Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies .V. Aberdeen - MATCH THREAD

Postby Admin » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:17 am

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accies .V. Aberdeen - MATCH THREAD

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:56 pm

Well results went our way today and with any luck St J will do the business tomorrow. Also Aberdeen were far from impressive, but illustrated their threat in terms of goals.

Would be good to get 2 centre backs on the park and allow Donati to play in the middle - also think it will be 1 up and surely Brophy is due a chance from the start, notwithstanding his value off the bench. We will need to take our chances in this one, they wont allow us away with missed opportunities.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:27 pm

Glad it's changed to Tuesday instead of the original Wednesday date as gives them one less day preparation and another long trek down to the central belt.

Being honest I don't expect any points v Aberdeen at home but......we have a chance. If we come out flying and getting in about them we'll cause them problems. Look at the trouble they had with Quitongo at times today.

If we're going to get beat I'd rather it was with trying instead of sitting back inviting them on and still losing.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:37 pm

If we could sneak a draw, that would be magic. Before the december of doom, we have Partick, Dundee,, Killie and Inverness. We REALLY need to get 3 points from these games or we could see ourselves bottom by years end.

I personally liked the 3-5-2 5-3-2 switches being made. I thought it made our play less predictable and will eventually give us more options to widen our player, once the players on the wing, learn how to play their role more.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Euan » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:10 pm

I'd be delighted with a boring 0-0 draw tomorrow, especially as I can't make the game, however it's Saturday's game that is important. I'll definitely be over the moon in beating Paul Hartley's Dundee and fancy we will.
The upcoming run of games to the winter break are fine, apart from the Celtic double header, we should be capable of taking at least a point from the others.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Pumped. Canning out
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:02 pm

Outstanding from start to finish. Not one failure. Tactics spot on, well done Martin Canning. Dodgy penalty, laughable even. But that's Collum, utterly dreadful referee. MOTM Mackinnon, a player transformed. Docherty probably next in line. Sowah looks good and we've two cracking keepers. Things look a lot brighter tonight!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:12 pm

No one could've given any more than they did. MacKinnon and Docherty were - of course - outstanding in the middle, and the back 5 bossed it. I also think D'Acol's still running out there! Ali showed that he can do the physical, too. Woods didn't have many difficult saves, but he caught every cross. Canning also got everything spot on!
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:27 pm

Happy days for most of us. We got lucky with the penalty but again worked hard to fight and play some decent stuff. Mickley and Daz were outstanding.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:38 pm

Game is on ALBA tomorrow night at midnight!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:49 pm

So where is HrCrX, or whatever he is called?

First class show from management &team. Superb 3 points here. Well done to all.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:06 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:Game is on ALBA tomorrow night at midnight!

It's not on their schedule. :?
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:32 am

Don't think it was a penalty although that doesn't even matter, it's about time we got some luck.

Canning got tactics spot on, i even think the Kurtaj sub worked very well, great to have a positive feeling back at NDP (SSS) again, long may it continue.

Still buzzing after last night, this is what supporting the accies is all about, also noticed that the Scotland U21 Coach was there which is good because i thought Greg Docherty was outstanding (as per usual)
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:04 am

If we keep scoring first, sooner or later we win one. Disappointing that we couldn't convert later chances to make it 2-0, but in the end one was enough - last night.

This sort of pattern, over the season, should be enough to keep us up. And this manic depressive forum will be delighted when we win 1-0 and despondent when we lose 2-1. Last night shows once again that we can beat any team at home, with the possible exception of Celtic. And we were well rewarded, jumping over four teams to go up to 6th.

Now - Dundee have lost five in a row. Can we kick them when they're down with another 1-0 on Saturday? I hope so.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:19 am

That's a clear penalty, by the way.

Watch the whole coverage, not just the action replays (that start too late), and you see O'Connor holding D'Acol's left arm. Initially outside the box, then inside, and then finally he pulls him down.

You don't often see that sort of foul penalised, but that doesn't make it "soft".

Collum got it right.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:21 am

Great result and all round performance by everyone. Ridiculously soft penalty decision but we've had more than our fair share throughout the years against the big clubs go against us. If it was against us we'd all be raging.

Aberdeen were very poor and when I heard mcinnes comments on sky he knows they played Pish when he gave it 'the lads effort was excellent blah blah'. Great to hear their fans booing at the end when yet another long punt went straight through I did expect much better from Aberdeen
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:26 am

Yer Sisters Yer Maw wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:Game is on ALBA tomorrow night at midnight!

It's not on their schedule. :?

Sorry, it's Thursday night/Friday morning, the Killie-Hearts game follows it at 1AM! Think it's hidden away because the Gaelic MOD is on.

I've changed my mind about the penalty having seen the brief clip on Sky. Definite pull by O'Connor which knocked D'Acol off balance. Doesn't mean I wouldn't have been raging if it had been given at the other end.

Hope we have the same performance and commitment levels at 3pm on a Saturday; is it just me or is there something about night games at NDP that seems to bring an extra 10% in performance from most of the team? Seen it before.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:02 pm

They do say that football is a game of fine margins and I wonder how this forum and other social media would look if Considine had connected with that volley in the last kick of the game and had directed it top corner rather than into the Aberdeen support behind the goal. Lots of comments about Canning getting his tactics and subs spot on last night but I don't see much differences from decisions he has made in previous games where we have lost a lead. In saying that the effect of holding onto last night's lead cannot be overestimated, whereas time will tell if we can kick on from these 3 points you do wonder how the players would of recovered from another late equaliser given the sheer physical effort put in.

Lots of positives but special mention to;-

Michael Devlin who put in a dominant performance despite not playing for several weeks.
Alex D'Acol who ran himself into the ground, won lots of flick ons and generally held the ball up really well. Nice to see him last the full 90 minutes too.
The midfield 3 - MacKinnon and Docherty were both excellent with MacKinnon totally deserving of his MoM award but also a special mention to Ali Crawford who despite not having the same influence that he has had of late put in a pile of work and had to almost drag himself off at the end.

Lastly, pleased for Martin Canning who despite only ever being a defeat (or a draw) away from calls for him to be sacked continues to go about his work with a quiet dignity. Last night due to the constant injuries in defensive areas he had once again to put together another defense at short notice and he did so successfully limiting Aberdeen to few chances. 4 games undefeated, 3 points against a very good Aberdeen team and sitting in the top 6 it would be great to see some of the doubters get behind him.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Don van Vliet » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:39 pm

I just can't resist cutting a and pasting this from an Aberdeen supporter on P&B:

First off, while we can rightly say we were rotten last night, we were made rotten by an outstanding Accies performance. They know how to play Aberdeen at NDP - fast, attacking football, get the ball moving directly quickly, run at our defence and when Aberdeen have the ball, press the game high up the park. It's no surprise that we invariably struggle there, Accies know how to play us. Full credit to Martin Canning.

I have nothing to add, other than to draw the attention of some posters to the final sentence.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:26 pm

I absolutely agree with Yummy Fur. I didn't see anything that much different from most other games this season. We are competitive in our efforts to stay in this league, despite the doom mongers.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Next

Return to Match Day Archives