Rangers .V. Accies - MATCH THREAD

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Rangers .V. Accies - MATCH THREAD

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:57 am

I didn't go. I rarely go to Ibrox - or Parkhead - because of the poor view, the hostile atmosphere, and the sheer logistics. But I knew we had a chance, and I risked missing an historic victory. And that's what it was: our first win at Ibrox for 30 years, and our first league win there since 1926. One to savour.

The players and the coaching staff deserve all the plaudits. When we field close to our best eleven, and perform as we can, we can live with any other team in this league. It helps to carry a bit of luck, but only those who were there know how much of a factor that was - my impression is not much. We deserved the win.

Martin Canning, and selected players, get plenty of abuse when we lose - so they deserve all the praise for pulling this one off. Well done, Canzo & co!

Moving on, it's another step up, another hoodoo ended, a marker in the continuing rise of Accies. Why shouldn't we continue to improve until we can regularly take points off the top six teams the way we currently take them from the bottom six? The Board are taking this club on a journey, and it's not over yet.

We now have a highly effective strike partnership in Templeton (who some wrote off as a crock) and Rojano (who some believed would never come to us). And a team packed with home-grown talent. How long before Greg Docherty gets his first full Scotland cap? Hopefully while still playing for Accies - he's ready now. And is Darren Lyon finally establishing himself? Another great prospect from the Accies Academy conveyor belt of talent.

But finally, a word of caution. In the elation of this win, we should remember we could still be relegated. I don't think we will, and I called it after the early season run of form that included that great win at Hibs. But there will be bad days, there will be losses to other bottom six teams, and there will be some on here who lack the resilience to cope. We need to stand by Martin Canning and the team. I'm confident we'll finish at least tenth, and we may do better, but tenth is enough, and would represent a successful season.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:04 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:I didn't go. I rarely go to Ibrox - or Parkhead - because of the poor view, the hostile atmosphere, and the sheer logistics. But I knew we had a chance, and I risked missing an historic victory. And that's what it was: our first win at Ibrox for 30 years, and our first league win there since 1926. One to savour.

The players and the coaching staff deserve all the plaudits. When we field close to our best eleven, and perform as we can, we can live with any other team in this league. It helps to carry a bit of luck, but only those who were there know how much of a factor that was - my impression is not much. We deserved the win.

Martin Canning, and selected players, get plenty of abuse when we lose - so they deserve all the praise for pulling this one off. Well done, Canzo & co!

Moving on, it's another step up, another hoodoo ended, a marker in the continuing rise of Accies. Why shouldn't we continue to improve until we can regularly take points off the top six teams the way we currently take them from the bottom six? The Board are taking this club on a journey, and it's not over yet.

We now have a highly effective strike partnership in Templeton (who some wrote off as a crock) and Rojano (who some believed would never come to us). And a team packed with home-grown talent. How long before Greg Docherty gets his first full Scotland cap? Hopefully while still playing for Accies - he's ready now. And is Darren Lyon finally establishing himself? Another great prospect from the Accies Academy conveyor belt of talent.

But finally, a word of caution. In the elation of this win, we should remember we could still be relegated. I don't think we will, and I called it after the early season run of form that included that great win at Hibs. But there will be bad days, there will be losses to other bottom six teams, and there will be some on here who lack the resilience to cope. We need to stand by Martin Canning and the team. I'm confident we'll finish at least tenth, and we may do better, but tenth is enough, and would represent a successful season.

100% correct. Especially that last paragraph, although I personally feel that we did ride our luck at times, but we have fully deserved it given some of our horrendous decisions against us at Ibrox over the years.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby ColinS » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:08 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:I didn't go. I rarely go to Ibrox - or Parkhead - because of the poor view, the hostile atmosphere, and the sheer logistics. But I knew we had a chance, and I risked missing an historic victory. And that's what it was: our first win at Ibrox for 30 years, and our first league win there since 1926. One to savour.

Well said. I agree with all you said. I just hope some of the very negative people in this forum give the team more positive support in the future and enjoy the 'journey'.
C'mon the Accies
Keep on believing
ColinS
Pub League

Postby smc4761 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:46 pm

I have been a regular on here and on Radio Clyde calling for Canning to go, so time to eat some humble pie. Credit where its due a great result and the same witht he previous draw with Aberdeen

I dont go to the games anymore, so will be interested to read from those that do go, what has changed in past few games. What are we doing now that we did not do against Ross County St Johnstone. Different tactics?
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:11 pm

smc4761 wrote:I have been a regular on here and on Radio Clyde calling for Canning to go, so time to eat some humble pie. Credit where its due a great result and the same witht he previous draw with Aberdeen

I dont go to the games anymore, so will be interested to read from those that do go, what has changed in past few games. What are we doing now that we did not do against Ross County St Johnstone. Different tactics?

I don't go either. I have major issues with certain folk at the club and with Scottish football in general. But I'm going to try to make it on Saturday. I think we all should if we possibly can. Cue a defeat now, but it would be a bit sad to see only 1500 or so in the home end after our recent run, not just yesterday.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:48 pm

I've just watched the online highlights on the BBC.

The first Gogic yellow was a travesty: the commentator described it as "a bit soft" - it wasn't even a foul! If anything, it should have been a free kick for us. And of course, that later led to his dismissal, after a second (fair) yellow, which I understand means it can't be appealed.

It's hard to tell from 5 minutes of highlights how the game really went. Rangers had more chances: Morelos had 4 or 5, and if that had happened to one of our forwards - say, Bingham - he'd have been crucified on here. But according to the BBC the balance of possession was 53-47 in our favour. Seems like we had a game plan, executed it, and got the result we deserved.

Docherty seems to have had quite a game. He was the architect of the second goal, of course - I love the way he held off two defenders before squaring to Lyon, reminiscent of him turning two defenders for his goal at St Johnstone. I note he was also the player who pressured McCrorie into the pass-back error that led to our first goal. I'd say Docherty is now our best player.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:05 pm

smc4761 wrote:I have been a regular on here and on Radio Clyde calling for Canning to go, so time to eat some humble pie. Credit where its due a great result and the same witht he previous draw with Aberdeen

We have been unlucky not to beat the likes of St J etc this season. We have squandered A LOT of chances and let in a lot of sloppy goals all season
Canning put out pretty much the same team that drew with Aberdeen and that was the correct call. The inclusion of Rojano recently gives us something different up front, he is very aggressive and despite not being a big player he's very physical one on one for challenges. This helps hold up play for the likes of Templeton to get involved.
Daz for me has been our MVP for the past 12 months, from a player I wanted gone 2 seasons ago for temperament, he's turned it around completely.

The home attendance has dwindled since Canning took over, I am however hoping that this type of victory will tempt people back to NDP. Despite what anyone thinks of management/board, the players deserve our support for the gutsy performances they are capable of.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Don van Vliet » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:53 pm

Sadly, I can't get to any games as I live so far away, so I rely on the highlights and the post-match discussion online to get a sense of how things are going. I'm struck by the fact that we seem to be free-scoring now, and there is a general consensus that Temps and Rojo are a good combination. We're the top-scoring side in the bottom six and in fact only Celtic, Hibs and Rangers have scored more. It's the defence that's been the problem (if that's what indeed it is) conceding to freely, except on Saturday, lol! But we've had serious injury issues there. I'm optimistic that once we are back to full strength, with the competition for places that brings (including from the much-maligned Ali C) we will continue to progress.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives