Accies .V. Hearts - MATCH THREAD

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Accies .V. Hearts - MATCH THREAD

Postby accies1874 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 pm

The defending for both of their goals was poor. Imrie's positioning was terrible for the first and Skondras was turned far too easily for the second.
Once they went in, Hearts mostly had it easy with Berra and Souttar easily dealing with high balls, and we didn't have an alternative route once Templeton went off. I didn't think we were good whatsoever.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:15 pm

Also Willie, I don't dislike Bingham. He does some really good work off the ball and does suit the way we want to play, providing Templeton partners him. He is poor on the ball, though, and isn't a natural finisher. We did miss him when he didn't play against Killie, but he's terribly frustrating when he gets the ball.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:24 pm

"Willie". :lol:

Mr Wastle to you.

Or just "A Wabster Guid" would be fine,
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:38 pm

I don't dislike Bingham either
He did great with Northern Ireland in the Eighties.
Arguably better than Michael O'Neill.
Ftw
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:44 pm

I think our first XI, when fully fit and on form, is pretty strong. I also think we've got decent strength in depth; we had a good bench today, and were able to bring on 3 subs who could have changed the game. Devlin told me today he expects to be back in January, and I'm hearing Rojano is a certainty to be available for selection within a week. We have a squad well capable of staying up, and perhaps even challenging for top six.

We all know we have some weaknesses. Dougie's not the player he was, and his passing and pace are woeful. Skondras is erratic, capable of brilliance but could have cost us another goal today. Tomas is playing himself in, but he looks as slow as Sarris, and nowhere near as authoritative. MacKinnon is a Trojan, but can be betrayed by the red mist. McMann is still a bit raw. Ali blows hot and cold - sometimes inspiring, sometimes invisible. Boyd looks too small and light to ever make it as an SPL striker, although I hope he proves me wrong. Our midfield is too small. We have too few wise old heads. And we lack a natural predator. Have I missed anything?

The point is not to pick your favourite weakness(es) and bang that drum every week - especially when we lose. Despite the amazing goal at Hibs, we're Accies, not Barca. All I ask is that we compete every week - and we certainly did that today - and then we'll pick up more points than we need.

I think we caught Hearts at an unlucky time. Levein has given them a boost, but it won't last. We have no reason to fear them the next time we meet.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby ACNaccie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:19 pm

Good summary.
ACNaccie
Pub League

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:18 am

Again no Gogic while we play two slowcoaches in central defence.A decent strikeforce second half and we would have won that game.

Points dropped against a team of time wasting cheats.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:45 am

Fear not.
Rojano is coming.
And in other news scientists are predicting the world will end in the year 2070 through natural disaster.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:15 pm

At the end of that game, we were chasing an equaliser, and Hearts were just holding on. One of their fans in the gazebo threw the ball away when it went out for an Accies throw in stoppage time. And they celebrated at the end a skin-of-their teeth win at Accies as though they had won a cup tie.

Make no mistake, we were in that game. Even at 0-2 we weren't out of it. Our opponents respected us, and didn't take a result for granted. It's disappointing we came away with nothing, but we should be far from despondent. On other days we'll take points from close games like that.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:27 pm

Sensible summary, WW. Little else needed after this post.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:32 pm

My problem is the disappointment that that was possibly our best chance of taking three points in September, and I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose all 4 games this month. October is arguably an easier month, but if we get to the Motherwell game on the back of 5 games without a win and 4 defeats, then it'll be very tough to get back mentally.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Gav » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Just seen the highlights - that penalty is a dreadful decision. If these things even themselves out we are due a hell of a lot of dodgy decisions soon.
Gav
Championship

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:24 pm

Irrelevant who the opposition is if you give them two goals of a start.
Accies have failed to build on a bright start to the season and won't be long till it's the usual pish of occupying the usual automatic relegation/play off place in the league.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Amoutahere1874 wrote:Irrelevant who the opposition is if you give them two goals of a start.
Accies have failed to build on a bright start to the season and won't be long till it's the usual pish of occupying the usual automatic relegation/play off place in the league.

That's the spirit!
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:50 pm

Nae borra
If you want sugar coating go to Equis.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby ASAccie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:56 pm

Amoutahere1874 wrote:Fear not.
Rojano is coming.
And in other news scientists are predicting the world will end in the year 2070 through natural disaster.

100% this - thought Madden was spineless throughout and should have punished more of their players for some tasty challenges. Walker was an utter embarrassment with his play acting - definitely an OF player of the future.

Bingham's miss was criminal.

I don't mind when we deservedly lose (i.e. Celtic game!) but felt like we were cheated a bit on Saturday and deserved more from the game. Hearts weren't up to much imo.
ASAccie
Pub League

Postby ASAccie » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:57 pm

Whoops - meant to quote you YoH lol!!
ASAccie
Pub League

Postby Big Wurzil » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Think it's a penalty after watching the re-run.

Skondras doesn't plead his innocence at all so for me he knows he's clipped him. He got caught wrong side and panicked and tackled with the wrong leg. If that was up the other end I'd be wanting a penalty too.

They were poor but a cheap 2 goal lead allowed them to be compact and not over commit in the second half. Woods only had one save from the divers free kick with about 10 to go when Crawford got the booking.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:37 pm

REALLY feel we should've got more from that game. Bingham missed a sitter, but found the backpost run well for Templetons cross.

Skondras penalty was poor, he didn't stick to his man and ended up trying to make up ground and subsequently made a challenge that wasn't needed yet.

Mcmann/Imrie have to be the worst pairing of passers in the history of the world just now. Boyd I thought was a poor sub, he really couldn't do much against such physical Centre backs. When are we going to see this Swansea guy?
Templeton was very effective when the ball was played to his feet, it's a shame he's never going to be able to do a full 90 minutes for us. You could see him visibly limping most the game and not chasing off the ball.
Sarris/Tomas as a pair aren't quite the best of pairing against any form of pacey attack, whilst often effective in the air, i'd rather see gogic in the centre.
judgeflash
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives