Accies v Ross County 27/08

Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies v Ross County 27/08

Postby Chase Outlaw » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:25 pm

Looking forward to this.County will be struggling around the relegation area so a win would be nice.Can see us scoring twice but can we keep the visitors out.
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Re: Accies v Ross County 27/08

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:08 pm

Hard to be confident when the full back position is always a weakness, but some decent play last week and if our chance taking improves we can cause them issues.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Don van Vliet » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:33 am

I'm thinking that we need to get Ali C involved much more than seemed to be happening against Dundee. I'm hopeful that if he can get involved then he will influence the course of the game. From what I saw of the Alba coverage the game seemed to (literally) go over his head for much of the time. Keep the ball on the ground!
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:42 pm

Is it wrong to want Killie hold on against Sevco? Ideally we'll both win.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:43 pm

Chase Outlaw wrote:Looking forward to this.County will be struggling around the relegation area so a win would be nice.Can see us scoring twice but can we keep the visitors out.

We usually have tough, closely-contested games v County, but I agree with this.

They've had a not-bad start, but I'm discounting their derby win over ICT, as I expect ICT to do a Dundee United this season. I'm counting Ross County as one of our close competitors in the bottom six, along with Kilmarnock, and hopefully one other (Motherwell? Partick?) Given the decent performance but disappointing result against Killie, we could do with a good three points today.

2-1 Accies, as long as we score first.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:04 pm

No Crawford or Longridge, both injured. So no pace in that side and Bingham on the bench. Surely he should start or Brophy? Missing this and maybe just as well.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:43 pm

Good game, good result.

Not so very different from the Killie game: we dominated and should have scored more; they were out if it for long spells but could still have taken something. Woodwork saved us in the first minute and a great one-handed save by Matthews late on. County couldn't have complained if we won 3-0.

Good points: we didn't miss Ally; MacKinnon was a revelation - he's not my sort of player and has been very unpopular on here lately, but today he gave us real drive; Redmond looked off the pace when he came on, but was soon spraying passes everywhere and causing them big problems; Lyon was effective at right back and going forward; nobody lost the head when decisions went against us, as quite a few did.

Bad points: finishing was once again our biggest failing - we made loads of chances but only converted one; Donati's passing was all over the place, disappointing for such a key figure; a better team would have punished our defensive weaknesses; that's about it!

I'd take that most weeks: we're good to watch, and today we got a result as well. :D
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:00 pm

RC hit the post early on, from which we recovered and gradually dominated the game. Our shape and pressing limited RC after that, first to almost every ball, and some decent flashes of skill as well. Donnati, Docherty and Daz never let County into the game - Daz was the clear MoTM. Even our stand in full backs did well, supported by Sarris and Devlin back to his best in stopping Biyce from doing much. D-Acol led the line well, holding the ball up and linking up; Brophy stretched them and was unlucky with a couple of shots. Redmond replaced Kurtaj who was probably the weak link and he did well with a couple of great passes.

Lots to be positive about, we even looked dangerous when we went to 3/5 at the back.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Burst Baws » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:30 pm

Wasn't at the match today but heard disappointing reports that some fans came away from the match smiling :lol:

No Crawford? Injured perhaps or dropped!! and good that Kurtaj is back hope he comes back to his best cos when he is on form he makes a huge difference with his creativity, just need more consistancy from him

Great that Imrie got the goal, always hard working even if not on top form and must now surely be one of Accies best ever signings
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:21 pm

That's what I call a solid performance. McKinnon had possibly his best game in an Accie's shirt. Closed down opponents and resisted loosing the plot wher he might have done in the past. Easily MotM.
Devlin still gives me jitters on too many occasions, but he did get better during the game. Kurtaj, just back, was a bit off the pace, but Canning's game plan worked, and his substitutions were timeous, and effective. Fresh legs and skills to hit a tiring RC defence.

We should have had a clear penalty with Danny being rugby tackled in their box, but the referee seemed to favour the visitors on too many occasions. Matthews had little to do, other than make a brilliant one handed save near the end, which gave us the victory.

Longridge slight ham-string injury & Crawford a head injury at training. Latter came up into the stand near us, and seemed unbandaged, so maybe not a long term problem.

Team fought for every ball. Imrie 150% effort once again, and could have had a hat-trick. His goal was sheer persistence effort being rewarded, and it was good to see D'Acol running up from the dug-out to the corner flag to celebrate along with those on the park.

Must be a great confidence booster, this result. Well done to Manager, Staff and Team today.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Burst Baws » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:51 pm

Just watching on Alba, shocking home crowd with only 1609 in attendance!! The town of Hamilton obviously arent interested in watching their local team. That is depressing and sad but what can you do?
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby Burst Baws » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:02 pm

great save by Mathews and then up the park and goal by Dougie

We have were by far the best team in second half,fully deserved our win
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:40 pm

Burst Baws wrote:Just watching on Alba, shocking home crowd with only 1609 in attendance!! The town of Hamilton obviously arent interested in watching their local team. That is depressing and sad but what can you do?

Just watched Sons TV highlights of their game at Falkirk yesterday (Top display from Alan Martin btw) and the crowd was 4100. I remember Falkirk's crowds 30 years ago only being a few hundred better than ours. We've probably had as many years in the top league since then as they've had but three cup final appearances and numerous semi finals and the galvanising effect they can have on a town must have made a difference. Not wishing to derail another match thread but I can't see our support ever increasing significantly until we actually achieve a run to a cup final.

It's actually quite a stunning support they've got considering they've been out of the Premier since 2010. They did give their supporters some great times last season though, two wins over "Rangers" and the play off classic against Hibs. But then we gave our supporters a thrilling day at Easter Road in 2014 and the next league crowd was 1622 against Inverness, Alex Neil, Tony Andreu et al.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:58 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:
Burst Baws wrote:Just watching on Alba, shocking home crowd with only 1609 in attendance!! The town of Hamilton obviously arent interested in watching their local team. That is depressing and sad but what can you do?

Just watched Sons TV highlights of their game at Falkirk yesterday (Top display from Alan Martin btw) and the crowd was 4100. I remember Falkirk's crowds 30 years ago only being a few hundred better than ours. We've probably had as many years in the top league since then as they've had but three cup final appearances and numerous semi finals and the galvanising effect they can have on a town must have made a difference. Not wishing to derail another match thread but I can't see our support ever increasing significantly until we actually achieve a run to a cup final.

It's actually quite a stunning support they've got considering they've been out of the Premier since 2010. They did give their supporters some great times last season though, two wins over "Rangers" and the play off classic against Hibs. But then we gave our supporters a thrilling day at Easter Road in 2014 and the next league crowd was 1622 against Inverness, Alex Neil, Tony Andreu et al.

I think it's a lot of factors more than lack of cup run. The atmosphere for me is a big thing, one of my relatives was up from England, Leeds supporter, took him to a game and he couldn't believe just how quiet the game was. Whilst the youngsters at the 'A' section might have a bad rep for some things, at least they gave some much needed sound to the game.
If you're trying to sell accies to the youth of today, it's a hard sell considering the distinct lack of noise, the distinct lack of attendance and the often terrible results.

P.S
I thought we thoroughly deserved to beat Ross county by at least 3 goals, they were dog shit. The Ross County curse has beenbroken thankfully. I thought D'Acol worked VERY hard in his role, holding up play and winning a lot of hard aerial battles, whilst chasing down lost causes. Mackinnon kept the head for a change and made some great runs, I do question whatever happened to his shooting ability, he used to love a shot at goal.
judgeflash
Premiership

Return to Match Day Archives