Eamon Brophy

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Eamon Brophy

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:15 am

From the Sun :-

WINDFALL
Hamilton chief MacDonald expects Accies to be quids in when Brophy leaves Kilmarnock
HIS old boss says Eamonn Brophy has never been “riddled with self-doubt” — but insists that is a COMPLIMENT.
Hamilton owner Ronnie MacDonald brokered the move that saw shock Scotland call-up Brophy quit Accies for Kilmarnock in 2017.

No cash clause was inserted into the deal if he won a Scotland call-up — but MacDonald expects Accies to be quids in when the striker makes his next move.
MacDonald said: “We agreed to let him leave because there had been an impasse between him and Martin Canning. Eamonn felt he should have been starting more and Martin wanted him coming on in games, because he was still learning.
“The more he didn’t play, the more rebellious he got.
Confidence isn’t an issue with Eamonn. He’s not a boy I’d say is riddled with self-doubt!
“But we like to support our managers, so we sorted something out in the summer of 2017. It was resolved the best way for everybody.
“Lee McCulloch deserves a lot of credit because he was very keen to sign him.
“His first season at Kilmarnock was an extension of what had happened with Martin.
“Maybe Steve Clarke saw him through that and full credit to him.
“If he’d stayed with us, maybe he would have broken through or maybe he wouldn’t. But he has at Kilmarnock and that’s great for him.
“He is much more mature and smarter now. Physically, he’s a tank.
“Again, whether Steve taught him better than we did, I don’t know. It doesn’t matter, though. What matters is that he is showing what we always felt was there and he’s in the Scotland squad.
“When he moved it was a very convoluted deal because Kilmarnock were under financial restrictions and couldn’t buy a player at the time, but we were due a sizeable development payment.
“We worked something out that’s linked more to appearances and performances than a big sell-on.
“There is a sell-on clause for us if he moves on and I do believe he will. I know there are clubs interested in him.
“Why wouldn’t they be? The only Scottish player who scored more goals in the Premiership than him last season was David Turnbull of Motherwell.
“Nothing he’s done in the past two seasons has surprised me.
“I sent him a text when he got in the Scotland squad and he sent a nice text back. You want to see the guys you view as ‘your boys’ doing well.”

Confirms that there is a sell on clause if Brophy is sold by Killie. I highlighted the bit about Brophy and Canning’s relationship because I wonder if thats the real reason canning and the club parted ways, not results or performances but because he seemed incapable of developing our youth product?
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Re: Eamon Brophy

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Canning was the only figure at NDP who didn't rate Brophy.
Spoke to him personally around about that time and it was obvious the contempt he had for the Jumper.
Good job Ronnie spotted the potential.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby hollerman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:08 pm

I saw him play many times for the under 20s, and he was outstanding and scoring lots of goals. Unfortunately, any time I saw him play for the first team, he was less than effective, and made very little impact. Maybe that was Canning's fault - maybe not, who knows? Either way, it just wasn't working for him at Hamilton, but he is obviously now fulfilling his potential at Kilmarnock. Working under a better manager? and with better players? - probably a bit of both. Let's just hope that we don't allow any more of our current younger prospects to 'escape' in the same way!
hollerman
Pub League

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:38 pm

I remember he scored a cracking equaliser against Celtic and the very next game Canning left him on the bench against Motherwell, when his confidence would have been sky high. We went down to a tame defeat and that was the first time I shouted for Canning to go. He also scored a good goal against Killie the following season but it still wasn't enough for him to get a regular start. I think D'Acol was the regular starter back then which was maybe fair enough.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Euan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:55 pm

I always felt he and Docherty had a good understanding of each other’s game and that he should have been playing more when Greg broke into the team.
Didn’t like his reaction when scoring at NDP, but maybe that was aimed at Canning. Was he still here then ?
Euan
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:28 pm

Yep think it was aimed more at Clueless than the Club.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Return to The Accies