George Stanger

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

George Stanger

Postby TerracingTomas » Tue May 28, 2019 2:06 pm

From today’s Herald :-

New Zealand's George Stanger shows Scotland what they're missing at U20 World Cup

PROMISING Hamilton Academical youngster George Stanger could be the latest international starlet Scotland miss out on after an eye-catching performance at the Under-20 World Cup.
The 6ft 3in centre-back wrangled £4.5million Norway and Red Bull Salzburg striker Erling Haland as the All Whites kept a clean sheet in their 2-0 victory over the Scandinavians to secure a last-16 spot in Poland.
The 18-year-old's international call-up came on the back of a string of impressive UEFA Youth League performances during the Accies' run to the second knockout round against some of Europe's leading academy sides.

And the worry for the Tartan Army is the Melrose-born defender will stick with New Zealand, qualifying through his Auckland-born mother Bid, rather than opting for his homeland.
It would not be the first time Scotland have overlooked a Hamilton academy product and had their fingers burnt, with the well-publicised decision of James McCarthy to declare for Republic of Ireland in 2011.
With the current focus on the tug-of-war between England and Scotland youth set-ups over Celtic wonderkid Karamoko Dembele, it may be that Stanger's status flies under the radar at Hampden.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: George Stanger

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Tue May 28, 2019 2:55 pm

He should have been in the team the season just past and I only hope he isn't out of contract.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Tue May 28, 2019 4:27 pm

He is !
In 3 day's time ! !
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby TerracingTomas » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 pm

From an article in today's Scotsman :-

Contracted until the end of next season, Stanger and his dad will be hoping for the player to make the step up to the first team at Hamilton.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue May 28, 2019 6:39 pm

Anyone got Steve Clarke's email??? No. not 'our' poster Steve Clarke :D :D

Stanger has looked a prospect for a while and signed for another season is excellent news.

The numties at Hampden have had this Sevtic mentality for years but, with Eamon Brophy getting a shout today, let's hope the new Scotland Manager is more broad minded.

Rice maybe needs to put Stanger into the League Cup team to have him in the shop window for a Scotland call-up.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue May 28, 2019 8:27 pm

porcupine wrote:Anyone got Steve Clarke's email??? No. not 'our' poster Steve Clarke :D :D

Stanger has looked a prospect for a while and signed for another season is excellent news.

The numties at Hampden have had this Sevtic mentality for years but, with Eamon Brophy getting a shout today, let's hope the new Scotland Manager is more broad minded.

Rice maybe needs to put Stanger into the League Cup team to have him in the shop window for a Scotland call-up.

I agree with the last part. While I'm desperate for some cup success, I'd like to see young guys like Stranger, McCann, Hamilton and Winter get some game time, as well as Lewis and Reagan of course. If a 16 year old Hearts player can do so well against James Forrest, surely our better youth set up should be promoting more young players?
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 pm

According to transfermarket site he's only contracted till 31.5.19
And they are normally pretty accurate.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby TerracingTomas » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:29 pm

Now been called up for the New Zealand Under 23’s.

George Cairns quoted as saying: “I’m delighted that George has been called up again to represent New Zealand. I watched him during the u20s World Cup and he played very well, he’s come back from that and kept working hard and the rewards are paying off for him.”

But the rewards don’t include a first team try out!!!
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:43 pm

Now gone out on loan to EK in the Lowland League. Give he came to us from Stirling Albion having a been part of their first team and was left with Stirling for the remainder of that season I would have thought we were looking for a div 1 championship club? No idea what’s going on here.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:44 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:Now gone out on loan to EK in the Lowland League. Give he came to us from Stirling Albion having a been part of their first team and was left with Stirling for the remainder of that season I would have thought we were looking for a div 1 championship club? No idea what’s going on here.

Utterly bizarre choice of club. What is he going to learn at that level? Even Albion Rovers would have been a better bet.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:46 pm

So what’s happening here then?

With Accies he’s training every day , at EK it’ll be 2 nights a week so is he still training with us daytime and then going to EK for their training nights and game on Saturday and return to Douglas park on Monday?

Or does going part time suit other commitments ?
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Gav » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Meikle and Slaven are on loan to Linlithgow but train full time with us and can still play u20s/reserves. I am guessing Stanger will be the same.
Gav
Championship

Postby Euan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:06 am

A move that will give him more experience of first team football, which is good for his development, but I’d thought he was ready for first team football with us. I’ll trust Rice on this as he’s an experienced Coach of younger players and hopefully knows what’s best for him long term.
Euan
Premiership

Return to The Accies