The positivity thread for the next 5 games

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

The positivity thread for the next 5 games

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Let’s break down the stats and see where we are.

Games v top 6

Played P18 W2 (ibrox and Easter road where we got pounded in both games) D4 L12 Points 10

Games v bottom 5 - Motherwell st Johnstone Dundee Ross co partick

P15 W6 D2 L7 Points 20

So right away I’m seeing we’ve took double our points v the bottom 5. We also are the top scorers in the bottom six with 43, 7 more than the team that’s made it to 2 cup finals this year.

Goal difference - we have 14 on partick, 5 on Dundee and 2 on Ross co, that’s worth 1 point.

St Johnstone seem to be our bogey team with 3 defeats.

Lost only 4 games v the other 4 teams in 12 games and take into account this. 1 up at home to Dundee and templeton gets sent off and we lose 2 late goals. Both times away to Ross co we lead but lose and draw. Motherwell at home we’re leading but lose.

It’s not as bad as the picture that’s getting painted by some doom mongers. It looks like we have 16-18 fit players that can be used so that gives us options both starting and coming on.

Partick and Ross co need to open up so that plays into our hands if canning can get team selection right.

Ultimately I think Motherwell and st Johnstone beating the other 3 is the key to staying in the premiership.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Re: The positivity thread for the next 5 games

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:20 pm

Good evidential base for evaluating our chances.

We may not be safe yet, but we're better placed than three other teams, and our fate is in our own hands.

If we can repeat in the remaining games the form we've shown against our relegation rivals so far this season, we'll be fine.

Each team has a maximum of 15 more points to play for, but the three teams below us can't all achieve those points, and at least two of them need to climb above us to drop us even into the play-off spot. This means 6 points out of 15 for us - well below our season average - will be enough, possibly less than 6.

It would be nice to beat Partick in the first game, and for County to lose. That would make us more-or-less safe. But that's the best possible scenario, and we shouldn't panic at any lesser outcome. A few of our guys experienced the horrendous run after the split last season, and I doubt they'll allow that to happen again
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby georgemccallum » Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Let's not kid ourselves.
All the "positivity" gained from back to back home wins against Motherwell and Partick (which seems an eternity ago now) has been well and truly drained from the Accies tank.
That's not being negative, it's being factual.
Even taking 2 draws from the pathetic past 5 sequence of results would have gone a long way to seeing us safe.
Questions have to be asked why the Tinkerman Canning tinkered with a winning team prior to this losing streak.
georgemccallum
Pub League

Postby Jimmy Liddle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:31 am

Lost 5 games on the bounce with absolutely honking performances as well. Go back to our "great" run of 2 wins and a draw before that, very fortunate to draw with Ross County away and the Motherwell win at home I am still trying to work out how we actually won that one. Sorry but we are in real trouble now not just for the play-off spot but automatic relegation especially if Thistle beat us on Saturday as they will see this a real chance to close the gap and we will probably try and play for a draw with our fantastic defensive record!!!!!!
Jimmy Liddle
Pub League

Postby georgemccallum » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:32 am

Very accurate assessment.
georgemccallum
Pub League

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Are some of our fans really so thick that they think a bad result must mean a bad performance? Or that losing games to top six teams must make us the worst, or 2nd-worst, team in the league?

On Saturday we competed for 90 minutes against one of the best teams in the league (since Clarke took over, Killie's record is 2nd only to Celtic's, and over the last 20 games they're better even than them). We were never outclassed, were in it to the end, lost narrowly, and with a slice of luck could have drawn or even won that game. And we won't play another team remotely in the same class as Killie from here on in.

The league table doesn't lie: we're better then 3 other teams in the league with just 5 games to play. Partick will need to win 6 more points than us, and they've only won 6 games all season. Even if they beat us this Saturday - and I'm not writing that off - they'll still finish behind us.

Not only do we have some of the thickest fans, we also have some with the least backbone. Some who fear the worst after any sort of setback. But they'll disappear from this forum again once we stay up - bookmark it.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby glasgow accie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:56 pm

Ooooooooooffffffffffffttttt
When Saturday comes...WE ARE HAMILTON........136
glasgow accie
Championship

Postby georgemccallum » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:09 pm

I'm quite thick,so can some superior, intelligent being please tell me the win% of LLLLL?
Many Thanks.
georgemccallum
Pub League

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Pessimism and downright negativity's fine. Not my thing, but if that's how you want to show your support, knock yourself out.

Wanting to sack our manager's also fine. I'd prefer we stay loyal to managers, rather than change them twice a season like Ross County. But everyone's entitled to their opinion.

And criticism's fine as well. We've all got our preferred selections, and we'd all like to see our defence set up more competently, for example.

But now we've got a thread saying we're bound to lose all our remaining games (despite plenty of evidence to the contrary), one poster saying he wants to see us relegated, and calls for administration and financial ruin. Exactly the sort of contribution we could expect from malevolent Motherwell fans. It's trolling, and yes, now I've reacted to it, which is what a troll wants.

Enough.

Let's get behind the team for the run-in, and secure our Premier status for a fifth season!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Euan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:06 pm

I’ll be at Firhill on Saturday, expecting a better performance than our pre Christmas defeat.
Right now, I’d take a draw to end our losing streak, albeit in five tough games, but I’m hoping for a win.
Not losing will guarantee we don’t finish bottom and probably guarantee Thistle do, but not fully guarantee our survival, although a win probably would.
We need a big Accies support, positive and behind the team on Saturday. Thistle will be up for it but nervous and short of confidence, if we get ahead I don’t see us losing.
Let’s hope for the right team selection and spirit which will allow us to enjoy the last few games and get the preparations for next season in the Premiership started early.
Euan
Premiership

Postby georgemccallum » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:13 am

Trying hard here to look for the positives and think I've found one.
Could be worse, could be a Rangers fan.
georgemccallum
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Trying still to look at the positives, but the updated stats tell their own story. The last five games from the BBC website tables show

Ross County 1 win 3 draws 6 points
Dundee. 1 win 2 draws. 5 points
St Johnstone 1 win 2 draws. 5 points
Motherwell. 4 draws 4 points
Partick Thistle. 1 win. 3 points
Accies. ZERO. 0 points

Who are the next two form teams, then? Ooohh, Just happen to be our next two games!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby georgemccallum » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:57 pm

There ARE no positives.
Martin Canning is manager.
georgemccallum
Pub League

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Get this happy clapping thread in the bin.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:18 pm

This is supposed to be the positive thread, so its time some positive comments were posted

My positive comment is I am positive we are going down and probably in the automatic relegation place

Please someone disagree with me and tell me on what your thoughts are based.

As long as this idiot clueless Canning is in charge, or god forbid Imrie we are only going one way. All the way to the seaside leagues
smc4761
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:27 pm

I am positive that today was an embarrassment.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby georgemccallum » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:29 pm

LLLLL LLLLL
georgemccallum
Pub League

Postby Big Wurzil » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Great result for the doom mongers, I’m sure I heard a few of them cheer at the final whistle.

First half, gave partick a lot of possession 40 yards out without threatening apart from the odd cross in which Tomas or woods dealt with quite easily whilst we were threatening on the break through the middle with templeton. Ogpoe had a great 1v1 in the first half which he should’ve done better. Actually thought he was a handful all game. We go at half time 1 up and on chances created probably deserved it.

Second half, Bingham 1st touch 5 minutes in and it’s 2-0, awful first touch, hardly canning’s fault.
5 minutes later ogpoe through on an easier 1v1 and keeper saves, should’ve scored, hardly canning’s fault.

Then sammon comes on and partick are a completely different team as he starts backing into Tomas and want and starts winning the occasional flick on or hold up which wasn’t happening up until then.

2 cheap goals from being unable to clear our lines, canning’s fault again no doubt.

As for templeton coming off, I thought he’d put a great shift in now bearing in mind his role has changed recently to not being the furthest player up top, he’s now having to track back and do shuttle runs closing down. Looked shattered to me and never really protested too much for coming off so maybe the right decision. But when we lose it’s easy to criticise.

Finally, we need someone who can deliver a decent free kick or corner, 3 efforts from redmond and 2 were straight at the keeper and his corner went straight out, minging. Hardly canning’s fault.

Beat county and partick can easily lose at st Johnstone next week so get behind the team doom mongers
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Yeah, it's definitely not Canning's fault that the team don't know what to do at set pieces, and it definitely isn't Canning's fault that our set-up allowed Thistle free rein in the middle of the park as well as constantly being able to Imrie, and it definitely isn't Canning's fault that his subs took the sting out of any attacks.
No, Martin is completely blameless.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby georgemccallum » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:56 pm

Martin would be completely blameless (in Les and Ronnie's eyes) if he committed murder in broad daylight.
Surely we all must know that by now?
georgemccallum
Pub League

Next

Return to The Accies