UEFA Youth league 2018 -19

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: UEFA Youth league 2018 -19

Postby Todd_is_God » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:27 am

That was an excellent result for the lads - very well done. Huge character to come back from losing the tie with 5 minutes left, and again from 2-0 up in the shoot out. Showed they deserved their place in the competition.

Im not convinced by the crowd figure though - I arrived around 7.20 and I struggled to find a seat. The main stand holds 3,300. If there were 900 empty seats I didn't see them. Maybe they counted the attendance at kick off, with many late arrivals due to the traffic not counted?

Midtjylland's U19s are unbeaten since April, and currently sit top of their domestic league. Their 1st team also sit atop their league. Another tough task for the boys. Hopefully they can keep themselves in the tie again for the home leg, and get another crowd like tonight.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:48 am

A very enjoyable game, played at pace, and well done Accies in securing the win.
Connelly made up for his two blunders which almost cost us the game by performing magnificently in the shoot out with 3 saves.
He looked a good goalkeeping prospect with 7 Smith, 8 Mimnaugh, 10 Reilly also impressing.
Regarding the crowd, I arrived at 705 and struggled to find 2 seats together. We ended up front centre but the stand was packed. If it holds 3300 I’d estimate a 3000 attendance.
No money from ticket sales but plenty from the pie stall by the looks of things.
Euan
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 am

Great night, if only the first team games could have the same atmosphere.

Perhaps an incentive for Ronnie to try and get them back in, stuff of dreams a crowd like that at accies every other Saturday!

I thought the wee left back (his name escapes me) was outstanding.

I also noticed a celtic scout in the main stand, here is hoping these boys stay with us to First Team level.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:54 am

I had a quick exchange with another poster on Sunday, about how big a crowd to expect last night. I scoffed at his guess of 2,000, and suggested 4-500. How wrong can you be? Amazing turnout.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Gav » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:08 am

PrideOfLanarkshire wrote:Great night, if only the first team games could have the same atmosphere.

Perhaps an incentive for Ronnie to try and get them back in, stuff of dreams a crowd like that at accies every other Saturday!

I also noticed a celtic scout in the main stand, here is hoping these boys stay with us to First Team level.

Left back was Leon McCann.

There were 2 guys wearing Celtic jackets and trousers sitting in front of me but they spent most of the time on their phones and hardly watched the game.
Gav
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:23 am

Gav wrote:
PrideOfLanarkshire wrote:Great night, if only the first team games could have the same atmosphere.

There were 2 guys wearing Celtic jackets and trousers sitting in front of me but they spent most of the time on their phones and hardly watched the game.

I noticed on Twitter that Manchester City's Scottish scout was there too. I would imagine there were quite a few scouts there.

Hopefully Lewis Smith is tied into a longer contract than his namesake Ferguson!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:06 pm

Disappointed there is no major media coverage this morning. Nothing on the BBC Scotland website or STV. Stv covered the original draw and the first leg but nothing this morning. Irrespective of the crowd, the actual tournament, Accies spresence in it and the performance merits formal coverage. Hopefully they will pick up the story and run with it in the next round. BT have the tv rights and did cover some first leg games but only those involving big english clubs afternoon kick offs.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:49 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:
Gav wrote:

I noticed on Twitter that Manchester City's Scottish scout was there too. I would imagine there were quite a few scouts there.

Hopefully Lewis Smith is tied into a longer contract than his namesake Ferguson!

The difference here is Lewis Smith has Accies in his blood, therefore less likely to pull a fly one like Ferguson whose allegiance is somewhere near Kinning Park.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby porcupine » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:13 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:Disappointed there is no major media coverage this morning. Nothing on the BBC Scotland website or STV. Stv covered the original draw and the first leg but nothing this morning. Irrespective of the crowd, the actual tournament, Accies spresence in it and the performance merits formal coverage. Hopefully they will pick up the story and run with it in the next round. BT have the tv rights and did cover some first leg games but only those involving big english clubs afternoon kick offs.

Hardly surprising when the Accies 'Official' web-site STILL has nothing about the game/result, othet than twitter feeds from those who were there. Don't we continue to miss a trick when presented with a great opportunity for publicity?? :oops: :oops:

The UEFA comments were ' L'entrée est gratuite pour le match d'UEFA Youth League de ce soir à Hamilton et les supporters ont répondu présent. La tribune qui est ouverte est pleine. Admission is free for tonight's UEFA Youth League match in Hamilton and supporters have responded. The grandstand that is open is full'

Looked pretty full, from what I saw, and the Directors decision to allow all in for free, was the correct one, with a bumper crowd of youngsters as well. We can only hope that some of them will want to come back to another home game on a regular basis, but the first team have to produce the performances and results, to keep them as Accies supporters, before many are sucked into the 'old firm' mentality.

Another 'free' night for the next match in a month's time is essential to encourage new supporters.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:20 pm

There has been a fair bit of negativity around the club recently, well the first team, and I am one of those

However great to see the young lads putting in a great performance. As with all things Accies we always do things the hard way. When they scored with 5 minutes to go I am sure many thought we had blown it. But no, full credit to the lads for fighting back and showing great character

Is this one of the best ever results for our club?

And shame on the media for their total lack of coverage. You can bet you bottom dollar if that had been any of the big 2 there would have been coverage

The old adage is if you are good enough you are old enough. Anyone likely to break into first team this season
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:17 pm

Is this one of the best ever results for our club?

A good question SMC. I think I’m correct in saying its our best ever result in a European competition ;)
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:35 pm

They just showed the equaliser and winning save on the STV Six O'clock news.

Last night was reminiscent of the BC days...before Canning with an Accies team displaying the Alex Neil "we're Hamilton Accies,we never give up mantra ".Lots of faces at the game who have been missing at first team games this season and it was great to see the young kids and their parents/coaches etc going as mental as the rest of us.

Fans are there if we cultivate them.Build a Stand behind the goals and have dirt cheap tickets for parents/kids and we would fill it most games.Last night on a bitterly cold night with Champions League football on TV,around 3000 people turned up;that should give food for thought for the owners surely.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:53 pm

I doubt we'll be building any stand any time soon. Especially when we rarely fill the stands we've got. Where's the funding coming from? How would it pay for itself?

Easy to spend money; the challenge at Accies is how to bring it in.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:22 pm

No need to build a stand.
Build a covered terracing,make it cheaper entry and get the singing section housed there like the good old days at ODP.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Neilhoodwasmyhero » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:47 pm

When will we get confirmation of the date of the match? Not a lot of time to arrange flights!
Neilhoodwasmyhero
Seaside Leagues

Previous

Return to The Accies