Rangers Home - 21/10

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Rangers Home - 21/10

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Just seen Steven Gerrard's post-match comments.

"Glad we got the three points today ... the result flattered us".

He's right. That game was pretty even for about 80 minutes. In the end they probably deserved to win because, one way or another, they started to score goals.

I feel pretty aggrieved about the officiating, but we went in hard (as I'd expect us to for a battle like this), took our bookings, we kept 11 men on the pitch, I'm hearing something about a spit at Morelos (?) and I know to reserve judgement about tight decisions until I see TV replays. Martin Canning is saying we should have had a first half penalty for the grapple on Miller, and it certainly looked like it at the time. But I'm not about to blame the result on the officials.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Accies Bill » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:49 pm

You go to the game today not expecting much especially after recent performances and team news didn't fill me with confidence either. But what I do expect is a fair game. Now I accept there was mistakes by players today etc and some things could be better, but that performance by what is regarded as supposed top level Scottish official was a joke and should be looked at. See's fouls that are beyond belief, flashing cards then bottles it when it comes to big decisions.
I expect Rangers to beat us, they should, more resources etc but they don't need officials failing to do their job properly.
Accies Bill
Pub League

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Does Canning come under the " Officials failing to do their jobs properly" banner?
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:49 pm

Can’t believe that Happy Clapper is saying he can’t fault the selection when any fan in the ground could tell you Penny is a complete fraud before a ball was kicked. He is Richard Roy levels of bad, hopefully his contract is torn up through the week. Has shown any time he’s played he’s dreadful.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:09 pm

Whilst it may have been a better performance, bottom line is we lost, as was to be expected

We are so lucky in that no matter how bad we are, there are 3 teams who somehow manage to be worse than us
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Canning is Sewer Pish.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Hammy-hoops » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:10 pm

Came back from game absolutely sick. Stonewall penalty turned down 2 very dubious penalty's given, a gutsy performance from players who probably get less combined than many individual Rangers players, a team really playing for the jersey & their manager.
Yet what really rubs salt in the wound is what do some take out of the game, canning out & if you don't agree you're a happy clapper.
Hammy-hoops
Pub League

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:14 pm

Just ignore them - there are certain posters on this board who are more to be pitied than scolded H-h. Or ignored more than pitied. Although you have to admire their persistence when they don't even go to games as their mum keeps them in in case they stub their toes on the kerb. Wee puddings.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:33 pm

Canning Out
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby aldoaccie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Damn and double damn. Chance lost.

Cheers, JR Ewing. Your dad would have been so proud of your The The Rangers bias. Numpty.

Please o’ please can we show he same level of desire for the rest of the season? Team deserves plaudits for today’s performance.
aldoaccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Hammy-hoops wrote:Came back from game absolutely sick. Stonewall penalty turned down 2 very dubious penalty's given, a gutsy performance from players who probably get less combined than many individual Rangers players, a team really playing for the jersey & their manager.
Yet what really rubs salt in the wound is what do some take out of the game, canning out & if you don't agree you're a happy clapper.

Have to disagree here, i want what i believe is best for the team and sorry that is simply not Canning. Since the start of the year his win percentage has now dropped below 20%, 5 wins from 26 games. Generally the football we play is atrocious, so maybe you can see why we want this man out. he is way out of his depth.

He has been there for almost 4 years and has the standard of football improved or the results go any better. NO is the simple answer.

We have plenty of young players coming though and at the levels below the first team those teams are doing very well. When they hit the first team, most seem to struggle, is it bad coaching, lack of confidence a combination of that plus others

Sorry but any other manager with a win percentage of less than 20% would not be in the job. In previous years win percentage was around 23% so he is getting worse. In the last year the only sides he has beaten have been teams that got relegated, have just come up or fair do's Motherwell, twice. hardly an inspiration
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Best way is just to vote with your feet and stay away.
Even McDonald and Gray must eventually act once the crowds drop even further.
Genuine fans who have followed the team for decades are sick of it and are not going.
Canning needs to go.Fullstop.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm

Slightly more promising in terms of efforts on goal especially in the first half but still poor on the whole.

No penalty for the tussle between miller and tavernier, both players were pulling each other’s shirt and miller throws himself down first.

Dallas bias? He could easily have red carded the Accies player for a dreadful challenge in the first few minutes for an over the ball studs into Morelos ankle. How he never even got a yellow was criminal.

Accies players provoking Morelos at every opportunity is small time, that’s a hearts/levein tactic and awful for the game. Just concentrate on doing your job and winning the game and as for the spitting incident I’m sure they’re talking about the flashpoint between Morelos and McKinnon where McKinnon got fouled and felt the need to charge towards Morelos to provoke and he did spit on the ground but not at him but this is the same McKinnon who leaves his foot in most tackles.

As for the penalties both are stone wallers, why penny doesn’t hook the first clear with his left foot is because he’s predominantly right footed and not comfortable using his left so stooped in and caused the ball to hit his arm. Foul every time so penalty. The second Morelos is running away from goal and his right knee catches his leg, foul every time so penalty.

The incident I would query is the challenge on miller after he has the effort on goal in the 2nd half, both mcgregor and katic smash into him after he’s had the shot. If that’s anywhere on the pitch it’s a foul but keepers are allowed to fly out and smash players with no punishment.

Ultimately we didn’t deserve 1-1 but not 1-4 either
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Ultimately we don't deserve Canning either but we've got him.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 pm

I was fearful when I saw the team but we played well and were hard done by.

Once again,Big Freddy was making great runs off the ball and none of our midfielders appeared on the same wavelength delaying the quick ball;this was the sort of striker Templeton was crying out for last season.

Dallas made sure we were never winning that game and it showed what I thought in that this Rangers team is all hype over substance.

Finally a sore point for me is how the players got themselves up for this game which wasn't the case verses the likes of Livvy or Dundee.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:35 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote: a sore point for me is how the players got themselves up for this game which wasn't the case verses the likes of Livvy or Dundee.

I would think the biggest motivation yesterday was to restore some pride after the Hibs debacle.

But I sort of agree. Most of us would have written off the points before yesterday. However the costly losses have been Livingston, St Johnstone and Dundee - all games we could have won, and three games from which we should have taken some points. Consider how different the table would look if we had won just one of those games. If we're to stay up, we have to do better against those opponents - any points from the likes of Rangers or Celtic are just an unexpected bonus.

Two very difficult away games coming up, to complete the first round of league games, and yet somehow we need to find points from them.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:02 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:I was fearful when I saw the team but we played well and were hard done by.

This just about sums it up.

We had to field a brand new central defence, yet we went toe-to-toe with one of the best teams in the country, and were ten minutes from pulling off a surprise result.

A lot of things worked well: our midfield competed; our full backs both did their job; Tshiembe was an assured presence in the heart of defence; Ziggy marked Candeias out of the game; Brustad and Miller caused them problems. Our approach was perhaps over-cautious, but who knows how a more gung-ho style might have left us open at the back? Late on, we went for it - Ziggy was understandably disappointed to come off, but it was a tactical masterstroke, as Boyd equalised, and if we'd got a result, everyone would have been praising Martin Canning for that move.

Some things didn't work so well: Woods could have done better with the two goals from open play; Brustad was too isolated (what's the Norwegian for plus ça change?); we failed to create enough chances and to get enough shots on target; Penny was naive conceding the second penalty. But taken as a whole, we played well.

I thought the ref favoured them overall, and as for the penalties... now that I've watched TV highlights, I think all three were marginal decisions. Yes, Miller was also holding Tavernier, but if a striker is held by a defender in the box, that should be a penalty, and had it been at the other end, I think it would have been. Some doubt over whether the first of theirs hit Penny's arm - was it shoulder to knee? And for their second, Morelos made a lot over the slightest of touches from behind, in a situation where he was going nowhere. I've seen them given, and not given, but how often do you see two in a row when there's room for doubt in both? So much for refs "evening things up".

Hey ho. You can't just write off the last six or seven minutes plus stoppage time. You have to compete to the end, and we didn't. I imagine Martin would have liked Ziggy back on after we equalised, and of course Candeias was involved in the move for their last goal. We were close, but not quite close enough, and while we could have got a point on another day, we probably deserved to lose narrowly, overall. But 4-1 was a travesty.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Held off posting until saw BBC highlights last night.

Dallas was really consistent (NOT). Disallows an Accies penalty claim where two players were grappling with each other, right in front of the Rangers support, then gives two soft penalties in front of the same Rangers support, where there was questionable hand ball, and the possible barest of touches on the "Diver". Morelos is a huge advantage to Rangers despite his unsteadiness on his two feet. Never seen a player falling down so easily when no-one is near him. Pity Dallas did not see him doing a "Best Falls" when he whistled for the start of the second half. More than one opportunity to give him a yellow card for simulation.

Although Ziggy was clearly very unhappy to be hooked, and justifiably so, Canning saw that we needed to attack more at that stage, and the two forward players made the difference. What I don't inderstand about MC's sub of Ziggey was that he had hooked a full back with a proven good rack record and left an unproven one in Penny, who, of course, turned into a bomb scare in the penalty box later.

We might have sneaked the draw, or lost 2-1, but for any Rangers supporters to think they have a great team, well....!!!

Interstingly, a neutral supporter who was sitting beside me, said that now he understood why the 'wee' teams always think they get a raw deal in refereeing decisions, when playing either Celtic or Rangers. Don't try to convince me that Andrew Dallas was a neutral official yesteday. Thought it was a shockingly inconsistent performance from start to finish, with only very late issue of yellows to Rangers players.

BUT, our team battled hard throughout, and praise for that. Approach both Aberdeen & Killy with the same 'in your face' manner and see what happens.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:45 pm

For see what happens read #GUBBING
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Auld yin » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Recorded the game and watched it back today, the biggest biased idiot was not Dallas it was the co commentator on sky. Had it in for us from the kick off, gave Woods loads of stick and never said a word after the two saves he made. Wille stated earlier that Woods could have done better with the two goals, what could he have done better ? 9 times out of 10 the first one would have ended up over the bar, all that was, was a good finish and Woods had to come out to narrow the angle, a tackle from our quality defender would have helped, playing behind that lot must be a nightmare. As for the fourth goal he had to wait until the Rangers player was in the box before he could go out to him which he did just as the player came into the box and he blocked the shot, no hesitation as the sky fool said, what happened after that was part luck and part our quality defence.
Penny is the culprit for the result if you have to blame someone. Only Accies could get the leveller with ten minutes to go and still not get a point. Whatever if any instructions came from the bench the players seemed not to know what to do or where to be after our goal.
Auld yin
Pub League

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Archives