Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies .V. St. Johnstone - MATCH THREAD

Postby Admin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 am

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accies .V. St. Johnstone - MATCH THREAD

Postby ASAccie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm

We have great momentum behind us from the last 6 fixtures - so hope we can continue that into this one, although I think our away form has been better than home this season? Will be interesting to see what starting XI Canzo goes with - I'd keep it unchanged from last week.

Saints - they are on a bit of a stop start run over the last few games (prior to which they couldn't score for love nor money for several games), playing well and beating the Hobos at ER, but then losing to a resurgent Killie last weekend where they looked poor.

I can see us conceding but I'm hopeful of a 2-1 win for Lanarkshire's finest.
ASAccie
Pub League

Postby AcciesFCSLO » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm

Usual Admission - Season Books Valid

McCarthy & McArthur Suite open pre match 12pm - 2:45pm however it will be CLOSED after match this Saturday and the following match v Ross County, This is due to prior bookings for Christmas Party nights and the setting up of the events......Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Email: sean@acciesfc.co.uk
Twitter: @AcciesFCSLO
Phone: 01698 368650
AcciesFCSLO
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:53 pm

Tough one to call. Our games with St Johnstone are usually close. There wasn't much between us at McDiarmid, when we were on our losing run and missing players, and they were doing well. With roles reversed, you'd expect us to get a result, and there's no doubt we're now in better form than them.

Despite our good run, we haven't put much between us and the teams below - even Partick are still within striking distance, so I'd hope that's sufficient motivation for us to work hard for the win. A draw wouldn't be a bad result, but we should really be looking to win this. Rojano and/or Templeton to score, and Accies to win 2-1, moving up the table.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Daylight robbery yet again by the agricultural townies.How the hell we lost again to this lot is one of the mysteries of life.

We just knew that that lot would score from their first attack and defend,which is how we had to score first.

A bad three points to lose when you look at other scores today.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Confident and dominant- unbelievable that we lost that. Robbed!
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:45 pm

Really disappointing but we’ve done that to a few teams this season. The team did well in the first half, but we really struggled in the second half for one reason or another. Let’s just hope this and an inevitable defeat against Celtic don’t completely knock us. We have 4 four winnable games before the break.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:47 pm

Tough to take. We were the better team and should have won. If we could have found the net, we would have won, but we couldn't, and you could see how their goal took the wind out of our sails.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:10 am

Canning Out.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Well

5-3-2 formation JUST isn't working. Darrren Lyon is an absolute passenger. Mackinnon and Greg Docherty are having to pick up his slack on numerous occasions. The gaps in the centre of our midfield are glaring to see. St Johnstone has to be the poorest side they've been in years and we have now twice failed to take a point from them.
*The goal*
Obvious miss-communication, Mcmann and Dougie don't work well as a left sided string. It looked to me like Scott was going for it and Dougie slid in and pulled out at the last second, leaving Scott flat footed.
Speaking of flat feet - Sarris/Mcmann passing ability is diabolical, I see youth team centre backs with better ability to pass over 20 yards, I just don't understand how you get to this level without the fundamentals nailed down.
Redmond should've had the start over Lyon, I am however leaning on the notion of Massimo taking the centre midfield stage, he brings much needed height and composure. He's ALWAYS looking to get the ball to his feet too.
The Rojano miss was a sore one, difficult one to strike but all he had to do was put it on target for a sure-fire goal.
The Lyon miss to me watching live looked more clean cut, the keeper was still 6+ yards away, he could've placed it low but went for the chip and failed.
The second half we were very poor, St Johnstone patched up the holes, leaving both Rojano and Templeton doubled up on by the defence of STJ, leaving little room for creativity. Our 'wingbacks' are barely used to stretch the play, instead sacrificing our central midfield.

Overall despite the numerous chances, a poor passing display, reckless abandon from our defensive lineup at times, this game was a poor example of football for the vast majority of it.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:16 pm

Good summary.

Sarris- Bombscare- Why not Gogic?? Quicker, and more accurate by far in his distribution.

Lyon- Don't want to dent confidence in young player, but he brings nothing to the team. Same on Saturday as at Tynecastle. Headless Chicken stuff, which only puts pressure on the rest of the midfield.
What does MC see in him?? Redmond should be a a starter for us... far more creative and always looking for a pass.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Redmond yes but where is Crawford?
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Despite it being a game which on the balance of play we would win 8 times out of 10 I thought we were pretty average and even a bit flat, however calls for changes of formation and players to be dropped on the back of 1 defeat in 7 seem a bit strange - perhaps some supporters are missing a bit of selection bingo in recent years.

Sarris's distribution can be poor at times but compare results with him in the team against results when he's missing - faultless for any goals conceded since he's returned to the team.

Lyon has been quiet for the last couple of games but results and his performance at Ibrox justify an extended opportunity in the absence of Crawford. While Donati has proved time and time again that he can't play the midfield role and Redmond has had 3 years of flattering to deceive I've no issue with Lyon getting another opportunity.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby southoftheborder » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 pm

All good comments so far.

Yes we should have won (first sighting of rojano) but we didn't!

We didn't do much wrong apart from their goal it happens get over it!

Still not convinced by Sarris would rather see gogic play

Given where we were a month ago- I'm happy

No major changes needed just a tweak here and there. Docherty will become the new Ali Lyon will become a regular .

On our day we can beat anyone!
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Very good summaries from you all, this is starting to feel like a forum again.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Return to Match Day Archives