Club web site statement re Brian Rice

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Club web site statement re Brian Rice

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:00 pm

https://www.hamiltonacciesfc.co.uk/club ... fa-notice/

Provided he hasnt been betting on Hamilton to lose and rigging the team I cant imagine this will affect his position. He has self reported to the SFA.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: Club web site statement re Brian Rice

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:40 pm

That’s quite an optimistic take.

I have nothing but sympathy for Brian Rice. He has an addiction, and has self-declared, but will this be taken as any sort of mitigation? I doubt it.

It seems Brian has quite a history, including running up £65k in gambling debts in Quatar. I wonder whether what’s happened now is actually very serious, and this is an attempt to head off a heavy punishment.

The hypocrisy from the authorities is incredible. We accept massive sponsorship from the likes of Ladbrokes and Betfred, but hammer people who bet, many of them with recognised addictions?

If he’s banned for any significant period, he may not be our manager for the rest of this season. Not to mention potential sanctions against the club. This could be season-defining.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:44 pm

Where other clubs might have shown an immediate exit to an employee, our ethos and track-side advertising would suggest that there are more avenues to help with recovery from various addiictions at Hamilton Accies. We should all be supportive of anyone who has a genuine desire to break from any addiction that they have. Like TT, I suspect the Club will want to practice what they have been preaching.

It's crazy however that most of the football shirt & cup sponsorship comes from gambling and allowing people to be sucked further into a spiral of debt. Those that run the game have a lot to answer to.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:00 pm

That’s quite an optimistic take.

I said that before i saw that he has been charged witha specimen offence for every season going back to 2015 so this isnt just something that has happened in the last few months. So you may be right that its an attempt to head off a heavy sanction. We will just have to wait and see. And aside from the hypocracy of the authorities the club and its ‘association’ with HopeCBD are every bit as hypocritical. Preying on the weaknesses of those who use cannabis by insinuating that it has proven (not) medical properties IMO.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:26 pm

Interview with Alan Maitland re Rice’s situation.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51181444
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:40 pm

[quote="TerracingTomas"]Interview with Alan Maitland re Rice’s situation./quote]

Just confirms what I thought earlier.

How you pay a massive fine when you are inevitably already in debt gambling is something that another poster could perhaps explain :(
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:36 am

If it’s bets in games where he had no influence in then it’ll be a fine or if it’s like the Joey Barton case and it’s games he’s been involved in or can influence then it’ll be a ban, Barton got 18 month.

To be fair if he’s betting on accies to win then its carstairs he’s needing to go to for therapy.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:03 pm

I see the Daily Rancid, on its front page calling it the Biggest Betting Scandal Ever in Scottish Football. The club should ban them from the ground. Utter filth.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Return to The Accies