Old match day threads will be moved here

Motherwell .V. Accies - MATCH THREAD

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:56 pm

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Motherwell .V. Accies - MATCH THREAD

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:19 pm

All massive games from now on but the Derby makes it special. They did far better than us at Ibrox but the league table shows they have similar issues to us.

With a home game coming v RC a draw here would be ok but a win would lift the whole place. I think Gills will struggle to keep his place and Bingham on the left might leave us exposed a bit but could Adams cover there ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:24 pm

We've not won at Motherwell since the 4-0 game, and if we slip-up on Wednesday, we may not have a chance to do so for a while! I don't particularly enjoy the derbies, but I'm up for this one now. Under the lights, relegation battle, preceded by a win, and the Fir Park games invariably have goals in them: 20 in the last 4 games!
I'd keep the 4-3-3. Imrie doesn't deserve to play, although he certainly will. Gillespie might be a doubt, so I'd like to see Adams come back in for him. Keep the midfield trio, as it can really work.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:44 pm

Accies win as I'll not be there. Only seem to win games I miss
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:48 pm

would take a point now however..

If we drop Imrie for Redmond or Adams and play Donati for Sarris I think we have a chance
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:13 pm

Bluesy wrote:would take a point now however..

If we drop Imrie for Redmond or Adams and play Donati for Sarris I think we have a chance

If Imrie being coach is the only reason he's still maintaining his place then he should be released of that position. He's been dreadful all season. Redmond or Adams could fill the gap on the left, both being left footed but ABLE to dribble on the right foot, unlike One peg Dougie.

i'm going with 2-1 accies. CMON
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:41 pm

I wouldn't mind trying Adams in a wide role but perhaps wide left with Dougie wide right. Bingham in a left wing role risks leaving us too open away from home.

Danny doesn't do it for me, he can pick a pass but his work rate and fitness over 90 mins are lacking, he does not compete physically and is easily shackled and pushed aside. I don't think we can afford him in what should be a game where winning individual battles will be key.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:23 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:I wouldn't mind trying Adams in a wide role but perhaps wide left with Dougie wide right. Bingham in a left wing role risks leaving us too open away from home.

Danny doesn't do it for me, he can pick a pass but his work rate and fitness over 90 mins are lacking, he does not compete physically and is easily shackled and pushed aside. I don't think we can afford him in what should be a game where winning individual battles will be key.

Why would you put Dougie One Peg on the right? Anytime he's played there he has been very poor, he literally dribbles on his left foot 99% of a game, he would just get pushed out wide and lose posession. One of my favourite players last season has quickly become a passenger. I'd have Redmond over Dougie all day this season.

I'd really like a 4-4-1-1 With Bingham playing off D'Acol.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:45 pm

judgeflash wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:I wouldn't mind trying Adams in a wide role but perhaps wide left with Dougie wide right. Bingham in a left wing role risks leaving us too open away from home.

Why would you put Dougie One Peg on the right? Anytime he's played there he has been very poor, he literally dribbles on his left foot 99% of a game, he would just get pushed out wide and lose posession. One of my favourite players last season has quickly become a passenger. I'd have Redmond over Dougie all day this season.

I'd really like a 4-4-1-1 With Bingham playing off D'Acol.

Basically to allow Adams to play in an unfamiliar position but on his preferred foot. I just think 2 strikers is not compact enough at times. Dougie has been poorer on the ball but he makes teams work and that is why for me he has been picked. Redmond has had more than his chance for me; but we all call things differently.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Euan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:30 pm

If it wasn't for Redmond cooly finding D'Acol with a pass through a crowd of players as opposed to hastily shooting, we'd not have won on Saturday.
Didn't appreciate it at the time but on seeing the TV highlights, it was excellent composure when everyone else in the stadium was panicking.
Doesn't mean he should start on Saturday, but he's a good option from the bench or as an alternative to Ali.
I'd play
Matthews
Skondras Devlin Sarris McMann
Imrie Docherty MacKinnon Gillespie
Crawford
D'Acol

If Gillespie is unfit, Adams might be a good option.
Rangers did similarly against Celtic with Hodgson at full back and Tavernier( a full back) playing wide midfield and achieved a draw at Parkhead.
Euan
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:55 am

If it wasn't for Redmond cooly finding D'Acol with a pass through a crowd of players as opposed to hastily shooting, we'd not have won on Saturday.
Didn't appreciate it at the time but on seeing the TV highlights, it was excellent composure when everyone else in the stadium was panicking.
Doesn't mean he should start on Saturday, but he's a good option from the bench or as an alternative to Ali.

Exactly my thoughts too about Danny Redmond. He chose his moment, with a slight dummy to the opponets, before then putting the ball right onto the unmarked D'Acol. Calm & composed play, where others were in panic mode. That won the game for us, no question, and although slight, Redmond can pick a pass more often than not. He must get played at some point, as 'Well will be nervous of being turned over.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:18 am

porcupine wrote:

Exactly my thoughts too about Danny Redmond. He chose his moment, with a slight dummy to the opponets, before then putting the ball right onto the unmarked D'Acol. Calm & composed play, where others were in panic mode. That won the game for us, no question, and although slight, Redmond can pick a pass more often than not. He must get played at some point, as 'Well will be nervous of being turned over.

Whilst we struggle physically with redmond/Ali both in the same midfield, Dougie has been a waste of a shirt all season. He is scared to make a run, completely one footed and he isn't exactly prolific in the air. Let Docherty try attacking the right for a change, and either Adams or our new super signing for an alternative.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:15 am

Docherty, when fit, is fantastic running at teams. He is strong, really fast and skillful. Would much rather see Dougie in the dugout (in any capacity)

McKinnon, Crawford, Docherty and Redmond for me if Bingham and D'Acol are involved.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:33 am

Bluesy wrote:Docherty, when fit, is fantastic running at teams. He is strong, really fast and skillful. Would much rather see Dougie in the dugout (in any capacity)

McKinnon, Crawford, Docherty and Redmond for me if Bingham and D'Acol are involved.

Agreed. I keep going on about it, but Dougie was one of my favourite players on workrate alone, his ability and legs have seemingly went on holiday this season. He should not be guaranteed a position with such poor form.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:47 pm

We've been struggling for wingers for a long time. Longridge and, for a very brief spell, Paul George were our only wingers in the promotion season - hence Keatings being papped out onto the wing. Then we signed Dougie and Redmond, but we haven't really had anyone since. Congo Chris?
accies1874
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Bluesy wrote:Docherty, when fit, is fantastic running at teams. He is strong, really fast and skillful. Would much rather see Dougie in the dugout (in any capacity)

The other positive about Docherty is his desire to win. He was shouting encouragement at his team-mates on Saturday as the second half drew to a close, to keep on going, in addition to his positive involvement in the play. For a young guy, he has all the qualities to further develop as a great player for Accies.

Dougie has been a great player for us over the years, but it looks like despite his 150% committment in every game, age has caught up with him at this level, and the legs have gone. We should still use his skills and commitment to train up others to be like minded, or as a late impact substitute.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:04 pm

My big concern about this game is quite simply

When was the last time we won 2 games in a row? The bottom six games last season?

Motherwell on a slight high after their Ibrox result and their new manager giving them a lift.

Would settle for a point then a win over RC
smc4761
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:36 pm

smc4761 wrote:My big concern about this game is quite simply

When was the last time we won 2 games in a row? The bottom six games last season?

Motherwell on a slight high after their Ibrox result and their new manager giving them a lift.

Would settle for a point then a win over RC

Cannae argue with any of that.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Euan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:37 pm

Noticed on the official site: Both upper and lower tiers of the south stand will be available tomorrow.
Generally I prefer the back of the lower tier to the upper tier. Anyone else have a preference?
Euan
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:53 pm

Euan wrote:Noticed on the official site: Both upper and lower tiers of the south stand will be available tomorrow.
Generally I prefer the back of the lower tier to the upper tier. Anyone else have a preference?

Hate this practice, it splits our already poor support and looks worse on TV. When we were all in the top tier for the 4-0 scudding it made for a great atmosphere and the view was top notch except it was a wee bit difficult to see the goaline below. Would rather everyone was in the bottom tier, despite the poorer view. Closer to the action.

As for two league wins in a row, I think the last time was home to Dundee before the split last season then away at Tannadice for the first match after the split.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Next

Return to Match Day Archives