Arbroath v Accies

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Arbroath v Accies

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:30 pm

For all my years following Accies somehow or other I’ve never been to Gayfield. No idea why other than at different times different leagues. A proper little football ground that they have spent money on over the years with improved floodlighting, covered terracing and for this season electronic ticket entry. Like Forfar a great example of a very professionally run club with a mixture of local businessmen and die hard supporters in the boardroom. Anyway to the game itself to quote Stan:

"But certainly, talking about Arbroath, it's going to be a very difficult game, they're a strong, well organised and well experienced team, who have a very experienced and good manager."

Sums it up. They have had a good start to the season so I’m going for a draw.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: Arbroath v Accies

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:27 pm

First time visit for me too.

Other than our one season in the fourth tier, I think you have to go back to the early seventies when we last played a league game against Arbroath. No doubt someone will be along shortly to correct that!

I agree it’s going to be a tough one.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:09 pm

We played the Red Lichties in Season 2003/4 in the Second Division at Gayfield. I would have thought it a lot earlier than that. It was a bliddy cold place in February when we won 2-0. Should be fine on Saturday and really looking forward to it, if not the 200 mile round trip :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:35 pm

porcupine wrote:We played the Red Lichties in Season 2003/4 in the Second Division at Gayfield. I would have thought it a lot earlier than that. It was a bliddy cold place in February when we won 2-0. Should be fine on Saturday and really looking forward to it, if not the 200 mile round trip :roll:

Thanks for correcting that. I mis-remembered. They weren’t in the fourth tier the season we were there. We were in the third tier with them in 2003/04, and the infamous 1999/2000 season when we were deducted 15 points. But before that

The previous time we were in the same division was 1977/78.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:08 pm

Should be fine on Saturday and really looking forward to it, if not the 200 mile round trip

Nothing else for it Porcupine. The train was going to cost nearly £50 quid and the bus meant changing at Dundee and getting back home late.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:29 am

Was anyone else there for a pre-season friendly in 1997 when we beat them 8-0? That was a great team - Paul Ritchie, Jose, Scott McCulloch, Martin McIntosh.

I think my last visit was when, I think, we got a 1-1 draw, James Couborough scoring. Missed the game in 03/4 where I think Chris Aitken scored a cracker.

Just checked, our last season with Arbroath at this level was 1979/80. We beat them 5-2 away in the last game, Neil Howie getting a hat trick.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:56 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:
Should be fine on Saturday and really looking forward to it, if not the 200 mile round trip

Nothing else for it Porcupine. The train was going to cost nearly £50 quid and the bus meant changing at Dundee and getting back home late.[/quote

Even with an oldies free ticket for the coach, it was a long journey with the Dundee change, and the train cost was quite out of the question. First visit to Gayfield for my mate, so we plan on leaving early-ish, grab a quick McD's at Arbroath, and maybe some kippers from the harbour smoke houses before the game. Plenty of free parking beside the ground.

Hopefully, a happy drive back down for 19.30 but, they way they are playing, i'd take a point at this stage.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Gav » Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:37 pm

Arbroath - 11th of September

Location - Arbroath, Gayfield Park, Queens Drive, DD11 1QB

Travelling links -

Train - Arbroath Station is around a 15 minute walk away from Gayfield Park. From the railway station come out of the main entrance and turn left. Walk down to the bottom of this road and turn right into Millgate Loan. The ground is approximately half a mile along this road.

Car - The ground is easy to find as it is located on the main A92. If approaching Arbroath on the A92 from the South, you will come to the ground on your right. There is plenty of street parking to be found along the sea front.

Pubs - most pubs seem to be located in the town centre towards the train station.

The Millgate - Located on Millgate Loan

The foundry Bar - just off Millgate Loan on East Mary Street.

Places to eat - Few Restaurants around the stadium to grab a quick bite.

The Bellrock - located along Ladyloan, serves fish and chips from midday

Burger and Pizza house - Located across the road from the Bellrock, more of a takeaway eatery.

Entry to ground - No cash gate at Arbroath this season but you can purchase your ticket until kick off here - https://www.arbroathfc.co.uk/away-tickets/

Adult - £19
Concession - £12
Parent and 1 child (under 12) - £22
Parent and 2 children (under 12) - £24
Gav
Championship

Postby Begs.hafc » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:12 pm

Tickets bought! First time at Gayfield for me as well! Cmon the Accies!!!
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:38 pm

No tickets/admission available on the day is not exactly the way to go for folk without a Smartphone or folk who decide last minute to go to games.

Could be worse though,could be this Vaccine Apartheid at the game and I say that as someone double jabbed.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby WILF » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:27 am

First time trip for me to Gayfield as well, looking forward to this, cracking day for a game , come one the Accies !!!
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby wearyelco » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:17 pm

Was at the 5-2 game . 0-0 at half time if I remember correctly. Nice sunny day too.
Same score today would be braw
wearyelco
Pub League

Postby smc4761 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:28 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:No tickets/admission available on the day is not exactly the way to go for folk without a Smartphone or folk who decide last minute to go to games.

Could be worse though,could be this Vaccine Apartheid at the game and I say that as someone double jabbed.

Only if crowds of more than 4000 outdoors do you need a vaccine passport. Accies need to worry on that score
smc4761
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Wake up call for Stan, as back to business as usual.

Man sent off. Check

Lots of goals conceded. Check

No goals scored. Check
smc4761
Premiership

Postby WILF » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:32 pm

The most inept Accies display I can remember and I’ve seen a few in 40 years.

Nothing more to say about that today, awful.
WILF
Seaside Leagues

Postby southoftheborder » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:40 pm

Very enjoyable day out.

Paddle in the sea at Carnoustie. Granddaughters first Accies match (6th generation). The sun was shining. Easy Parking. Standing to watch a game.

Nothing else to say.
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:12 pm

A 17 year old made his league debut from the bench so a good day for the top brass. That's all they care about.

Arbroath bullied us all over the pitch. Too many kids. And Jamie Hamilton was badly at fault for the second and his tackle was a shocker, red all day long. Fulton sold the first and looked a bit slow for the third but the guy was allowed to waltz through our so called defence. And Brian Easton, a great guy and a wonderful player for us, looks done I'm afraid. Still glad I went as it's a great awayday. Around 1,000 Arbroath fans there, I wonder if we'll have even 600 against Ayr.
Last edited by Stevie Clarke on Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm

Well beaten in the second half by a well organised team who had sussed us out in the first 45 mins. We looked a collection of individuals rather than a team. Game was gone at 2-0 down and the sending off was the nail in the coffin. Hamilton is known to refs as having had form for this type of lunging tackle, and the decision was an easy one even without VAR.

Their big centre forward was a handful throughout, and deserved his late goal. Free kick was also a belter with Fulton nowhere.

Only shot we had on goal was at 0-0 where Marley Redfern's overhead kick hit the post. No if that had gone in??? Popescu looks a big strong player with a good header. Luke Matheson had a poor game today with too many misplaced passes. Is her not a midfielder??

Stan the Man has a LOT to do here with a rampant Ayr winning 3-0 today as well.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:59 pm

Well I had a good day out (mostly apart from 80+ minutes). My sat nav took me via Crook of Devon, the ground was as good as expected in a traditional way, I enjoyed sitting on the terrace in the sun, I enjoyed my pie and cuppa,and on my way home Chipper was chipper on the radio. Apparently he did everything at Hamilton no need for a Director of Football. To the game itself Stan says it’s all about progression, well all I saw was regression. The team selection confused me and the bench apart from Lewis was horrendous. Where there injuries we are unaware of or did Stan get a lesson in youth selection from the owners? We might have had a fair bit of the ball in the first half but did little with it. Then Fulton fumbles and we go in one down. After they scored a second I didn’t see any way back and Hamilton’s sending off didn’t make any difference other than allow them to score a couple more. I left after the third. Time with the players because of international week clearly didn’t pay off. Never mind presumably we brought in a performance analyst. Don’t need one Stan that was crap.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Dr Slippy » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:46 pm

Couldn’t deal with Arbroath pressing us and far too many square passes at the back followed by the inevitable lump up the park.
Not in it in the 2nd half and no complaints about 0-4 final score.
I was initially pleased with Taylor’s appointment, but am already tired of his corporate management buzzword speak about “the process” and the fact that he seems more interested in employing an analyst than signing a striker. I remain to be convinced by his early team selections, especially as Mimnaugh & Redfern are too lightweight to play in the same starting 11.
He may well come good and turn things round, but early signs are concerning.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Next

Return to The Accies