Betfred Cup @ Edinburgh City - MATCH THREAD

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Betfred Cup @ Edinburgh City - MATCH THREAD

Postby judgeflash » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:36 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:Nine players out if we include Sarris and Canning so we got through it, dealt with adversity and now just need any sort of win on Saturday. I think most squads would struggle at this early stage with all those players unavailable.

9 players out perhaps, but that's not far off the lineup we will be putting out against Aberdeen, Glasgow Rangers and Celtic in a few weeks.
Mcgregor looked out his depth against part timers. I've zero faith in Devlin + any combo at CB. You'd think with a centre back manager we would have a shit hot defensive setup.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:30 pm

Last night shows the skeleton squad we have. It also shows that we should have paid to keep Ziggy as he can be CB, LB and RB.

The Latvian liability can't play LB let Alone CB.

We need a squad to last the season.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:56 pm

H9crx wrote:Last night shows the skeleton squad we have. It also shows that we should have paid to keep Ziggy as he can be CB, LB and RB.

Ziggy wanted to go. Can we not drop this nonsense?

Any team would struggle with 9 players unavailable.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:
H9crx wrote:Last night shows the skeleton squad we have. It also shows that we should have paid to keep Ziggy as he can be CB, LB and RB.

Ziggy wanted to go. Can we not drop this nonsense?

Any team would struggle with 9 players unavailable.

It is very clear that such nonsense is very much here to stay. Conclusive verdicts on players on the primary basis of watching on TV clips don't really merit much attention
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Gaspode » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:03 pm

Ziggy left because his agent assured him he'd get a decent move. Didn't happen so he grabbed the one and only offer he got.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:18 pm

Gaspode wrote:

Ziggy left because his agent assured him he'd get a decent move. Didn't happen so he grabbed the one and only offer he got.

And let's not forget, the money.
Bigger crowds weekly also. Certainly not a 'bigger club' or better, but they have more financial stabilit

The whole "skeleton" crew excuse doesnt cut it. 9 out or not, that team that played is not far off one of our potential first teams for the first few months of the season at least. With Devlin in it wouldn't have made much difference imo, as he's not upto par.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:34 pm

I like Devlin but opinions vary. However to say he is no better than Kurakins playin at CB is surely pushing it?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:55 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:I like Devlin but opinions vary. However to say he is no better than Kurakins playin at CB is surely pushing it?

I like Devlin too and don't quite understand the current backlash. Last season he was rushed back after being out with a serious injury for 9 months with only a 45 minute run out in the U20s. Understandably he had a couple of shaky games (Annan & Celtic) but then played a huge part in making our defence more solid and in us ultimately staying up. Hopefully with a full pre-season we'll see him even better.

Last night I reckon we were on our 5th & 6th choice centre backs and played a 17 year old debutant midfielder at left back - to say that isn't far off our 1st choice team is nonsense.

Last night didn't fill me with huge optimism but when they could of folded previously they stood up and ultimately won the game comfortably. Other positives - world class free kick from Crawford (I'm sure someone will remind me of another but it seems to be the first direct free kick he's scored for us), nicely worked set piece move for McGregor's goal and a sublime few seconds of skill from Gillespie to win the penalty.

Worries was a lack of pace in forward positions and unfortunately despite his goal (and perhaps he still struggling fitness wise) D'Acol looks to be miles off being our goal scoring answer we require.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Davidson1874 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:24 pm

Defence was thrown together last night and it showed glaringly at times but it improved as the game went on, McGregor looked a bit raw, with an organiser like Devlin beside him we would have been a great deal more solid, MD would have talked him through the game.

I felt sorry for Hughes last night he looked lost at left back, would have thot playing Breslin at right back and Gillespie at left back would have been a smarter move (fitness allowing)

I don't share the same faith as others regarding D'Acol, his goal apart he seemed to be caught on his heels a few times when a sharper striker would have taken advantage of loose balls.

Plenty of industry from Imrie Docherty and Longridge but I doubt they have enough to carry us through a season. Ali and Donati seem to have the ability we need this season, Mo is always available for a pass, finds space well and good range of pass, Crawford just needs to believe in himself and the boo boys to shut the fuck up.
Davidson1874
Pub League

Postby Hooper » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:27 pm

Don't understand people saying Breslin at right back he has played every game at centre back as the lad Reilly starts every game at right back so surely having not long signed a new long term deal he must be in the plans somewhere for that position also the game last night we were pretty poor in patches as someone previously said we do seem to lack pace
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby judgeflash » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:22 am

Yummy Fur wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:I like Devlin but opinions vary. However to say he is no better than Kurakins playin at CB is surely pushing it?

I like Devlin too and don't quite understand the current backlash. Last season he was rushed back after being out with a serious injury for 9 months with only a 45 minute run out in the U20s. Understandably he had a couple of shaky games (Annan & Celtic) but then played a huge part in making our defence more solid and in us ultimately staying up. Hopefully with a full pre-season we'll see him even better.

Last night I reckon we were on our 5th & 6th choice centre backs and played a 17 year old debutant midfielder at left back - to say that isn't far off our 1st choice team is nonsense.

Last night didn't fill me with huge optimism but when they could of folded previously they stood up and ultimately won the game comfortably. Other positives - world class free kick from Crawford (I'm sure someone will remind me of another but it seems to be the first direct free kick he's scored for us), nicely worked set piece move for McGregor's goal and a sublime few seconds of skill from Gillespie to win the penalty.

Worries was a lack of pace in forward positions and unfortunately despite his goal (and perhaps he still struggling fitness wise) D'Acol looks to be miles off being our goal scoring answer we require.

Outwith a couple of selections, take a look at the midfield/goalkeer/forwards. Pretty much going to be those combinations of players used throughout the season. With Jesus out for most the season/Devlin never looking match fit, I was correct in saying this is probably what we're gonna be looking at. hence the 'skeleton crew' excuse not really cutting it.
I hope Sarris has had a pre season somewhere or we're gonna have to wait a while before he's able to put in a shift.

Agreed with the above poster about the worrying lack of pace, outwith Imrie I don't see anyone with pace except maybe Docherty ? A winger with pace was on my Accies wish list.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Hooper » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:19 am

Having watched most 20s games I feel the lad who plays right fullback could be moved forward and used as a winger as he is very direct and has tons of pace
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:00 am

In terms of changes we would maybe look to have from the City game I would say that both CBs, we need a new RB, we would change the LB and we could have perhaps Brophy and Kurtaj in the team as well. That's before any new striker is considered which we have clearly identified as required.

So not sure how the team v City is in any way a real benchmark ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:03 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:In terms of changes we would maybe look to have from the City game I would say that both CBs, we need a new RB, we would change the LB and we could have perhaps Brophy and Kurtaj in the team as well. That's before any new striker is considered which we have clearly identified as required.

So not sure how the team v City is in any way a real benchmark ?

Do you really see our club going out and acquiring QUALITY players for all of the positions we need?
Donatti looks great on his debut, Sarris I'm not sure about. Turkish league 2 football for a season then here.
Of course not, so it's gonna be not far off our final product for day 1 of the league season.

At this rate we'd probably benefit from a 5-3-2 since we lack the ability to play players in their natural ability due to poor insourcing.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:16 pm

You are right re quality coming in etc. But I was only making the point that Edinburgh was far from how we are likely to want to line up in the league.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives