A different feel about Accies

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

A different feel about Accies

Postby Bluesy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:28 pm

There is a very different feel about Accies at the moment (despite the defeat yesterday)
We would have taken something from the game yesterday with 11 men and still put up a decent fight.
The relegation race is now effectively distilled down to 4 teams and we are the team in the best form in my opinion.
Hopefully we can get Sean Want and Lewis Smith back in contention soon and I’m hoping it’s nothing serious with Oggy and Aaron Martin.
It’s maybe the importance of every game at the moment but the We are Hamilton we never give up mantra from a few years ago seems to me to be alive and kicking.
Bluesy
Premiership

Re: A different feel about Accies

Postby Euan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:11 pm

We’ve got a limited squad but we’re the form team of the bottom four.
If we can keep our key players in the team, we’re definitely in with a very good chance of being a Premier team next season.
Kilmarnock look in freefall and Alexander doesn’t seem to have made any improvements at Motherwell, who must be looking over their shoulders in trepidation.
St Johnstone and St Mirren at home, Aberdeen and Livi away before the split (I’d be hoping for at least 5 points).
Motherwell and County both face Kilmarnock, so someone will get points. They’re also both away to St Mirren so we’ll be looking for home wins.
Certainly should be interesting.
Euan
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:38 pm

Think Killie are 13 defeats in last 16 games.In all our bad runs over the years,I can't remember one as bad as that, although I may be wrong.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:42 pm

If the bottom 6 stays the same we’ll be at home v Kilmarnock and Motherwell after the split, away to County, Dundee Utd and St Johnstone.
St Mirren would be away too, so it’ll be 2 home games max, but against relegation rivals.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:42 pm

Would prefer st Johnstone to make top 6
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:08 pm

I think we should all be cheering on St Johnstone in Sunday's final and hope they have the mother of all piss ups after their extra time win!

As for similar bad runs to Killie, I think you'd need to back to our two Premier seasons in the late 80s. We lost 13 of our first 14 games the first time then had a horrendous run in the middle of the second one. When we finally won at Easter Road in 86/87 our record was W0 D3 L16.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:24 pm

Our first season up was awful (86/87) after the heights of the previous season.
I’d just graduated and started working in the summer of 86 and had to relocate to Aberdeen for 6 months, meaning I thankfully missed the worst of it.
By the time I moved back down we were already relegated but at least getting the odd result.
Euan
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:51 pm

Aye, it's a different feel alright! County winning tonight puts yet another angle on the season. Let's hope We'll and Killy continue their free fall, as it's squeaky bum time yet again.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 am

Aye, it's a different feel alright! County winning tonight puts yet another angle on the season. Let's hope We'll and Killy continue their free fall, as it's squeaky bum time yet again.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Montrose Week 2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:54 am

County Win and Oggy injury turn the weekend round in an instant.
Twists & Turns ahead , hold on tight - C'Mon the Accies.
Montrose Week 2
Pub League

Postby Bluesy » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:12 am

Any news on Oggy's injury?
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Montrose Week 2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:07 pm

Not heard anything , would imagine he misses next two at least.
Montrose Week 2
Pub League

Postby glenthedog » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:00 pm

Seen this kind of scenario with Accies teams a lot over the last 30 years or so - doesn't happen every season but has happened a fair bit.

We have to rebuild the squad during close-season and we try and fill up the team with a lot of young players or guys from elsewhere who didn't quite make it and are looking for a second chance. It takes the younger guys several months to settle into the step up to SPL level and to get past any fear factor they may have, and the second chance guys also take a while to get the confidence built up to have a real go at grabbing their second chance. All of that takes from August through to January, with lots of ups and downs in the process.

We then hit late January and the younger guys have eventually settled by this point, and the second chancers have started to believe again that they could maybe make it at Accies. The form then improves and the results follow, and I reckon we have a chance of staying up, certainly not any worse of a chance than any of the other bottom four clubs.
glenthedog
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:17 am

glenthedog wrote:Seen this kind of scenario with Accies teams a lot over the last 30 years or so - doesn't happen every season but has happened a fair bit.

We have to rebuild the squad during close-season and we try and fill up the team with a lot of young players or guys from elsewhere who didn't quite make it and are looking for a second chance. It takes the younger guys several months to settle into the step up to SPL level and to get past any fear factor they may have, and the second chance guys also take a while to get the confidence built up to have a real go at grabbing their second chance. All of that takes from August through to January, with lots of ups and downs in the process.

We then hit late January and the younger guys have eventually settled by this point, and the second chancers have started to believe again that they could maybe make it at Accies. The form then improves and the results follow, and I reckon we have a chance of staying up, certainly not any worse of a chance than any of the other bottom four clubs.

Interesting and very close to reality, GTD. Based on what you say it might pan out better than it looks today. The After Split games will be the usual cliff hangers yet again!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:33 am

I think post split is going to be desperately exciting. Maybe as well I can't be there in person as I'm enough of a bag of nerves watching the live streams. Really wish I could be at these games though!
Bluesy
Premiership

Return to The Accies