John Lambie

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

John Lambie

Postby Willie Wastle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:22 pm

RIP Johnny Lambie, Accies' most successful post-war manager of the Old Douglas Park era. Just 77.

Winner of 2 x old First Division titles, and probably best remembered for that great cup win of January 1987.

sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Re: John Lambie

Postby Gav » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:26 pm

Still my favourite football game ever. RIP John.
Gav
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:37 pm

Gav wrote:Still my favourite football game ever. RIP John.

How was the subway ride afterwards?
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Gav » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:46 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:
Gav wrote:Still my favourite football game ever. RIP John.

How was the subway ride afterwards?

Not too bad. Most of home fans were away by time we left the ground.
Gav
Championship

Postby Euan » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 am

Sorry to hear he’s died.

Great Accies memories especially;

Season 85/86 when as we kept on winning, I believed that Accies could actually win the League...and we did.

The 8 game winning start in 87/88 which meant defeat to a Chic Charley inspired Clydebank at Kilbowie didn’t matter and we won it again.

Accies leading Rangers again at Ibrox as Chic, now an Accie ran the show, before getting sent off as we eventually lost.
A more enjoyable game than the Cup win as we were stuck together at the bottom of the Broomloan, next to the enclosure, creating a great atmosphere as we sang and taunted the Rangers fans in the enclosure.

The famous Cup win was an amazing experience, but a terrible game to sit through and with the 500 fans spread out over 7000 seats, the Accies atmosphere was akin to NDP on a bad day. Losing to Motherwell in the next round made it a bit pointless other than knocking Souness out the Cup.
I dined out on the result for 30 years but actually preferred beating Celtic in 2014, as we actually deserved to beat them and went top of the League for a month.

Lambie had a lot of annoying traits too, he was the original tinkerman, and his breaking up the 85/86 team with new signings was one of my biggest annoyances in football. His jumping ship between Accies and Partick fosters my deep dislike of Thistle to this day. They’re still the team I want to lose every week.

However, overall he brought me good times.

RIP John Lambie
Euan
Premiership

Return to The Accies