Canning's Legacy

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Canning's Legacy

Postby aldoaccie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:58 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Re the crowd at Easter Road, I don't know how to post them on here but I've pics saved taken from the stand that day, not by me, that shows most of the away support and I would say it looked about 600 not 335 (where did you get that figure, aldoaccie?). I know the club said they sold over 1000 tickets but it was never that many and I doubt many would have been in the main stand. The pics were taken during the celebrations and you can see many fans down the very front with a still packed section behind them.

YOH - I remember at the game thinking they had brought at least 300, probably a bit more.

I was merely using 335 as a random number in any play off game at home that may follow, such is the lethargy with our home ‘support’. It wasn’t directed at the Hibs play off game as there was of course a lot more of us there. I was, needless to say, one of the 600 odd and have the claim to fame as being in that famous picture of Alex with the fans in the background. Can’t recall getting home that night...
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:37 pm

That is so irresponsible.
DrinkAware.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:18 pm

aldoaccie wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:Re the crowd at Easter Road, I don't know how to post them on here but I've pics saved taken from the stand that day, not by me, that shows most of the away support and I would say it looked about 600 not 335 (where did you get that figure, aldoaccie?). I know the club said they sold over 1000 tickets but it was never that many and I doubt many would have been in the main stand. The pics were taken during the celebrations and you can see many fans down the very front with a still packed section behind them.

YOH - I remember at the game thinking they had brought at least 300, probably a bit more.

I was merely using 335 as a random number in any play off game at home that may follow, such is the lethargy with our home ‘support’. It wasn’t directed at the Hibs play off game as there was of course a lot more of us there. I was, needless to say, one of the 600 odd and have the claim to fame as being in that famous picture of Alex with the fans in the background. Can’t recall getting home that night...

Cheers, I wondered if you were maybe the guy that did the otherwise excellent article on Accies in the current issue of Nutmeg. He was actually there and thinks we only had 300 present. Bizarre!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby aldoaccie » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:56 pm

Nah, not me.
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Most of the talk so far has been about the crowds as a result of Canning. There is no denying that the style of football and poor results drove many away and many/most may not come back.

Did Canning do anything positive ? As a major critic of Canning myself he did some good. First wins against the bigot brothers in years. He also brought through some players, who have since moved on to bigger and better things????? Docherty, Devlin, Ferguson off the top of my head

He also kept us in the SPFL for a number of years, I will discount the first year as that was pretty much Alex Neil doing. The football may have been pish but his remit I assume was to keep us in the division which he did
smc4761
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:00 am

smc4761 wrote:Most of the talk so far has been about the crowds as a result of Canning. There is no denying that the style of football and poor results drove many away and many/most may not come back.

Did Canning do anything positive ? As a major critic of Canning myself he did some good. First wins against the bigot brothers in years. He also brought through some players, who have since moved on to bigger and better things????? Docherty, Devlin, Ferguson off the top of my head

He also kept us in the SPFL for a number of years, I will discount the first year as that was pretty much Alex Neil doing. The football may have been pish but his remit I assume was to keep us in the division which he did

While I agree with some of the points, I don't believe we beat Celtic under Canning?
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Previous

Return to The Accies