Accies v Celtic MATCH THREAD

Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies v Celtic MATCH THREAD

Postby brogansrightpeg » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Being realistic,is there anything that we can take from this game? I have a really bad feeling about this one.
Massive Alan ate everything
brogansrightpeg
Seaside Leagues

Re: Accies v Celtic MATCH THREAD

Postby Steven MacReedy » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:22 pm

I fear a heavy defeat is on the cards, especially if Celtic get an early goal.
Canning will no doubt set up to try get a 0-0 but when that fails lack of plan B will see us get gubbed 0-5.
Steven MacReedy
Pub League

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:12 am

To be honest,the Accies players should be busting a gut for this game.Surely any professional who suffers an embarrassment the way we did that night will be wanting revenge big style and to redeem their pride.....Surely.

This game for those reasons will show me what pride and professionalism our players have.For that reason,I am somewhat naively confident we will put on a decent display in spite of Canning and his Masters upstairs.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:16 am

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:To be honest,the Accies players should be busting a gut for this game.Surely any professional who suffers an embarrassment the way we did that night will be wanting revenge big style and to redeem their pride.....Surely.

This game for those reasons will show me what pride and professionalism our players have.For that reason,I am somewhat naively confident we will put on a decent display in spite of Canning and his Masters upstairs.

The players have been striped of any confidence in cannings run as manager. They will be nervise wrecks that they will take another pumping. It's such a sad stat watching Crawford dismiss under this clown manager.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:45 am

It isn't going to be a universally popular post this as I'm taking the unprecedented step of saying something positive about Martin Canning (watch out I'm going to defend Ali Crawford next) but Canning and Beuzalin deserve some credit for the last few games and how they've changed formation and made us organised and hard to beat again. Understandably after the Annan & Celtic debacles patience is low which lead to the near hysterical reaction on this forum and others like it to a slightly unfortunate (I understand) narrow away defeat to the currently 4th best team in Scotland.

For Friday I would expect the same team again with the exception of Devlin coming in for Jesus which should make us stronger defensively with the advantage of having our on field organiser back. After a shaky start Devlin deserves huge credit in the way he's come back in after a 9 month serious injury lay off without any pre-season and a minimal amount of game time.

Canning's big issue is how do we create anything from the current formation - ideally you soak up pressure and then hit quickly on the break but we are a team with so little pace. If Morris starts then he needs to hold the ball up so much better than he's been doing.

Strange game football sometimes and no matter how unlikely the eternal optimist in me will go along Friday hoping for a huge turnaround from our last drubbing.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Hooper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:00 am

We do look a more solid team not losing as many goals but we have nothing going forward can't hit on the break as we are so slow no real pace in the team at all
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bluesy » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:31 pm

I went into the last game crapping it and expecting a bad beating - now I have a little bit of hope due to the new formation.
Obviously I would prefer that we played like we did at the stary of the season (not losing so many goals and attacking freely) however he did need to steady the ship.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Yummy Fur wrote:It isn't going to be a universally popular post this as I'm taking the unprecedented step of saying something positive about Martin Canning (watch out I'm going to defend Ali Crawford next) but Canning and Beuzalin deserve some credit for the last few games and how they've changed formation and made us organised and hard to beat again. Understandably after the Annan & Celtic debacles patience is low which lead to the near hysterical reaction on this forum and others like it to a slightly unfortunate (I understand) narrow away defeat to the currently 4th best team in Scotland.

For Friday I would expect the same team again with the exception of Devlin coming in for Jesus which should make us stronger defensively with the advantage of having our on field organiser back. After a shaky start Devlin deserves huge credit in the way he's come back in after a 9 month serious injury lay off without any pre-season and a minimal amount of game time.

Canning's big issue is how do we create anything from the current formation - ideally you soak up pressure and then hit quickly on the break but we are a team with so little pace. If Morris starts then he needs to hold the ball up so much better than he's been doing.

Strange game football sometimes and no matter how unlikely the eternal optimist in me will go along Friday hoping for a huge turnaround from our last drubbing.

Jeez, this is a way too sensible post for this forum......
I agree with all that you have mentioned :D

The team will change very little in terms of personnel and shape.

Crawford has disappointed but so has Kurtaj.....way off the pace for months!!

I would like to see us change to a slightly more attacking formation when Motherwell, Thistle and (perhaps to a lesser extent) Dundee visit NDP..........

Fingers crossed we can take a point on Friday.....
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby Stodmeister » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:23 pm

I'm always the eternal optimist but just can't see us getting anything from this game or to be honest any of the next few . We have no effective forwards or any real cutting edge.

Every game seems like a war of attrition , we're back in the Billy Reid trenches.

Looking at the players I think we have one of the weakest sets available in the bottom split of teams and a manager who just can't find his feet , unfortunately I don't think he has it. The league positions or current form does not lie.
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby Alexander the Great » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Ali Crawford is needing a spell on the bench instead of his guaranteed place every week, bring in Docherty or Gillespie or even both and stick Lyon on the bench as well
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:11 pm

Alexander the Great wrote:Ali Crawford is needing a spell on the bench instead of his guaranteed place every week, bring in Docherty or Gillespie or even both and stick Lyon on the bench as well

Ali Crawford needs dropped end off. He's been rotten for months now. Has he got to the stage he is fed up now and needs a new challenge or is it he feels he's undroppable and doesn't need to try a leg. Anyway Friday night will be the usual Accies Celtic love fest and Celtic to win 4-0.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby really? » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:53 pm

See in the papers today Ronny Deila in favour of plastic pitches in Scotland - he likes Kilmarnock's pitch but says ours is too slippery. Have to say I reckon our pitch looks better than Killie's, which looks very artificial, like our last one.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:48 pm

It's not rational, I know, but I think it could be close tonight. We rarely get gubbed twice in a row by the likes of Celtic. I hope we can nick a draw, but it may just be a narrow defeat.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Hooper » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Same bench again its a worry for me if I'm honest
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby Todd_is_God » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:27 pm

Poor decision making like Imrie's challenge to give away the penalty is why we are where we are.

What a dumb decision. Celtic have been so poor tonight, yet lead.

We should be 0-0 v 10 men. Not trailing.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:40 pm

Well done to the team tonight!

Canning got the subs correct!

Vital point and a goal at home!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:41 pm

Good point.

Could easily have been three, but the green-eyed ref more than made up for (rightly) reducing them to 10 men. Overall it was probably a fair result.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Alty accie » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:47 pm

Great point tonight. How valuable could that penalty save turn out to be. Very optimistic now. :)
Alty accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby AlMac » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:57 pm

Well deserved point. Good performances from the players and tactics spot on from the manager. Hopefully we can kick on from here.
AlMac
Seaside Leagues

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:02 pm

H9crx wrote:Well done to the team tonight!

Canning got the subs correct!

Vital point and a goal at home!

Fair play to you......spot on.

Well deserved point.....looks like you are even warming to MC.......

That's a post of an Accies fan, not the mega negative guy of the last year.....
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Next

Return to Match Day Archives