Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies .V. Celtic - 24.12.16

Postby Admin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:21 pm

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accies .V. Celtic - 24.12.16

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Hopefully, with a slightly better rest under their belts, Accies will make a more sustained effort to press Celtic and force them into making mistakes on Saturday.

We did have some success with this tactic at CP last Tuesday and Rangers didn't settle at all well on Friday night due to this pressing.

It's the most effective way that I have seen Accies play in over 20 years.

Rob the opposition of possession around the half way line, just in their own half and break quickly.

We scored so many goals adopting this approach in the early part of the 2014/15 season under AN.............thankfully, albeit, belatedly MC has adopted this approach too.

As for the match, I would like to see Brophy get a wee start. D'Acol and Bingham did nothing for me last week (difficult task, admittedly) but, might be an opportunity for Brophy to make a start.

McMann has done pretty well in last two matches so, hopefully, he will continue.

Devlin looked shaky and became too involved with Garner on Friday, especially in 2nd half.

Sowah coming back might help things a little bit and I remain to be convinced on Seabourne.

Longridge for Imrie? Possibly............probably not, however.

Think we can take something from this but, will probably lose narrowly again!
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:03 pm

Woods
Gills Sarris devlin Sowah
Imrie Daz Ali Donati Redmond
DAcol

With Gregg missing we need midfielders and I don't think Donati is any more than cover in defence so I would rather see him in the holding role.

Edit - Gills is suspended so not sure who goes out there, trying not to think that it could be Lyon
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:25 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:Woods
Gills Sarris devlin Sowah
DAcol

With Gregg missing we need midfielders and I don't think Donati is any more than cover in defence so I would rather see him in the holding role.

Edit - Gills is suspended so not sure who goes out there, trying not to think that it could be Lyon

Gills is suspended
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:01 pm

No devlin please.
Woods
Mcmann Sowah Sarris
Longridge Daz Ali Donati Redmond
D'Acol
Bingham

A flat four vs Celtic is only going to lead to us playing deep with no wide options. A point would be great, Celtic may again field a couple of B options, which may lead to some mistakes and gifted opportunities. 1 win from 10 really isn't good enough, considering the amount of times we've took a lead.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:42 am

It's going to be tough, but after last nights results a point would be very welcome.
Docherty, Sowah and Gillespie will be missed, but hopefully the weather will be a leveller.

Woods
Mcmann Sarris Devlin
Brophy D'Acol
Euan
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Danny Redmond lasted 53 min he gave the ball away 89% of the time he was on the park! He is another waste of a wage!

Bingham so far has not held one ball up and has not one one header! He is never a lone striker!

longride takes to manny touches on the ball and kills off any pace we have going forward- not good enough

Saras another poor show from this bomb scare!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Not much festive cheer after today; Daz and McMann did well but Bingham, Redmond and Brophy made excellent cases for more time on the bench.

4 at the back is the most common defensive set up in football for a reason; likewise 2 up is hardly ever used for a reason. That we think we can combine the 2 is beyond me.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:06 pm

Celtic are comfortably better than everyone in the league, but we make it far too difficult for ourselves. This run is just proving how vital it was for us to pick up wins against teams around us.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:16 pm

Thought we played reasonably well for most of the game and 2-0 or 3-1 would have been a fairer scoreline. We weren't outclassed by a team head and shoulders above everyone else in Scotland and were never expected to get anything from this game
We lack the composure and finesse of Celtic's international forward line which was the difference.
Next week becomes very important, with at least 2 points needed to get us back in the mix.
Euan
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:17 pm

Euan wrote:Thought we played reasonably well for most of the game and 2-0 or 3-1 would have been a fairer scoreline. We weren't outclassed by a team head and shoulders above everyone else in Scotland and were never expected to get anything from this game
We lack the composure and finesse of Celtic's international forward line which was the difference.
Next week becomes very important, with at least 2 points needed to get us back in the mix.

Motherwell's the big one, in my opinion.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:14 pm

First half we competed fairly well, got ourselves into some good positions but didn't quite have that touch in the final third. Same as Rangers, goal conceded just before half time......painful viewing for Sarris.

2nd half was about as poor as it gets, anyone saying different is deluded, I'm afraid.

We showed no urgency, no press or push to put them on the back foot and, for most of the second half you wouldn't have known Celtic were down to 10 men.

That last goal showed what we are up against, three defenders marking the square root of nought! Dembele pulls away, easy peasy!

Our inability to kill teams off when winning is now coming back to bite us on the ass! Admittedly, this is a wretched run of fixtures but we need something from Motherwell, preferably a win. Can I see it happening, hell no!

McMann, MacKinnon were probably our best two today.

Devlin MoM....wtf??

MC needs to have a long hard think about things because that second half performance was embarrassing, against 10 men!

I fully expect another cuffing away to Aberdeen on Tuesday......
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby WAC » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:53 am

Anyone who defends that today needs their head checked. Worst I have seen this season.

If we dont beat Motherwell canning has to go. Seen some where someone mention John Hughes ? Would take him in a minute get rid of this clown.
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby Gaspode » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:14 am

First half was a decent display until we gave away the opener. Second half was an utter disgrace! The only player i would give pass marks to was Daz, the rest of them, including the manager should hang their heads in shame. You can forgive a lot of things but the lack of fight, passion and effort yesterday was astonishing.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:22 pm

Absolutely spot on gas,

I got the impression the players were delighted Celtic went down to 10 so they could take it easy with their wee triangles in our half without hurting them and take a 1/2 nil defeat. It looked like a pre season stroll 5 up v a junior team.

The manager carries the can for that abysmal effort yesterday. 4 at the back marking 1 and we had 6 in the box v 2 when dembele scored.

Stick 3/4 up front and take a gamble but to sit in and take a damage limitations defeat was criminal.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Return to Match Day Archives