Accies .V. Motherwell - Match Thread

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Accies .V. Motherwell - Match Thread

Postby smc4761 » Sun May 14, 2017 12:50 pm

[b]
redandwhite1874 wrote:We are still in it but it looks like we are perhaps coming up a bit short [/b]- and this happens in football. For me we might not be good enough - time will tell - but the need for many to then add in that this must be as a result of recklessness or a deliberate lack of care or some other nefarious purpose is pathetic.

Understatement of the year
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Sun May 14, 2017 3:40 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:We are still in it but it looks like we are perhaps coming up a bit short - and this happens in football. For me we might not be good enough - time will tell - but the need for many to then add in that this must be as a result of recklessness or a deliberate lack of care or some other nefarious purpose is pathetic.

Good post and response to the usual heads gone nonsense where rushing to the tunnel at FT and screaming abuse (or repeatedly shouting relegation at players leaving the park) is seen to be productive.

The treatment of Devlin by a section of fans has been shameful too, a player who has made real efforts as captain to reach out to fans by attending fan's events, supporter's games and doing an unprecedented amount of community interaction - he must wonder why he bothered. Best player on the park for us too yesterday as he was against Killie and our best performer since returning from injury, however that doesn't save you from the new sport of player baiting where you scream abuse at your chosen player and then are horrified when they have the audacity to respond.

So 2 games left and it's looking like those who were "deluded" enough to suggest that we might not get automatically relegated were correct. 2 play off games against an average championship team and we'll have every chance - sadly a large section of our support have no belief and want to ensure neither will our players.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Gaspode » Sun May 14, 2017 4:20 pm

Good post Yummy Fur. I'm always amused at the outrage when a player who has been abused gives a bit back. I wonder why our players bother given the level of abuse hurled at them by a section of our, "support"
Gaspode
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun May 14, 2017 4:59 pm

Abuse from a section of the support? It's was one fan.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Sun May 14, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm talking about the season as a whole.And if you think it was just one fan yesterday then you are deluded.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun May 14, 2017 6:22 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sun May 14, 2017 6:31 pm

Gaspode wrote:I'm talking about the season as a whole.And if you think it was just one fan yesterday then you are deluded.

Not as deluded as the likes of yourself defending the absolute crap we have endured since this clown became Manager.

What we are seeing now is the antithesis of The Alex Neil era:kick and punt football up to D'Acol,players regressing like Crawford and a guy who is too young to be Captain when he should just be concentrating on his own game.

That team we played yesterday was as bad as Barrowclough's side,but they have outfought us twice here-playing 2/3 of the game with ten men remember-and rubbed it in our faces.

Maybe you are happy with this-plenty are not and these players have been given an easy ride in the main.This wouldn't be the case at plenty other clubs.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Sun May 14, 2017 7:15 pm

Canning is under no pressure to get results he must feel untouchable and as long as he tows the company line he is , that is a huge problem , you only had to listen during the week to the Motherwell boss with his war crys and talking up the game then listen to our damp squid , how could he lift players .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby Gaspode » Sun May 14, 2017 7:35 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:
Gaspode wrote:I'm talking about the season as a whole.And if you think it was just one fan yesterday then you are deluded.

Not as deluded as the likes of yourself defending the absolute crap we have endured since this clown became Manager.

What we are seeing now is the antithesis of The Alex Neil era:kick and punt football up to D'Acol,players regressing like Crawford and a guy who is too young to be Captain when he should just be concentrating on his own game.

That team we played yesterday was as bad as Barrowclough's side,but they have outfought us twice here-playing 2/3 of the game with ten men remember-and rubbed it in our faces.

Maybe you are happy with this-plenty are not and these players have been given an easy ride in the main.This wouldn't be the case at plenty other clubs.

Mmm, I don't see me saying in my posts that I was happy with the performance of the team this season, in fact I am unlikely to renew my season ticket next time around. Some of the stuff I heard yesterday would get you a broken jaw if you said it anywhere else but a football ground. And you say the players should accept it? Good on Mikey for answering back, I hope the next time he's asked to go some fan event he tells them where to go.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:19 pm

I've dished out plenty of rants at Canning since he took over, but personally I don't feel it was right to single out Devlin. Yesterday he was the best of a bad bunch, and as Yummy Fur alluded to, he's done brilliantly in attending fan events and that. The likes of Bingham, Donati and Imrie have deserved it, but to pick on one of our best performers this season doesn't really add up.
HOWEVER, yesterday's performance and the performance for a lot of the season has been pretty shameful. With yesterday seemingly consigning us to the play-offs, I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a season's worth of frustration splling over. To aim that at Devlin isn't right though.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun May 14, 2017 8:30 pm

never heard any abuse hurdled at any player yesterday. All I heard was the usual Canning Canning GTF and you don't know what your doing but that from the end I was at.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun May 14, 2017 8:32 pm

I've stayed off here till this evening because I couldn't face the toxic brew of abuse and defeatism from the usual posters. Yummy fur's posts, by contrast, are a breath of fresh air.

We didn't deserve to lose yesterday. The teams were separated by one fluke goal. A draw would have been OK, but that defeat means we look like we're heading for the play offs. We can have no complaints, given our performances since the split, but it's disappointing when we went into the split in decent form and knew two wins would probably be enough.

Well, now two wins probably won't be enough. But we are where we are, and we need a reaction. We need to raise our game enough that Falkirk/United go into the play-offs fearing us. We're not relegated yet.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun May 14, 2017 8:33 pm

In life and especially in football retrospect is a great thing. I noticed Alex Neil sitting beside Les Gray yesterday and I'm told he's been at a few games recently.

Now I wonder, if when he became available from Norwich we got rid of Canning and we offered Alex the job till the end of the season if he'd have taken it and more so what position we'd be in now. He might not want to work with us long term but if we'd offered it short term or on the basis it was only till the seasons end and allow him to find another team down south for next season. While giving us time to have someone in permanent from the beginning of next season. It could potentially have been something else to add to his CV if he'd have kept us up.

Motherwell made a change getting rid of Barouclough and bringing in Robinson and now look safe (in a much better position than us anyway).

Dundee likewise, sacked Hartley brought in Neil McCann (who I must admit I didn't rate at all) and now look safe.

Kilmarnock sacked Lee Clark brought in Lee McCulloch (again not someone I rated) and again are safe.

If our board made a change weeks ago we might just be in a better position. Instead we look destined for at very best the play offs which no accies fan I speak to is confident about.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Sun May 14, 2017 9:02 pm

I agree that the management changes at other clubs would appear to have changed their fortunes, the one thing separating them from us though is that every one of the other teams are terrified of relegation. Les has stated repeatedly that our 'model' (inc manager status) etc won't change regardless of the division.

We can all argue for and against that model til the cows come home, but the reality is that it's here to stay. It makes sense for the future of the club, but at the same time hugely frustrating that we've really done nothing to further our place in the top league, either on or off the pitch. We're still the same mid-1st div team that got up under AN, and haven't progressed one bit.

The reality of being an Accies fan - it's fun and torture at the same time.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 pm

Red and white hoops wrote:In life and especially in football retrospect is a great thing. I noticed Alex Neil sitting beside Les Gray yesterday and I'm told he's been at a few games recently.

Now I wonder, if when he became available from Norwich we got rid of Canning and we offered Alex the job till the end of the season if he'd have taken it and more so what position we'd be in now. He might not want to work with us long term but if we'd offered it short term or on the basis it was only till the seasons end and allow him to find another team down south for next season. While giving us time to have someone in permanent from the beginning of next season. It could potentially have been something else to add to his CV if he'd have kept us up.

Motherwell made a change getting rid of Barouclough and bringing in Robinson and now look safe (in a much better position than us anyway).

Dundee likewise, sacked Hartley brought in Neil McCann (who I must admit I didn't rate at all) and now look safe.

Kilmarnock sacked Lee Clark brought in Lee McCulloch (again not someone I rated) and again are safe.

If our board made a change weeks ago we might just be in a better position. Instead we look destined for at very best the play offs which no accies fan I speak to is confident about.

Think you mean McGhee and Clark wasn't sacked by Killie, he left of his own accord to go to Bury.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 pm

TheThirdProclaimer wrote: We're still the same mid-1st div team that got up under AN, and haven't progressed one bit.

Now that excerpt from TTP is absolutely spot-on!

And no, from me, and many, many others it is realism, not defeatism, otherwsie why would we still be attending games?????

Agree that we could, yes could, get a result against a Championship team over two legs if finishing in 11th place, but would there be any change at the top if we retained Premier status for another season? Doubtful, and more than likely to lead to a relegation scrap, if that, from the start of the next season, with a resurgent Hibs coming up.

The BOD have made it clear that they will not alter their prudent approach to run Accies without excessive spending, so how would thaings be any more different than that which we have seen since promotion to the Premiership?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun May 14, 2017 11:07 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:

You'll be mad that you've been allowed back into NDP ;)
Euan
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Mon May 15, 2017 7:18 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:
Red and white hoops wrote:In life and especially in football retrospect is a great thing. I noticed Alex Neil sitting beside Les Gray yesterday and I'm told he's been at a few games recently.

Think you mean McGhee and Clark wasn't sacked by Killie, he left of his own accord to go to Bury.

Apologies I do mean McGhee. I'd read Barroughclough's name in a post previous and had him in my head.

Fair enough with Lee Clark, he wasn't sacked. However the fact remains both Motherwelll and Dundee were on a downward spiral and did something in an attempt to salvage their season. It seems to have worked for both of them. We did nothing and now find ourselves heading towards the playoffs at best.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Mon May 15, 2017 8:29 am

Anyone on here who thinks we will win over 2 games against a championship team is delusional. We've played 4 championship teams this season and have not won one over 90 minutes. we can't defend, we can't score and have a manager who can't manage. Take your heads out of your arses.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby really? » Mon May 15, 2017 9:05 am

The Bajan Bandit wrote:Canning is under no pressure to get results he must feel untouchable and as long as he tows the company line he is , that is a huge problem , you only had to listen during the week to the Motherwell boss with his war crys and talking up the game then listen to our damp squid , how could he lift players .

It's a damp 'squib', not 'squid'. Squib is an old-fashioned name for a firework.

I know things are bad and we're heading for the play-offs, but that's not an excuse to let standards slip.

Thank you.
really?
Seaside Leagues

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Archives