Accies .V. St. Mirren - MATCH THREAD

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Accies .V. St. Mirren - MATCH THREAD

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:39 pm

smc4761 wrote:St Midden got the boost of a new manager, decent result against Celtic and now Gus MacPherson comes in, so looking positive for them.

We have a team short on confidence, could not hit a barn door from 5 yards and Calamity Canning

At least I am going to be positive though. positive we will lose this 1-0, dreadful game.

Good old-fashioned Accies fan negativity. There's always plenty to be negative about, but why dwell on it?

All is not well. And you've put your finger on the big issue for me - confidence. This team needs to start winning games, and getting into the winning habit. Losing is also a habit, hence my concern that losing the next two could leave us in big trouble. We need a solid team performance, building from the back as we have been - and something that's been missing so far, someone lifting the team with a bit of flair.

I'm ready for a long afternoon. 0-0 for over an hour, lots of frustration, then hopefully Accies to get the winner. I'll take a "dreadful game" if we can come away with a win.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:59 pm

think I need to keep doing this prediction stuff. Every time I predict we will fall flat they surprise us. Not often we score 3 goals in a game and dont concede.Credit where its due

Dundee getting humped today could be good thing. They must be really low on confidence and if we can carry this form to next weeks game and get a win, McCann will be out on his arse I think
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:45 pm

Just brilliant.

I think we were all a bit nervous in the early stages, but from midway through the first half we took control and looked great going forward. The switch to a fluid 4-3-3 (or 4-3-2-1?) paid off, with everyone playing their part. There were no failures in our side today. Kilgallon looks a class act. Boyd and Miller caused them all sorts of problems, and Brustad impressed with his control even without his goal - a confidence boost for him, and for the whole team.

Something to build on. We seem to have found a system that works for us, where every player knows what's expected of him, and can do it effectively. 3-0 didn't flatter us, it was a fair reflection of the game, and encourages me to think there's at least one team in this league much worse than us...

And I don't mean Dundee! Even if they sack McCann before next Saturday (or even before I finish typing this post), you have to fancy us to beat them on today's showing. If we can pull ahead of St Mirren and Dundee, we can start to look up the table. Trying not to get carried away. ;)

Spare a thought for Ziggy Gordon, who said he returned to Accies out of loyalty to Martin Canning, and now must be wondering how he's going to get back into his team.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:49 pm

McCann and Canning must stay.
I've always stated that Martin would get it right.
For a start,that win today must have bunged up his win % by around 60 %
Great job!
Well done !
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:54 pm

When I saw both Imrie and Boyd were starting I feared the worse. How wrong I was. That was the Imrie of old and that was Boyds’ best performance in Accies shirt. Indeed my man of the match. But that was a team performance Kilgallon looked composed at the back and marshalled the defence and Millers performance suggest a real player developing there. Brustad also looked confident up front. A bit of confidence in the team in the second half generated by the first half goals. Well done Martin and the players. And the icing on the cake? No sound system meant not having to listen to the usual gibberish from the announcer.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:22 pm

What a difference from recent weeks.Some great passing football and Mikel Miller with freedom to roam with devastating effect.No failures,although special mentions must go to Kilgannon who looked like a reincarnation of Swailes/Big Marko in defence,Scott Martin who allowed the aforementioned Mikel Miller to roam to great effect and the big Brustad up front with great link up play.

Still a wee bit lacking in midfield and we could have been more ruthless are the only slight concerns.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:
Euan wrote:
A 0-0 draw would suit both teams and that’s a likely outcome.

As you say, that points to a draw!

Glad to be wrong but sorry to miss it.

Only consolation being we always win the big games that I miss while I sit patiently through all the defeats.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:12 am

Had 4/5 Draws on my accumulator and guess who beat me for the 5th and £900plus? Lol.
Always thought this was a banker draw despite the previous pumped post,glad to be proved wrong on both counts!
Accies above Well again so Natural Order restored once more.
Ftw.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:57 am

Just rewatched on BBC Alba.

Both goals from open play were great, Boyd so unlucky not to score our fourth when he hit the bar.

But I can't see the foul by Jordan Kirkpatrick on Dougie - was that a penalty?
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:03 am

Nope. IMO Dougie used his experience and lent into Kilpatrick and the ref bought it. Hey all is fair in love and war and a relegation battle :D
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:48 pm

TerracingTomas wrote:

Nope. IMO Dougie used his experience and lent into Kilpatrick and the ref bought it. Hey all is fair in love and war and a relegation battle :D

Yes, that's how I saw it, although not in real time when I had no idea.

Our play merited it. I was amazed to see the final card count was 3 to them and 2 to us - I thought they got a lot more, and deserved to.

The pen was actually at a good height for the keeper, but hit with such power that even though he got a hand to it, it still went in.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:05 pm

Quiet today on AcciesWorld. Just ten posts since full time today (three of those by me, not counting this one).

What's happened?

Oh yeah, Accies won well with a good performance. Nothing to moan about.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Don van Vliet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:47 pm

I was able to catch much of the game on Alba. (There's a lot to be said for having commentary you can't understand). I can't recall seeing such a one-sided match, with St Mirren offering so little. They were lucky to get nil.

If we had lost points by having a penalty like that given against us, we would have been raging. Even in real time, on first watching, I could see it was a bought one. I'm glad the game didn't hinge on it. Mickel took it well, and his second was well struck also. The first was the best of the three, though, with a good passing move and shot creating the chance for Brustad.

Grounds for optimism. It's always a sign that there's good news when it's quiet on Acciesworld.

(Edited for a stupid typo)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:24 pm

Martin is God!
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Gav » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Before we get ideas beyond our station remember we needed a superb block by Want to stop us going 1 down and if we did I dont know if we would have got back into it.

However after that we were really good and we have to go with the same team next week.

McGowan, Kilgallon, Martin, Miller, Boyd and Imrie were all superb and the rest not far behind.
Gav
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:56 pm

Gav wrote:Before we get ideas beyond our station remember we needed a superb block by Want to stop us going 1 down and if we did I dont know if we would have got back into it.

However after that we were really good and we have to go with the same team next week.

McGowan, Kilgallon, Martin, Miller, Boyd and Imrie were all superb and the rest not far behind.

Fair comments, but Dundee are there for the taking next week. 6 games played, 6 losses, and they've conceded the first goal in every game.

Score first next Saturday, and it should be like yesterday all over again.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:30 pm

Some terrific stuff yesterday and hopefully we've seen the last of the 5 at the back nonsense. No-one let us down and Boyd played as well as I've seen him, so overall it felt all the more enjoyable for being so unexpected, with the joyous addition of a few St Mirren supporting pals being quite despondent afterwards, having predicted a scudding for us !!

As for the penalty, Imrie does that falling over thing when someone's behind him with monotonous regularity, most recently against Livi last week when he went down in very similar circumstances but wasn't quite as 'creative' in manufacturing contact as he was yesterday. He does it inside and outside the box and has become such an avid faller-over I'm surprised referees give him any fouls at all. It does my head in at times, but penalties given in response are always welcome :oops:

If we can beat Dundee next week it would probably be a fairly decent start to the season, with working it up Neil McCann being an added, but fitting, bonus. :D
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:56 pm

Chase Outlaw wrote:3-0 Accies the goals coming from 7 attempts on target all in the first half

Take a bow that man.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby smc4761 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:13 pm

Well a good team performance and the consensus seems to be the formation should be 4 at the back for Dundee game. You can pretty much guarantee that canning will opt for either 3 or 5 at back then.

Need a win against Dundee as our next 2 games are Hibs away and a rejuvenated Gers at home so may be struggling for points in those games
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 am

Hibs away?
What's so hard about that?
Sevco are not unbeatable either.They will be wary of the Magical Motown Magician Miller Man.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Archives