Hamilton vs Greenock Morton - 9.8.16 Road to Quarter Finals

Old match day threads will be moved here

Hamilton vs Greenock Morton - 9.8.16 Road to Quarter Finals

Postby judgeflash » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:32 pm

What's everyones thoughts about tonight ? I'm sure the Greenock fans will be demanding their team exact revenge for the last visit to NDP. A win will see us into the quarter finals.
I've put money on Hamilton to win but maybe to concede.
judgeflash
Premiership

Re: Hamilton vs Greenock Morton - 9.8.16 Road to Quarter Fin

Postby AmanAccie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Morton look half decent this season. Certainly be harder to beat than the last time. Can see the fans getting frustrated tonight but still think we'll scrape through 2-1
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:58 pm

We are their bogey team. More important than last Saturday arguably but not as important as this Saturday no point lifting your game v rangers if you can't do the same to Morton. They will see it as winnable despite the scoreline last time.
Last edited by redandwhite1874 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:26 pm

I'd settle for a 1-0 Accies win, with a late Morton equaliser disallowed for handball.

;)
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:I'd settle for a 1-0 Accies win, with a late Morton equaliser disallowed for handball.

;)

Now you are talkin :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:48 pm

They've not beat us in 10 games so make that 11 after tonight. 3-0 accies on the road to Hampden
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:13 pm

The team starts with No strikers

What do we not want to try and win cup games?

WTF was the 1/2 time team talk? " we don't want a cup run why are we winning go out a sort it out" how many games have we lost goals just after 1/2 time?

Fantastic game and all credit to Martin for Saturday but Another poor canning cup display.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby AmanAccie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:49 pm

I said the fans would be frustrated, didn't expect it to be so bad. Morton looking good for the season ahead. We have serious problems.
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby silverfox » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:58 pm

First game of the season for me but game had a familiar feel i.e. puzzling selections, unfit looking players , lack of organisation, flair or real goal threat

Morton deserved the win and were well up for it..........could be a long season ahead?
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:03 pm

After all the positives from Saturday, looks like normal service has resumed
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:23 pm

WTF was that? As bad a display as I can ever recall. Sarris and Devlin beyond abysmal. I'd be happier if we had that Morton side, some very good players but they didn't need to be that good to beat us. The game should have been over at half time. Alloa and Morton will reach a semi final before we ever will. Accies are a bunch of losers when it comes to the cups.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:28 pm

Disgraceful "Billy big time" performance.No strikers and no urgency until we went behind.

This was potentially the year to get to a Semi-Final and to repay the Accies support for many, many,many years of terrible Cup results and we were beaten by a side with guys who comprised of some of our rejects.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:34 pm

This was truly shocking for those not there.

Kurakins, who failed all last season to convince me of any real skill, was hooked before half time, which resulted in Gils being switched from RB to LB. Devlin, who looks a player still learning from his many, many mistakes in every game, has no visible qualities to be a regular starter, far less Taem Captain. It just shows our Manager's tactical skills, when he appoints someone who is so inconsistently poor at his role as a centre back, far less an authoritive figure as Captain. Sarris made some poor decisions too. and only our keeper kept the scoreline looking OK for much of the game.

Wwe were fortunate to be given an early penalty. Dougie was pushed but made the most of it, but our lead seemed less than fair, where Morton were the better team in the first half, far less the second.

Docherty put in a shift, too, but we had NO recognisable striker on from the start, and Richard Roy's late appearance was too little, too late. Ali blew hot and cold again. Darien got booked again (of course). Donati then came on midway through 2nd half.

On this showing, we look seriously weak all over, and if Lee Clarke was there tonight, he must have gone home a happy man.
Like many whom I spoke to on the way out, I fear for Saturday's result.

It has been clear since last year that we need a LB, and now a RB. MC's judgement again comes into question. He too, is not the amswer to our Premier League survival, even after a point at Ibrox.

I hope the bookies prediactions are wrong (again) but this looks to be a Very Long Season ahead. :cry: :cry:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:46 pm

porcupine wrote:This was truly shocking for those not there.

Kurakins, who failed all last season to convince me of any real skill, was hooked before half time, which resulted in Gils being switched from RB to LB. Devlin, who looks a player still learning from his many, many mistakes in every game, has no visible qualities to be a regular starter, far less Taem Captain. It just shows our Manager's tactical skills, when he appoints someone who is so inconsistently poor at his role as a centre back, far less an authoritive figure as Captain. Sarris made some poor decisions too. and only our keeper kept the scoreline looking OK for much of the game.

Wwe were fortunate to be given an early penalty. Dougie was pushed but made the most of it, but our lead seemed less than fair, where Morton were the better team in the first half, far less the second.

Docherty put in a shift, too, but we had NO recognisable striker on from the start, and Richard Roy's late appearance was too little, too late. Ali blew hot and cold again. Darien got booked again (of course). Donati then came on midway through 2nd half.

On this showing, we look seriously weak all over, and if Lee Clarke was there tonight, he must have gone home a happy man.

It has been clear since last year that we need a LB, and now a RB. MC's judgement again comes into question. He too, is not the amswer to our Premier League survival, even after a point at Ibrox.

I hope the bookies prediactions are wrong (again) but this looks to be a Very Long Season ahead. :cry: :cry:

Donati came on at half time but had no impact so it's understandable that you didn't notice.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:09 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:

Donati came on at half time but had no impact so it's understandable that you didn't notice.

True! Boyd equally anonymous in the first 45 :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:52 am

back down to earth with a bang. Normal service again by calamity Canning and his gaffer's. no full backs, no striker and a clueless tactician was only going to end in falure.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby The Bajan Bandit » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:24 am

Quitongo caused us problems all night and to think we had him on our books yet did not progress him to first team but club are happy to persist with guys like Longridge(given to many chances) and Redmond(always injured) who add very little .

Performance was what the manager is Gutless , spineless & clueless but what should i expect of a team with a manager who is not judged on results .

The board will have to find more signings to continue to try hide the fact that there pet project Canning is not up to it .

Another chance gone and yet another cup drubbing will be swept under the carpet "punching above our weight" "know our place" , sickened by that last night .
The Bajan Bandit
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:06 am

Time to look in the lower leagues for the best players and not to a team that got relegated from Turkey's second tier. Sarris was as bad last night as he was good at Ibrox.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:46 am

Nail on the head pretty much. Tactics lacking as always, zero leadership on the pitch,

I'll start with Devlin, I took pelters for saying he wasn't good enough to be Captain, I don't think he's good enough to even be a first choice centre back. A comment from my Hearts supporting friend who came along with me was "This team is really lacking any form of leadership" He was all over the shop last night along with dire performances from Kurakins and Mackinnon * Who again was seen screaming at Canning for being taken off* .
Mackinnon, Longridge, Kurakins, Devlin, Lyon and Boyd IMO are not premier division quality players and they continue to prove me right with these sorts of performances.
All last season we were punished from crosses, this trend continues. The only person on that pitch that deserved absolute credit was Matthews, if not for him they easily could've had 4-5 goals. Gillespie proved his worth by being able to adapt to a different position so fluently. Imrie and Crawford are who we looked too, but as always, when they're not on game, the team also seem to struggle.

Morton deserved to win, we didn't even deserve that penalty, it was very soft. Outwith a few fancy flicks and quick 1-2's , we barely had any real chance creation, instead resorting to punts to the likes of Imrie, who didn't win a header all game.
One thing that disgusted me was the behaviour of Morton's No.4 , the pepe style play acting should come with match bans, as faking taking a headbutt could've resulted in us going down to 10 men very easily if the ref was fooled.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:59 am

Thank you, Judgeflash, and also for your additional comments which are also spot-on.

On this showing, we are in deep doo-doo. Canning's comments on BBC say 'looking for four more players'!! 21 days left. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
porcupine
Premiership

Next

Return to Match Day Archives