Six points and a six pointer next week

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Six points and a six pointer next week

Postby porcupine » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:28 pm

Like WW, I can't see any of the other three below us taking any more points before the split after the midweek County/Thistle game. Even with Partick winning that, we still have a margin in our favour.

However in the last five games, probably only Partick, Dundee and County are the ones that matter, as those in 7th & 8th places will likely still be too strong for us, given their results this week. We are going to have to defend, defend, defend, as our goals against record is quite shocking, particularly having a manager who was supposed to be a defender in his playing career.

We don't NEED to score goals against, County, Dundee or Partick in the post split games, providing we do not CONCEED any. Dull no-score draws will be sufficient for us. It's likely that each of these games will be nervy, and our strongest defensive line-up is required, with, perhaps, only one-up front. Not that I am suggesting defending on our 18 yard box for 90 minutes in each of these three games, BUT we need to finally seal up those defensive gaps, particularly from set-pieces and corner kicks.

All of the other three teams will be pushing-up for goals, so we can still exploit the gaps which will appear in their defences. I. too, still beleive we will secure our place in 9th or 10th.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Dundee’s draw today brings them closer but they’ll very likely lose at Celtic Park and Ibrox in their final presplit games giving them 29 points.
Not sure what I’d prefer in the Ross County-Partick Thistle match, probably a draw, leaving County adrift at the bottom but putting Thistle a bit closer to us, or a Ross County win which puts Thistle bottom and both teams 5 points behind. Both have a final home match against Hibs and Kilmarnock respectively, which if we’re unlucky they could get something from.
If we could get a point or two from our final three games I’d be happier.
2 down and no points in our final 5 matches, tough but not the worst sequence we could have had. We’ll probably also lose to Hibs and Celtic but can definitely get something at home to Kilmarnock. One more win should see us finish 10th at worst. We don’t want to go into the split on a 5 game losing streak.
Euan
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:55 pm

Dundee looked good today but it's clear to see why they are where they are; Moussa is atrocious and Murray blows hot and cold, and their defence isn't much better.
Thistle haven't looked good all year. They'd be my pick to go down.
I thought County played well against us a couple of weeks ago, and there's something there with Ferguson and Kettlewell. They're only three points behind Thistle, with a better GD and probably better players.
With us, who knows what team will show up? I can't see us picking up any more points before the split but we should have enough about us to get another couple of wins thereafter.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed May 09, 2018 9:20 am

Bumping this thread that's tracked our progress through the season, from the optimism of August - 4th in the league! - to the dark days of February when we briefly dropped into the play-off spot. Highs and lows. Another rollercoaster of a season, but mission accomplished in the end!
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Previous

Return to The Accies