Hamilton vs Greenock Morton - 9.8.16 Road to Quarter Finals

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Hamilton vs Greenock Morton - 9.8.16 Road to Quarter Fin

Postby DC United » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:00 pm

I thought the praise following the Rangers game was way over the top. Decent effort against a very poor Rangers performance, no better than that.

As for last night, we started brightly enough and benefited from a soft penalty, following which we were strong for the next 10-15 minutes, then Morton took over. Duffy pushed two up front and they gave our dodgy centre halves nightmares. As someone said earlier, I have my doubts Devlin is cut out for this level, let alone captain. Kurakins was his usual appauling self and hooked after 30 minutes for Lyons who was also poor. Longridge should have made more of a chance at 1-1 however he cannot be relied on when it matters. MacKinnon was terrible all night, apart from one 50-50 he did well to win, however spoiled it by turning and squaring up to the Morton player and collecting his usual card. He will never learn and I cannot believe we still haven't cut our losses with this ned. Roy came on and got no real service and we continued to lump high balls up to Imrie. Just a thought, but if that's the game plan, a goal down in the cup, why not stick Devlin or Sarris up front? Matthews looked good again and will be a real asset this season.

Overall very poor and a wasted opportunity for a decent cup run, yet again. The crazy thing is that the team is so inconsistent that I wouldn't be shocked if we take a few off Killie or if they thump us!
DC United
Pub League

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:28 pm

Very disappointed last night. Winning our group and getting a home draw v lower league opposition was a great chance to make the quarters, and then who knows? But we blew it again - our cup form has been dreadful for years.

However, in mitigation, we are inconsistent, partly because we play so many young players, partly because of selection changes forced by injuries and suspensions, partly because our new team is still gelling. And Morton are clearly a team on the rise, who have done well so far this season, will cause a few teams problems, and will be there or thereabouts at the business end.

I must admit, even though they outshone us in the first half, at half time I was still looking forward to the quarter final draw. But once they scored two good goals and settled in to defend their lead, it was clear there could only be one winner. Even with our best side on the pitch, we might have struggled in that tie: as it was, lacking width and a proper striker to lead the line, we rarely threatened, and always looked vulnerable. We passed well in the first half, and showed sone potential in flashes, but if we play like that on Saturday, Killie will beat us.

That's not my prediction, by the way. I think we'll play better (that inconsistency thing again) and get a result. Here's hoping.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:27 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:Very disappointed last night. Winning our group and getting a home draw v lower league opposition was a great chance to make the quarters, and then who knows? But we blew it again - our cup form has been dreadful for years.

However, in mitigation, we are inconsistent, partly because we play so many young players, partly because of selection changes forced by injuries and suspensions, partly because our new team is still gelling. And Morton are clearly a team on the rise, who have done well so far this season, will cause a few teams problems, and will be there or thereabouts at the business end.

I must admit, even though they outshone us in the first half, at half time I was still looking forward to the quarter final draw. But once they scored two good goals and settled in to defend their lead, it was clear there could only be one winner. Even with our best side on the pitch, we might have struggled in that tie: as it was, lacking width and a proper striker to lead the line, we rarely threatened, and always looked vulnerable. We passed well in the first half, and showed sone potential in flashes, but if we play like that on Saturday, Killie will beat us.

That's not my prediction, by the way. I think we'll play better (that inconsistency thing again) and get a result. Here's hoping.

Personally I think it's less down to "new team gelling" and more a case of the selected players just are not upto scratch. Outwith Boyd the team we presented is pretty much a first team, the only "new" players who started were Matthews and Sarris?
Thank Alex Neil for sending us a very competent keeper.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:50 pm

2 good games, 2 ok games and 2 horrendous ones. Chuck in the failure to fill clear gaps and we have all been here before. Wider context is that our fellow relegation fighters are doing no better. Makes Saturday's game huge already.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:23 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:2 good games, 2 ok games and 2 horrendous ones. Chuck in the failure to fill clear gaps and we have all been here before. Wider context is that our fellow relegation fighters are doing no better. Makes Saturday's game huge already.

We really should've been finished by Livingston who were unlucky not to beat us, we also were very lucky that Rangers were underperforming. Same old story, too many players exist within our team that are just not upto scratch, it seems that petulance, lack of ability and skill are rewarded with a contract extension.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:32 am

As well as those who seem to be injury prone for much of the season? GK, DR etc.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:10 pm

porcupine wrote:As well as those who seem to be injury prone for much of the season? GK, DR etc.

Rewarding Danny Redmond with a new contract was an eyebrow raiser for sure as he's visibly struggled for a long time. As was Mackinnon and Longridge. I know Devlin was injured for a while, but he's come back just as hapless as he was pre injury.
I wish I could watch back the entire match and see just how few times we managed to string more than 3 passes together without a punt up top.
I try to not think about it all as it fills me with grim, I've seen substantially more competent players within the championship and league 1 who could be within our wage budget, instead of the likes of 'Captain' Mikey, Longridge, Kurakins and the big ned himself Mackinnon.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the window closes for signings?
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:41 pm

[quote="j

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the window closes for signings?[/quote]

Pretty sure it is 31 August......only 20 days from now to pull rabbits out of hats :roll: :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:23 pm

porcupine wrote:[quote="j

Out of curiosity, does anyone know when the window closes for signings?

Pretty sure it is 31 August......only 20 days from now to pull rabbits out of hats :roll: :roll:[/quote]

Well Canning has a great history of signings... Maybe we can sign Lee Lynch, Sumsky, Hasselbaink, Nade, Agustein, Congo Chris, Chris Turner, Sendles White, Alan Martin, Diaby... See where I'm going here? haha.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:09 pm

judgeflash wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:2 good games, 2 ok games and 2 horrendous ones. Chuck in the failure to fill clear gaps and we have all been here before. Wider context is that our fellow relegation fighters are doing no better. Makes Saturday's game huge already.

We really should've been finished by Livingston who were unlucky not to beat us, we also were very lucky that Rangers were underperforming. Same old story, too many players exist within our team that are just not upto scratch, it seems that petulance, lack of ability and skill are rewarded with a contract extension.

Just read what you posted after the Rangers game. So we were lucky against an underperforming Rangers team now. Seven days really is a long time in football! :D
Gaspode
Championship

Postby glasgow accie » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:13 pm

It is if you are an Accies fan ....
When Saturday comes...WE ARE HAMILTON........136
glasgow accie
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:16 pm

Gaspode wrote:
judgeflash wrote:

Just read what you posted after the Rangers game. So we were lucky against an underperforming Rangers team now. Seven days really is a long time in football! :D

the result was fantastic. if Rangers showed up in form they'd have done some damage. They came very close to beating us so a draw was a massive result to be proud of, even if they weren't at full steam. Surely that wasn't so hard to understand?
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Oh, i understand perfectly, it's the fact you have swung so far towards negativity from what was an excellent performance last week. I'll wait till the end of August and our next 3 fixtures and the window closing before i form an opinion as to how the season will pan out.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:53 pm

Gaspode wrote:Oh, i understand perfectly, it's the fact you have swung so far towards negativity from what was an excellent performance last week. I'll wait till the end of August and our next 3 fixtures and the window closing before i form an opinion as to how the season will pan out.

I'm sure every accies fan couldn't believe our luck, we should've been filled with confidence, our players more so. What happened on Tuesday was just abysmal, lacklustre and reminiscent of 90% of Canning's reign.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:22 pm

judgeflash wrote: I know Devlin was injured for a while, but he's come back just as hapless as he was pre injury.

Ridiculous! Consistently our best centre half pre-injury and with the exception of a couple of really poor games (after 9 months out) our best defender for the latter half of last season.

Knifes are out for another young player brought through the academy (admittedly not helped by Tuesday's performance) wonder if he'll get in a worst Accies xi team on this forum? :shock:
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby judgeflash » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:09 am

Yummy Fur wrote:
judgeflash wrote: I know Devlin was injured for a while, but he's come back just as hapless as he was pre injury.

Ridiculous! Consistently our best centre half pre-injury and with the exception of a couple of really poor games (after 9 months out) our best defender for the latter half of last season.

Knifes are out for another young player brought through the academy (admittedly not helped by Tuesday's performance) wonder if he'll get in a worst Accies xi team on this forum? :shock:

Really? Massively disagree. Even if it was between Him, Canning/Lucas/Jesus, I'd go with Jesus/Lucas/Canning combo any day. Devlin is much smaller, less commanding yet seems to have the same lack of pace as them.
As I and others have said, he's not a premier division quality CB or captain. His mistakes cost us dearly.
Simon Mensing in disguise.
judgeflash
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives