Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies .V. St. Johnstone - MATCH THREAD

Postby Admin » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:39 pm

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accies .V. St. Johnstone - MATCH THREAD

Postby judgeflash » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:27 pm

Game cancelled so we can go and sign some full backs, please.
In all seriousness, St Johnstone may punish our feckless defending. Hopefully Remi is more fit and can pull off some good saves as he's gonna be busy. I'd be more than happy with a draw!
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:56 pm

Two up front please. Ideally Bingham and Brophy. Would also take a draw.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Lack of full backs is a clear gap that teams will seek to exploit - although Gills is a far more able deputy than the anonymous Lyon who spends his time avoiding physical battles and is clearly far form being comfortable in being asked to play there. Not convinced we can start with 2 up but it should be an option at some point and Bingham and Brophy have potential to trouble teams.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Must win as we've just went bottom of the league. Cheers ta.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:04 pm

'Must win' mmmmm I suppose if you wish to invent a new meaning for the word must. 7 games into a 38 game season? Worst case scenario is that we are within 3 points of 4 other teams.

The last time this debate went on, a long line of folk told us Killie at home towards the end of last season at home was a must win :roll:
Last edited by redandwhite1874 on Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Surely Lyon and Longridge won't make this one?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:55 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:'Must win' mmmmm I suppose if you wish to invent a new meaning for the word must. 7 games into a 38 game season? Worst case scenario is that we are within 3 points of 4 other teams.

The last time this debate went on, a long line of folk told us Killie at home towards the end of last season at home was a must win :roll:

only really said it to see you bite ha.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:21 pm

I would like to think that we could take something.

We are at home against a team that play hoof-ball all day, albeit, relatively effectively.

Kurtaj for Longridge but I can't see back line changing, unless Seabourne comes into a 3?!

Lyon and Gills will remain in situ until a better option comes along, whenever that will be.

We have ammunition to hurt St J but must defend better as a team to prevent soft goals..... 7 in last 2 games....

Heart ruling head 2-1 to Accies
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:20 am

Mrsweetleftfoot wrote:I would like to think that we could take something.

We are at home against a team that play hoof-ball all day, albeit, relatively effectively.

Kurtaj for Longridge but I can't see back line changing, unless Seabourne comes into a 3?!

Lyon and Gills will remain in situ until a better option comes along, whenever that will be.

We have ammunition to hurt St J but must defend better as a team to prevent soft goals..... 7 in last 2 games....

Heart ruling head 2-1 to Accies

Hoofball? Have you not been watching Devlin of late? He loves the Hoofball tactic
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:08 am

With Dundee losing yesterday and their next two games against Celtic (h) and Hearts (a), today and Inverness (h) and Partick (a) gives us a great opportunity to stretch ahead of them. Seven points out of nine should see us six points ahead of them, if their games go to form. Moreover, three points today and we might only be a point off joint fourth! C'mon Accies!!!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:05 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:With Dundee losing yesterday and their next two games against Celtic (h) and Hearts (a), today and Inverness (h) and Partick (a) gives us a great opportunity to stretch ahead of them. Seven points out of nine should see us six points ahead of them, if their games go to form. Moreover, three points today and we might only be a point off joint fourth! C'mon Accies!!!

This is the sort of optimistic thinking that keeps many of us coming back to Accies, year-in, year-out.

We went bottom yesterday with a game less played. Let's see how we stand when this round of fixtures is completed. I can't say I fancy our chances today, but then I fancied us to get a result last week and we didn't, so what do I know?

What I do know is that only five points separates ten teams in this league, and even if we lose nobody is out of reach.

I want to see Seaborne complete 90 minutes and show us what he can do. I want to see everything click into place for a whole game (or most of it). I want to see our good passing and occasional creativity convert to goals. I want to see some fight if we go behind. I want to see us win, as we all know we can.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby accie » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Really struggled to do the basic things right today and were probably fortunate to get a point although if Greg Docherty had taken his chance at 1-0 we would probably have won. Ali posted missing today and really wonder if anyone else in the team has a football brain. Some of the choices they made had the small crowd going daft.
accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:57 am

Playing three CB's with Gillespie and Imrie as WB's was a bold move.

Imrie wants to attack, Gills to defend, so we end up with an imbalance. D'Acol still doesn't bring enough to the party for me.

Brophy, for me, needs to be more direct, that's his strength.....we had flashes of this as game stretched out in 2nd half.

We were far too negative in 2nd half and ultimately got punished, although St J put us under more pressure with their direct style.

For me, the second half formation was a shambles, the players seemed unsure about what they were doing.

However, it's a point and we move on to ICT, another huge game....
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:12 am

Mrsweetleftfoot wrote:Playing three CB's with Gillespie and Imrie as WB's was a bold move.

Imrie wants to attack, Gills to defend, so we end up with an imbalance. D'Acol still doesn't bring enough to the party for me.

Brophy, for me, needs to be more direct, that's his strength.....we had flashes of this as game stretched out in 2nd half.

We were far too negative in 2nd half and ultimately got punished, although St J put us under more pressure with their direct style.

For me, the second half formation was a shambles, the players seemed unsure about what they were doing.

D'Acol set up the goal and also cleared one of the line from a st Johnstone corner or did you miss that?
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:20 am

Another one of those "should have won"
The two up front really caused early problems for St Johnstone, after the flick on to Brophy, if he had crossed it instead of trying to chip the keeper, we had 2 men on 1.
Good finish from Docherty but how he didn't first time his second, he could've had a hat trick with his chances.
D'Acol another unsung hero for me yesterday, he helped flick on our first goal, also cleared the ball off the line from a corner.
Darian Mackinnon, befuddles me, what he lacks in pure talent he makes up for *SometimeS* in work rate. Having a very good season.
The 3 at the back system worked very well, until our achillies heel showed its face, set pieces/crosses. The marking for crossing/set pieces is absolutely disgraceful, what happened to man to man marking and marking the front and back posts?
I genuinely hope we keep that same team/system running. Dougie on one side and Gillespie on the other will finally force teams to spread out.
Remi makes up for last weeks howler with a really good save late on.
Dropping back to the lone striker just allowed ST J to further push up the pitch.

I said pre game i'd take a point, but that looks like another game we should have won.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:22 am

Bomber Harris wrote:
Mrsweetleftfoot wrote:Playing three CB's with Gillespie and Imrie as WB's was a bold move.

D'Acol set up the goal and also cleared one of the line from a st Johnstone corner or did you miss that?

What he said ^
D'Acol has a few assists so far this season.
I'd also say Gills wants to attack, he excels at times when given a bit of freedom of movement.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:26 pm

A lot of people were looking for 2 up and 3 at the back but appear happy to accept the positives but throw the negatives at the manager. The problem with 352 is that when defending a lead the opponents will always push on and this turns it into more of a 5 at the back; the 3 in midfield get outnumbered and the 2 up look separate from the rest of the team.

I thought withdrawing one of the strikers was about right as they were adding less and less with every minute; but the lack of a full back limits your ability to go 451. However, bring on Longridge is just about as close to a waste of time as you can get.
A draw was about right but we could have won it Gregg and Eamon had taken their chances.

I thought Seaborne was playing whilst not fully fit, possibly the same as Mickey the week before; and so the lack of full backs is coming back to bite us.

Still we fought really hard, played some decent stuff in places and on another day we could have won it.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:48 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:

Nope, didn't miss that.

Reasonable two snippets of contribution.

However, you are completely deluded if you think that guy is a forward. Holding the ball = average. Fitness = below average. The guy is slow to get the ball out of his feet, always. Have you missed all of that??

That is the reality over watching him for 6 league games this season, with a pre-season under his belt.....which was the issue last season.
As I said, he doesn't do enough for me, regularly....
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Return to Match Day Archives