From East Kilbride to Motherwell - a seasons review

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

From East Kilbride to Motherwell - a seasons review

Postby Big Wurzil » Sat May 12, 2018 8:33 pm

It started on 15th July last year at the K park against our closest South Lanarkshire rivals? And finished at our biggest North Lanarkshire rivals.

Looking back at the EK game through the red flares our defending was already under scrutiny as they were gifted 2 opportunities to go ahead and embarrass us in the first half alone. QoS at home we should’ve lost and Albion away 4-4 already gave a few of us question marks of the season to come. Aberdeen comfortably put us out.

But then 4 games in and although we lose at Aberdeen we beat a poor Dundee team and fortunately away to hibs who pounded us in the first half. 2nd half we caned them and arguably scored the goal of the season. A draw at Kilmarnock against a pre Clarke team gave us 7 vital points.

We then waited 2 months for our next point in a truly awful 0-0 game v partick, dire beyond belief. A nighttime game and could easily have crashed out during it.

But off the back of that we win 2 and draw 3 of our next five at Dundee Aberdeen rangers hibs and hearts. And finish the year with a home win v Ross County and that amazing 3-1 win at Motherwell.

After that it was all downhill, 10 points in 2018 with 9 defeats in our last 10 is relegation form.

33 points and we stayed up.

C’mon Accies :D
Big Wurzil
Championship

Re: From East Kilbride to Motherwell - a seasons review

Postby accies1874 » Sat May 12, 2018 9:26 pm

From the end of October (3-1 away to Dundee) to the final game before the break (3-1 away to Motherwell), I really enjoyed it.

Other than away to Hibs, I won't remember anything else about the season.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby AcciesFCSLO » Sat May 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Somehow the boys pulled it out the bag granted others around us were poor but somehow Martin and the boys done it that period in November was superb Rangers and Hibs away personal highlights for me.

I would like to pass on to all it has been a privilege and an honour to be your SLO this season and for the past 15 months (our clubs 1st) I’m signing off with simply thanks for the support & “constructive criticism” I hope I have made a difference for you
Email: sean@acciesfc.co.uk
Twitter: @AcciesFCSLO
Phone: 01698 368650
AcciesFCSLO
Championship

Postby Gav » Sat May 12, 2018 9:51 pm

3-1at Dundee was good but Easter Road in September was by far the best day if the season.
Gav
Championship

Postby Alty accie » Sat May 12, 2018 10:38 pm

AcciesFCSLO wrote:Somehow the boys pulled it out the bag granted others around us were poor but somehow Martin and the boys done it that period in November was superb Rangers and Hibs away personal highlights for me.

I would like to pass on to all it has been a privilege and an honour to be your SLO this season and for the past 15 months (our clubs 1st) I’m signing off with simply thanks for the support & “constructive criticism” I hope I have made a difference for you

Thank you very much for all your hard work.
Alty accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Sun May 13, 2018 12:16 am

AcciesFCSLO wrote:Somehow the boys pulled it out the bag granted others around us were poor but somehow Martin and the boys done it that period in November was superb Rangers and Hibs away personal highlights for me.

Thanks and appreciate having you on board, it’s not been the same since Stan (Scott) stopped posting.
“Signing off” for this season I assume, not permanently!
Looking forward to another season in the premier league.
Euan
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun May 13, 2018 9:15 am

Somehow the boys pulled it out the bag
No they didn’t we were saved by 2 really rank rottenteams below us. Looking to next season I would like to see 3 things happening. martin going as he has shown no tactical and motivational abilities and has not developed as a manager. However he is bomb proof and even if next season doesnt go well and we get relegated he will be given a season in the championship. I promise i wont mention martin going again as its a waste of breath. secondly Templeton staying. Splash the cash and offer him that bit more. if i was a squad player I wouldnt object as it could make a huge difference next season.Three a bit of investment in the squad and some astute transfer business. The youngsters coming through at the moment dont show a great deal of potential and they will need all the support they can get. Looking forward to next season already :D :D :D
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sun May 13, 2018 10:36 am

Love your optimism as always TT. Of you 3 predictions only 1 will come through. Not the one I want but have to agree. Canning is bomb proof, he aint going anywhere

Splash the cash and keep Temps. Heres hoping but think the lad himself will know its a sinking ship, 9 defeats from last 10 games. We will have very little money so its goodnight from him

Some astute transfer business. Now you are taking the mick. Struggling to think of many decent transfers brought in by Canning that have been a success over a couple of seasons. Skondras, maybe, Temps defo, but the rest pretty much oh dear.

Just have to hope that some of the youngsters coming through will shine.
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun May 13, 2018 10:50 am

Some astute transfer business. Now you are taking the mick.
Honest I wasnt but I didnt want to mention our record to date or i would be accused of being a moaning negative git :lol: :lol: :lol:
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Thing is TT from a first team perspective what have we really got to be positive about. Shaunt Want is doing OK McCann has potential and given time Fulton should be OK, if Woods goes, which I expect he will
smc4761
Premiership

Postby TerracingTomas » Sun May 13, 2018 1:46 pm

Can’t disagree. McCann at times loses focus and concentration. If that could be corrected, although Dougie bawling at him doesn’t work. Want is looking not bad and the jury is out on Fulton IMO. Remember we have the young lads at Stirling Albion and Spain to come in. Not sure if their seen as under 20 recruits or first team potentials.
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun May 13, 2018 3:41 pm

The first thing to record is that it is an unprecedented achievement for Accies to stay in the top flight for five seasons. I saw enough in our first few games to anticipate it, and despite ridicule from one or two of the usual pessimists, it proved to be the case.

I couldn't have anticipated some of what went on to happen: a financial fraud that cost the club close to £1m, which would have been enough to destroy us in the past; one of our close competitors, Kilmarnock, reborn from relegation bankers with an inspired managerial appointment; loss of half a team in the course of the season - Devlin, Skondras, Donati, Gillespie, Docherty, Longridge; three dreadful losing streaks; and yet somehow we still managed to stay up with just 33 points.

You can cherry pick the evidence that Partick and Ross County were dreadful, that we had a shocking defensive record, whatever. I can cherry pick back that we scored a barrowload of goals, we secured decisive and unexpected wins at Ibrox, Easter Road and Fir Park, etc. You can't say we were lucky or unlucky over the season, we take the good and the bad, and it worked out we finished a place higher than last season. If Martin Canning takes the blame for the bad, he also deserves credit for the good.

Our club has a system. And it works. It doesn't have us competing for Europe or trophies, but it does have us competitive in the top flight, something that has eluded Accies teams throughout my lifetime, and all the way back to the 1930s. Part of that system is to appoint a head coach from within, and stick with them through thick and thin. It's an unusual approach in football, but I suggest other clubs try it. For every Steve Clarke appointment, there's a dozen Owen Coyles.

Perhaps another manager could get more out of our squad. Someone like Alex Neil, maybe. But I don't see another Neil around, and if the alternative to Canning is to promote someone like Dougie Imrie, I'll stick with what we have, please. There's no quick fix to propel us into the top six.

I fear for our prospects next season, with the departures of Crawford and Ferguson, probably Templeton and Sarris, and perhaps Woods, Redmond and others. But it's too soon for me to start bemoaning what could happen next season, when we should still be celebrating our latest accomplishment. 5-in-a-row in the top flight, 8 out of 10 seasons in the top flight since we won the Championship a decade ago. It's the best time I've ever known to support Accies.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sun May 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Some fair points cant disagree with a lot of that. Its well known I dont want Canning as manager as I do not beleive he has taken us forward. I am probably more concerned that they promote Imrie to manager.

What saved us this year was our goals scored and if I am honest I was totally not expecting that. Most of our strikers are pretty poor and we dont seem to have a settled partnership or goalscorer. The goals were well shared out with lots of players contributing and that is really what saved us.

Cannings win record is appalling probably just above 20%, apart from Brechin City cant think of any other team who would accept that record. Is it because we are so skint we cant afford to punt him?.

As with all things Accies it will be a huge turnover of staff in summer, last minute signings, will we ever learn
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun May 13, 2018 9:42 pm

7 out of 10 seasons, it took us three seasons to get back out of the Championship.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun May 13, 2018 10:23 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:7 out of 10 seasons, it took us three seasons to get back out of the Championship.

Fair enough.

Next season will make it 8 out of 11.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Mon May 14, 2018 8:38 am

Optimism personified.
Where can I get this?
Is it solely available on prescription or can you buy it over the counter?
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon May 14, 2018 11:07 am

Swift Frank wrote:Optimism personified.
Where can I get this?
Is it solely available on prescription or can you buy it over the counter?

If that's a response to my previous post, next season does make it 8 out of 11, as we're confirmed in the top flight for next season.

If we manage to stay up again - and it's impossible to predict that at the moment - then that would mean 9 out of 12 seasons.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Not necessarily.
Have you never heard of teams being unable to fulfill fixtures due to administration/unpaid wages/etc.
Resulting in points deduction and/or demotion.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Return to The Accies