Accies v Killie

Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies v Killie

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Another 6 pointer, but again nothing will be decided on Saturday. Hopefully Ali will make it and I doubt Killie will be as poor as 2 weeks ago, or as ICT were on Tuesday. Adams was promising during the week and might be even better on his best side ? or he might stay at RB if Gills is in the middle.

Main concern for me is Donati at the back as he gives away at least 2 direct goal scoring opportunities and a couple of near misses in each game - not sure if we have an alternative or if MC just needs to tell him.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Re: Accies v Killie

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:50 am

------------------Woods--------------------
Adams---Devlin--Donati---McMann
---------Gillespie---Dazzler-------
Imrie--------- Ali (if fit or Redmond)-----Bingham
----------------- D'Acol -------------------
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Stevie Clarke » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:56 pm

Are we not expecting Skondras yet? Would like to see him right back, Adams left though McMann has done nothing to deserve being dropped. Two wins in a row would lift everyone's spirits and ensure we are flying ahead of a difficult cup tie next week. Killie look to have really improved though and I've a feeling it'll be a draw, which would be disappointing but no disaster.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Are we not expecting Skondras yet? Would like to see him right back, Adams left though McMann has done nothing to deserve being dropped. Two wins in a row would lift everyone's spirits and ensure we are flying ahead of a difficult cup tie next week. Killie look to have really improved though and I've a feeling it'll be a draw, which would be disappointing but no disaster.

No idea if he is ready and there have mixed reports about his match fitness. Killie are a bit like us in terms of capable of decent things sometimes but also capable of poor finishing and poor defending. Narrow margins.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:43 pm

McMann seems to be at his best on the left of a back 3, in my opinion. He seemed to play most of his games at LB for the 20s, though, and I don't watch them. My team would be:
Woods
Skondras Devlin Donati McMann Adams
Gillespie MacKinnon Crawford
D'Acol Bingham
We need a natural RB to deal with this Jones they have, as he's given Gillespie nightmares this season. D'Acol and Bingham really are a hit and a miss, but they're the only guys I'd have up top. In mu opinion, the midfield trio picks itself. It'll be interesting to see where Docherty fits when he comes back.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:32 pm

I think Killie's league position flatters them. They've had 2 or 3 games, including our first meeting with them this season, when they should have lost but somehow won. Take those points off and they could even be below ICT. OK, they're not, but I don't rate them, and neither does Billy Brown - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38739670 (albeit he might be bitter).

Over the last five seasons, they've finished progressively lower in the table every year, which puts them on course to finish 11th or 12th this season (details in the article linked above). Lee Clark was brought in to rescue them, and since keeping them up via the play-offs, he's brought in 20 players - and begun to ship them out. Their transfer business in the window didn't inspire, and they didn't really replace the goal threat of Coulibaly. If anything happens to Boyd, who scores crucial goals for them, they're gubbed.

But I'm inclined to think they'll leave NDP with a draw tomorrow. Shame, because I'd love to see us hand out another 3-0, and we're capable of it.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Ali is out so easy Accies win. 3-0
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:43 pm

It's been 10 months since we have won 2 league games in a row. NOW is the time. Points from Killie then Partick, before we face the top 5 in a row. Must win, or feb-march is going to be a very bad month for us.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:03 pm

Well, we can't really complain about his starting line up or formation but it just wasn't working. Gillespie was horrendous, heavy touch to Redmond then failed to intercept then they scored. But credit to Canning, by my reckoning around 22 mins in he changed it to 433, Adams switched sides, Donati went into midfield and more importantly, Gillespie went back to right back where he was excellent. From that point on until added time we were the better team but couldn't make it count. Devlin, my MOTM, missed a sitter and although we got in behind a lot, we couldn't get in a telling ball. Bingham had a good game but didn't get a sight of goal. Redmond grew into the game and almost scored direct from one of his excellent corners. Daz was Daz this season, 8 out of 10 again. Imrie improved, on an early booking too, so had to reign it in a bit. After his bad miss, and it was really bad, I thought to myself that we're effectively a man down with Brophy then he goes and does that! Superb goal. But injuries are now kicking in - D'Acol, Crawford, Docherty, Sarris, Longridge, Lyon and of course Tena, with McMann ill today. Hopefully Alex isn't too bad and Ali gets back in next week. Greg can't be too far away now. Happy with a point when we've fought back to get it. Overall, a good week.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:40 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Well, we can't really complain about his starting line up or formation but it just wasn't working. Gillespie was horrendous, heavy touch to Redmond then failed to intercept then they scored. But credit to Canning, by my reckoning around 22 mins in he changed it to 433, Adams switched sides, Donati went into midfield and more importantly, Gillespie went back to right back where he was excellent. From that point on until added time we were the better team but couldn't make it count. Devlin, my MOTM, missed a sitter and although we got in behind a lot, we couldn't get in a telling ball. Bingham had a good game but didn't get a sight of goal. Redmond grew into the game and almost scored direct from one of his excellent corners. Daz was Daz this season, 8 out of 10 again. Imrie improved, on an early booking too, so had to reign it in a bit. After his bad miss, and it was really bad, I thought to myself that we're effectively a man down with Brophy then he goes and does that! Superb goal. But injuries are now kicking in - D'Acol, Crawford, Docherty, Sarris, Longridge, Lyon and of course Tena, with McMann ill today. Hopefully Alex isn't too bad and Ali gets back in next week. Greg can't be too far away now. Happy with a point when we've fought back to get it. Overall, a good week.

A more than fair assessment.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:16 pm

I'd agree with Stevie Clarke's summation.
Well done Martin Canning in changing things which got us back into the game.
Enjoyed it, despite the cold and 1-1 was a fair result.
Euan
Premiership

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:30 pm

The negative was taking Donatti off , was he injured? (he did not look too happy going to the bench) he was dominating the centre of the park , as soon as he went off we lost our shape and started to panic , with no Crawford he was the one looking to play a forward pass , Bingham had little effect out wide and Redmond yet again flattered , Dougie yet again struggled .

Plus , is at least we got something from a goal down and MacKinnon yet again was the best player on the park .

No need to have 3 central defenders and be as negative for the rest of the season against rival clubs , 4 at the back with an extra midfielder is the way to go .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:01 pm

Left off Kurtaj from the injury list.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:24 pm

[quote="The Bajan Bandit"]The negative was taking Donatti off , was he injured? (he did not look too happy going to the bench) /quote]

From our seat just above the home dug-out, Donati exchanged words as well as looks to MC. I too could see no real reason for him to come off, and we were exposed much more following his departure.
porcupine
Premiership

Return to Match Day Archives