Hamilton Accies v Kilmarnock Match Thread

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Hamilton Accies v Kilmarnock Match Thread

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:19 pm

AmanAccie wrote:Some fans have lamented about this cup run thing so much that it's become an actual thing ffs. No team has any right to just get to a semi or final of a cup just because the fans haven't experienced it or that it's so easy to do if you play your strongest 11. Get a grip! There would also be nothing worse for me than getting to a semi or god forbid a final and getting beat. I don't get how it would be fulfilling to anyone. It would be great to win a cup absolutely but chances are slim I'd say. I used to roll up loads of pairs of socks and kick them about the living room and use the couch as goals, pretending I was playing for Accies against Barcelona in the European cup final then I grew up! Dreams are smashing but that's all they are.

I agree with one thing in your post. No team has a right to a cup run.

The rest of what you posted is beside the point.

The point is this. Cup runs are hugely important to fans, and evidently less important to the club, as we frequently play less than our best XI and give less than our best performances. Hence the frustration.

I'm in the second half of my personal century, and the last time I saw us in a major cup semi final was 37 years ago. In 74 attempts since then the best we have managed is quarter finals, and the last of those was nearly a decade ago. Also since then the following clubs have won a major cup: St MIrren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Ross County, Raith Rovers, and Livingston (I've probably missed someone), while others such as Falkirk have been in finals.

We don't have a right, but we are now the biggest club in Scottish football that has never won a major trophy, in 130 years of existence. And no near misses since the 1930s.

This is a real problem, not a schoolboy fantasy. Given that we cannot hope for more than perhaps one day to finish in the top six in the league, the cups represent our chance for a shot at glory. Some of us would even be willing to sacrifice a relegation to see us reach the business end of a cup, and far from "nothing worse", I would relish a day out at Hampden even if we lost. I don't expect us ever to win the SPL, or even qualify for Europe via the league, but I hope I see Accies in a cup final before I die - it's my sole ambition as an Accies fan, and like many others I care about it passionately.

So with respect, you "get a grip".
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby jamie fairlie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:52 pm

Some of the criticism levelled at Martin is excessive, particularly in tone, but it's very difficult to see beyond the statistics. Personally I wish I hadn't bought my two season books and regardless of the comments noted earlier about times being harder in previous eras I can honestly say that in my forty odd years of going to games I've never enjoyed my football less.

The standard of football is really low and it looks to me as if Martin would be relieved to get out of this ASAP.

The pressure on the guy is getting beyond the pale but if you have a family to support you cant walk away. I feel for him and lay the blame at the guys running the club.

Ronnie & Les have been quick to take the plaudits (and deservedly so) so on that basis they need to be big enough to deal with this situation.

I actually wish we had gone down because as it stands I can't see things improving.
jamie fairlie
Pub League

Postby AmanAccie » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:38 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:
AmanAccie wrote:Some fans have lamented about this cup run thing so much that it's become an actual thing ffs. No team has any right to just get to a semi or final of a cup just because the fans haven't experienced it or that it's so easy to do if you play your strongest 11. Get a grip! There would also be nothing worse for me than getting to a semi or god forbid a final and getting beat. I don't get how it would be fulfilling to anyone. It would be great to win a cup absolutely but chances are slim I'd say. I used to roll up loads of pairs of socks and kick them about the living room and use the couch as goals, pretending I was playing for Accies against Barcelona in the European cup final then I grew up! Dreams are smashing but that's all they are.

I agree with one thing in your post. No team has a right to a cup run.

The rest of what you posted is beside the point.

The point is this. Cup runs are hugely important to fans, and evidently less important to the club, as we frequently play less than our best XI and give less than our best performances. Hence the frustration.

I'm in the second half of my personal century, and the last time I saw us in a major cup semi final was 37 years ago. In 74 attempts since then the best we have managed is quarter finals, and the last of those was nearly a decade ago. Also since then the following clubs have won a major cup: St MIrren, Motherwell, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Ross County, Raith Rovers, and Livingston (I've probably missed someone), while others such as Falkirk have been in finals.

We don't have a right, but we are now the biggest club in Scottish football that has never won a major trophy, in 130 years of existence. And no near misses since the 1930s.

This is a real problem, not a schoolboy fantasy. Given that we cannot hope for more than perhaps one day to finish in the top six in the league, the cups represent our chance for a shot at glory. Some of us would even be willing to sacrifice a relegation to see us reach the business end of a cup, and far from "nothing worse", I would relish a day out at Hampden even if we lost. I don't expect us ever to win the SPL, or even qualify for Europe via the league, but I hope I see Accies in a cup final before I die - it's my sole ambition as an Accies fan, and like many others I care about it passionately.

So with respect, you "get a grip".
Why don't you ask Falkirk fans how they feel about being beat in the final, I'm sure they would have preferred putting more effort into getting out the Championship. As for this season I don't believe we didn't try to beat Morton it was a case of them being better than us on the night like it or not. Even with a weakened side we should have enough to beat them. Don't get me wrong I would love to see us at Hampden to try and get to a final but not at the expense of a place in the top flight. I fear we would struggle to stay in the Championship right now let alone get back up.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:02 pm

It hasn't been as long as a decade since our last quarter final WW, we reached the last eight of the Scottish Cup in 12/13, losing here to Falkirk. They then lost the semi 4-3 to Hibs after being 3-0 up at half time. Now that was one semi final experience I'm glad we missed. However, ask Falkirk fans about the cup final mood that hits the town during cup final week (they've had three since 1997) and the number of young fans who became more engaged with their local club as a result. That is precisely what we need or we're going to sit at 1200 fans for ever.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:20 pm

A cup run brings attention to yong player that mear survival does not!

A cup run brings extra ££££££ that mear survival does not!

A cup run could potentially bring new fans that Canning and mear survival does not!

You would think if the BOD backed what they say this would be priority!

But we are told time and time again that are a Diddy club with no Fan punching above our weight! Eat your flakes and shut up and except what we tell you, if we can be bothered telling you anything!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby ggr » Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:20 pm

[quote="porcupine"]BBC WEB SITE; Hamilton player-manager Martin Canning: "I thought we were the better team from start to finish. I thought we played good football, created lots of opportunities but we didn't take them and we conceded sloppy goals and it's a bad mix.

"But it's hard to be critical of the players because for large parts of the game we were totally comfortable and very much on top. If we'd taken one of our opportunities and got the second goal I think the game would have been done.

"(Richard Roy) is through on goal and he should score and then Ali Crawford bends in the free kick but it comes back off the post. You've just got to put it down to one of those days.

"I also thought there was a potential second yellow for William Boyle. I thought there was a foul on Greg Docherty in the corner but those things maybe go against you on days like this as well."

/quote]

Sounds like a pretty accurate summary of the game to me.
Smash and Grab job.
ggr
Pub League

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:25 am

Agreed.

Accies controlled most of the match.

Still, you need to take your chances or you get bitten on the bum.

I was way more concerned last year (in a good number of matches) when we created next to nothing.

Saturday we created lots of decent chances and a few guilt edged ones as well.

Although Kilmarnock won they are very poor and will be around relegation come May.

Onwards to Dens........
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby Big Wurzil » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:12 pm

"Why don't you ask Falkirk fans how they feel about being beat in the final, I'm sure they would have preferred putting more effort into getting out the Championship. As for this season I don't believe we didn't try to beat Morton it was a case of them being better than us on the night like it or not. Even with a weakened side we should have enough to beat them. Don't get me wrong I would love to see us at Hampden to try and get to a final but not at the expense of a place in the top flight. I fear we would struggle to stay in the Championship right now let alone get back up"

I did, my mate being a die hard Falkirk season ticket holder for 40 years nearly and has a big involvement with the club was utterly devastated that they lost the Final. He belongs to a generation who've never known a Cup Win and he speaks for more than a few with the same thoughts.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:46 am

Big Wurzil wrote:"Why don't you ask Falkirk fans how they feel about being beat in the final, I'm sure they would have preferred putting more effort into getting out the Championship. As for this season I don't believe we didn't try to beat Morton it was a case of them being better than us on the night like it or not. Even with a weakened side we should have enough to beat them. Don't get me wrong I would love to see us at Hampden to try and get to a final but not at the expense of a place in the top flight. I fear we would struggle to stay in the Championship right now let alone get back up"

I did, my mate being a die hard Falkirk season ticket holder for 40 years nearly and has a big involvement with the club was utterly devastated that they lost the Final. He belongs to a generation who've never known a Cup Win and he speaks for more than a few with the same thoughts.

Interesting, but no comparison with Accies.

Falkirk have played 3 Scottish Cup Finals in the last 20 years, and lost them all. They probably fancied their chances in at least one of them. They've also won the cup twice, further back in their history.

Accies have never won a cup, and haven't been in a final for 80 years.

So many of us would be over the moon just to get to Hampden. Disappointed to lose? Certainly. "Utterly devastated"? No.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:41 pm

[quote="Willie Wastle"]

Accies have never won a cup, and haven't been in a final for 80 years.

Are you not old enough to remember the two B&Q Cup Finals that we won??

Sevco made enough noise in the papers about winning this Cup (as the Challenge Cup) just a year or so back.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:42 pm

And we are way off topic on this Kilmarnock Thread
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:15 pm

A cup that people care about.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:A cup that people care about.

Exactly. A "major trophy", as I started out saying.

For the record, I've been at all four of our Challenge Cup finals. But this is about the big cups: The Scottish Cup and the Scottish League Cup.
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:52 pm

" Accies have never won a cup". Thought that meant what it said? Must be more specific. Can do better :roll: :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives