Accies v Partic Thistle

Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies v Partic Thistle

Postby H9crx » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:43 pm

Think we will get points at this one but don't knwo if it will be 1 or 3.

I would like to see Canzo and Tena at the back and Neil in the midfeild as I think teams now know that a busy phisical midfield stops us creating.

Would like to see Jasion and Mac up top if not we need players who will get us goals to come on as subs. Jason and Brophy not Chucky.

C mon accies back to racking up the points.
H9crx
Premiership

Re: Accies v Partic Thistle

Postby Accies999 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:51 am

Time to get back on track lads, forget the last 2 and let's get back to winning ways. The incentive, we're still top of the league, who would have thought it?
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Alexander the Great » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:40 pm

think its important we pick up something tomorrow or after 3 defeats on the trot were on a slump and it could see all our good work go into free fall, sure it wont c'mon accies keep us smiling :D
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Bluesy » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:32 pm

would like to see the same team (mcgovern, ziggy, tenna, devlin, hendrie, imrie, crawford, gillespie, andreu, redmond, MAC) that did the damage earlier.

Are they all fit and available?
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:09 pm

This is a game we should have won 3- 0 or 3 - 1. At 2 - 0 up we let them back into the game and then defensive lapses allowed them to go 3 up. At least we kept going and got something at the end but I’m really quite angry that we lost. Not sure why we took redmond and tena off because that upset the balance of the team in my opinion. interested to here what others think?
Alfie Olek

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Tena was injured/or unwell as he has been and Redmond faded badly as he always does and for me his undoubted skill and ability is struggling to come thro against the rigours of this league.

A draw was juts about right for me; they were the best team until we scored twice and then it was equal until they scored twice. After that we didn't really push them back enough - a bit like the Dundee game we didn't seem to have a response until Tony popped up with a cracker.

So the bubble is bursting but we are still competing and we are good to watch; the areas of concern for me are 1) poor set pieces 2) teams setting out to match our normal game 3) discipline 4) left back - Gills in there is a bit of a joke again.5 ) left midfield

But still scoring goals, entertaining, 100% commitment and up the top of the table.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Colombian Boffin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Is it just me or do we look more solid at the back with Tena and Devlin? I know it's a tough one but...
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Is it just me or do we look more solid at the back with Tena and Devlin? I know it's a tough one but...

We have now lost 6 goals in 3 games. Against Dundee it was our ‘settled’ defence minus canning of gordon, tena, devlin and hendrie. Alex opted to make changes for the cup game partly enforced through tena’s illness and presumably to accommodate Canning. He kept his position today and Tena came back but we lost 3. This is almost a repeat of last season where we had the best defence in the league until half way through? and then seemed to lose it . I’m inclined to revert to gordon, tena, devlin and hendrie allowing gills to play in front of them where he is best suited.
Alfie Olek

Postby really? » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:00 pm

I don't know who will be happier / unhappier - us or Thistle fans?

Teams are matching us now with aggression and a physical approach that's stopping us playing our passing game, which is a compliment really.

PT were very physical IMO and I'm surprised they didn't get more bookings - no17 should have been red carded. Curier fouled every time the ball came near him.

Devlin needs to start with Jesus if possible - Canning's not at the races. Hendry also way better than Gillespie, who was shocking today. Crawford also very poor.

But we showed great character coming back from losing 2 goal lead - we could and should have won the game by half time but I'll take 3-3 and an amazing game.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby The Cisco Kid » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:01 pm

Thought we were extremely poor today and I couldn't believe we were 2-0 up when
we had hardly kicked a ball.
Our defence were shocking apart from Tena and when he went off I feared the worst.
After they equalised I was sure they would go on to win the match and only individual
brilliance from 22 saved our bacon.
I thought Thistle were a good side and far better than Dundee last week.
As disappointed with the performance as I was that point gained might be very
Pivotal in months to come.
We need to be better next week at inverness.
The Cisco Kid
Pub League

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:12 pm

really? wrote:I don't know who will be happier / unhappier - us or Thistle fans?

Teams are matching us now with aggression and a physical approach that's stopping us playing our passing game, which is a compliment really.

PT were very physical IMO and I'm surprised they didn't get more bookings - no17 should have been red carded. Curier fouled every time the ball came near him.

Devlin needs to start with Jesus if possible - Canning's not at the races. Hendry also way better than Gillespie, who was shocking today. Crawford also very poor.

But we showed great character coming back from losing 2 goal lead - we could and should have won the game by half time but I'll take 3-3 and an amazing game.
really? wrote:I don't know who will be happier / unhappier - us or Thistle fans?

Exactly this. Almost word for word what I was saying to my dad on the way back up the lane. Canning is nowhere near it at the moment, and we all know Gills at left back is a disaster, he's doing his best playing where he's told but gets drawn into the middle far too often, no coincidence we lost two goals from their right
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby porcupine » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:23 pm

AS said we were poor defensively but really only AFTER Tena was taken off. Why? Was he still carrying an injury and could no last longer? We fell apart after that.
Midfield was poor also with Ali anonymous for most of the game. Only near the end did he show his desire to win the ball with some aggression. MAC had very little service from the midfield but worked tirelessly. Danny Redmond won a surprising amount of headers given his height, and showed some good touches until he tired. 22 had a quiet game by his usual standards, but again did chase every ball in the closing stages.

As said previously, Thistles 17 fouled consistently throughout the game and should have been yellow carded an hour before he finally was booked. Then the referee bottled yet another cynical foul by him which would certainly have made a difference in our favour in the last 15/20 minutes.

The team kept going however and MAC's pass (I think) to Tony was perfect, but Tony's finish (swiveling 180o and shooting all in one movement with SEVEN seconds to go to the end of the four minute), was totally sublime.

Thistle are a tall and very physical team, with precious little footballing skill, and seemed to be prepared to chop opponents down at any time in the game. Yes, we squandered our two goal lead, but it was clear from the reaction in the home dug-out below me at the end, that everyone, used and unused subs alike, as well as the backroom staff, were all still very much together as a unit. It will be difficult, but not impossible, to go to Inverness, and come back with anything. Another point would suit me at this stage.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Birf » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:32 am

It may be better for the morale of our lads to have grabbed a point at the death. Some great football for the goals and some very sloppy defending for their goals, particularly the first one, letting a hit and hope cross go like that. From 2-0 you should never be chasing a game but that's football eh? It's inevitable that there would be some sort of "dip," but look at the table. It's a healthy picture :D
Birf
Pub League

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:46 am

A draw that most certainly should have been a win after going two up but to be honest probably our worst performance of the season. I thought we played well for five minutes in the first half and that was it. All three of our goals were great, the first two great team goals and Tony's a great individual effort.

Once Jesus went off we really fell away at the back and although at the time I found it a strange decision, Alex has explained and it makes sense. Big decision for him next week, personally I think I'd go with Jesus and devlin.

What I find concerning is the goals we're conceding now. We went so long without conceding its a bit worrying to concede as many and stupid goals too. Every one yesterday I feel was avoidable. Need to see the highlights to confirm but I think it was defensive mistakes which lead to all three conceded.

Forget about the performance and move on and go again next week.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:15 pm

I must admit I think the loss of Jesus is being over played; throughout almost all of the game Thistle were beating us to balls and winning battles.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby really? » Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:24 pm

One thing I noticed yesterday was the number of times PT players kicked the ball away following the award of a free kick against them - they did it consistently from the off - yet no player in Scotland ever seems to get booked for this offence any more. Saw (Swansea?) player booked for it in English Premiership yesterday and I wondered - are the rules different now up here?

They were complaining about the 4mins IT but I suppose it was their own fault, booting the ball away at every opportunity.

Remember Ofiong got 2nd yellow for this a few seasons ago against Aberdeen.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:52 pm

I really enjoyed the game.

I agree with the gaffer that there wasn't a lot of quality on show, but we still created far more chances than them (see BBC stats for evidence) and scored three great goals. There was plenty of excitement, and in the end a draw was probably a fair result.

I've seen us cone from 0-2 to win 3-2 against Motherwell, Airdire and Clyde over the years, but I've never seen us lose 3-2 after leading 2-0. I thought my run was going to end yesterday, but a stunning strike by Andreu stopped that, and was a great finish to the game.

We have to expect inconsistency with our young squad, and we can't rise in every game to the high levels we've set. Our squad has more depth than many people think, but we're short at the back, with just three recognised centre backs and one left back. We remain on-course for what many agree us our new target of a top six finish, and for now look more likely to accomplish that than yesterday's opponents.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Accies4ever » Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Agree with most that's already been said.

Canning was poor yesterday, but he's still a good player.
Maybe he just needs a bit more time to get back to full effect.
Perhaps a run out in the U-20s would do him good.

Another point is that you can't lay all the blame on the defence.
We defend, as a team, from the front.
I thought as a midfield yesterday we were poor and didn't complete.
That buts pressure on the defence that we haven't fully had up until now.

This is a time for cool heads and that's why I thing Sir Alex should come back into the team, especially with Gills suspended for next game.

Another point is how valuable a player Andreu is to us. He really is a class act.

Final point is we need other options apart from Curier up top. I know we have Scotland and Brophy, etc, but we need to get in a proven, experienced goalscorer (one that suits one up top) in the January window. Scotland for me is done as far as his age, not his ability.

For now I would go with:
McGovern
Ziggy-Devlin-Tena-Hendrie
Neil (with Routledge or Daz replacing him when he tires)
Imrie-Crawford-Andreu-Redmond
Curier.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Whiskeytown » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:05 pm

This is a time for cool heads and that's why I thing Sir Alex should come back into the team, especially with Gills suspended for next game.

For all his undoubted qualities, I don't think having a cool head is one of them. He's booked in virtually every game he plays, and sometimes even when not playing (Parkhead) and of course there was Dumbarton!

As for losing when 2-0 up, it's definitely happened. I'm thinking Clydebank away in the 90s but I can't be more precise.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Accies4ever » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:22 pm

Maybe in retrospect the term cool heads was not the best for me to use.

Granted Neil has his own baggage when he plays.

Perhaps the word Experienced is more apt.

My point still stands.

Effectively we need a defensive midfielder that knows the ropes when the pressure's on.

Who better than Neil to fit that bill.
Accies4ever
Championship

Next

Return to Match Day Archives