Old match day threads will be moved here

Betfred Cup .V. Livingston - MATCH THREAD

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:57 pm

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Betfred Cup .V. Livingston - MATCH THREAD

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:06 pm

Win and we qualify, barring some mathematical miracle.....

Another comfortable win would be good, trying to help us prepare for a very difficult opening SPFL fixture.

Hopefully, we get the win and a few goals, to boot :D
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:12 am

If we win we go above Ayr and would have a gd of at least plus 5. St Mirren play City and currently have a minus 1 gd so would need to improve that by 7 to overtake us. However the potential selection issues and perhaps resting some means we will be in for a hard game. The 4 best top teams are also seeded in the next round but not sure how we are positioned in terms of the other groups.
RC are out and ourselves Killie, Dundee could join them.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:57 pm

Livvy looked the better team for much of the game, organised, willing to work for the ball, and with better finishing, could, and should, have punished us. We were hanging on for 2-1 for far too long today.

Accies were poor today, with Ali Crawford almost invisible, other than one shot near the end. Donati had a reasonable game, and the new Stavros (Sarris) from Greece certainly looks as if he knows his way around a football pitch. He put in some great tackles, and was hooked after 60 minutes, presumably not yet fully match fit. Devlin is another bombscare on too many occasions, as is Kurakins, and I fear for our defence in a week's time against a resurgent Rangers at Ibrox. Gillespie had a good game, Docherty was good in patches as was Longridge. If only the latter could convince himself to take that last touch or shot himself. Yes, I know he scored, from a set piece, (and he put it away cleanly) but he had other more promising chances wher his last touch let him down.

Alex D'Acol still looks not fully fit, and seemed to run out of steam in the last 20 minutes. Young Boyd looked fresh, and had some great touches when he finally came on. I would be tempted to start him once to see what he can give for the first half. He has both pace and skill. But, oh, how we miss Carlton Morris. We still need a striker badly,
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:10 pm

porcupine wrote:Livvy looked the better team for much of the game, organised, willing to work for the ball, and with better finishing, could, and should, have punished us. We were hanging on for 2-1 for far too long today.

Accies were poor today, with Ali Crawford almost invisible, other than one shot near the end. Donati had a reasonable game, and the new Stavros (Sarris) from Greece certainly looks as if he knows his way around a football pitch. He put in some great tackles, and was hooked after 60 minutes, presumably not yet fully match fit. Devlin is another bombscare on too many occasions, as is Kurakins, and I fear for our defence in a week's time against a resurgent Rangers at Ibrox. Gillespie had a good game, Docherty was good in patches as was Longridge. If only the latter could convince himself to take that last touch or shot himself. Yes, I know he scored, from a set piece, (and he put it away cleanly) but he had other more promising chances wher his last touch let him down.

Alex D'Acol still looks not fully fit, and seemed to run out of steam in the last 20 minutes. Young Boyd looked fresh, and had some great touches when he finally came on. I would be tempted to start him once to see what he can give for the first half. He has both pace and skill. But, oh, how we miss Carlton Morris. We still need a striker badly,

Yip would agree with this. Btw I prefer Bomber Sarris.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:41 am

Job done and it's fair to say that a draw or defeat would have seen many more people with stuff to say on here.
But we live in a criticism centric world with folk just waiting to jump on failure.

Decent result but Gills, Kurakins, Docherty and
Longridge were poor yet again.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:27 am

Thought Longridge was our most dangerous threat. Decision making poor at times but you now expect that. We were so poor and could easily have lost that. I can't remember a game in recent years where we spent so little time in the opposition penalty area. Matthews was my MOTM, some fine saves. Can understand the changes after we scored but we fell apart a bit after Sarris and Donati went off. We urgently need another centre half. Hope Kurtaj and Brophy can get fit for the Killie game at the latest.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Calvin Cringan 1 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:43 pm

Great victory yesterday, that has got us through to the last 16.
Martin is starting to build a decent team and I am really excited about the season ahead.
Top 6 and a cup final would be a great season and realistically quite possible.
Calvin Cringan 1
Pub League

Postby judgeflash » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:54 am

Calvin Cringan 1 wrote:Great victory yesterday, that has got us through to the last 16.
Martin is starting to build a decent team and I am really excited about the season ahead.

......... I'll have some of the drugs he's having ^
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:32 am

judgeflash wrote:
Calvin Cringan 1 wrote:Great victory yesterday, that has got us through to the last 16.

You know, I thought exactly the same thing when I read that post :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Don van Vliet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:31 pm

judgeflash wrote:

But then again... look at what happened to some of our rivals. Killie? Dundee? Ross County? At least we've topped the group which is more than they could manage. On that basis, 3 of the 11 teams we will be competing with have made a worse start to the season.

(And when it comes to drugs, nobody can teach Don Van Vliet anything!)
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Return to Match Day Archives