Well v Accies

Old match day threads will be moved here

Well v Accies

Postby Alfie Olek » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:21 pm

By all accounts Motherwell played really well against St Johnstone last night and now appear to have found form under mcghee. This will be a big ask of our players and as with Inverness I would settle for a draw. Defensively we are there for the taking and I don’t know what martin can do to shore up the defence in 3 days. We tried Sendles White and I thought we might have found part of the answer but no. I love Lucas’s attitude but he is just not good enough at this level and tena can be inconsistent. We can only hope that going forward we put pressure on the Well taking pressure of us. Up front martin has interesting choices to make. Do we start with the team that finished and looked really up for it or do we revert to Longridge etc. Now down to 10th,the only thing saving us at the moment is Dundee United and Kilmarnock’s continued losing streaks. I can’t see United remaining so cooperative. Happy New year when it comes :(
Alfie Olek

Re: Well v Accies

Postby H9crx » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:42 pm

Canning needs to play him self and led Bozey take control on the touch line.

4411 try and keep it tight at the back

Brophy playing of Carlton
H9crx
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:51 pm

Yesterday was very poor and 3 goals and a narrow defeat shouldn't mask that. If we could get Ali, Gills, Imrie and Kurtaj back on form the set up wouldn't matter. When MC has went 2 up it has meant still playing with only 3 in midfield with Gills holding and this has left us vulnerable down the flanks.

Longridge has had his chance and Gregg D should get his - Kurakins will undoubtedly play despite of, and not due to, his anonymous performances. Hopefully Ziggy's goal gives him a boost as he has also been poor for weeks.

Gaun the Accies.

PS supporting a winning and/or successful team is the easiest thing in the world; paying to see a struggling one requires a little bit more.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:29 pm

Not looking forward to this. I think he's got to go with the trifecta of Morris, Imrie and Nade/Brophy again as we actually looked alright up front then. It will leave our midfield fairly short on numbers if we play Crawford as he always goes behind the striker which leaves us with 2 in midfield (thinking about it we have a similar centre of the park now) and leaves the full-backs exposed but I can't say they get much protection as it is. Kurakins will play as we have nothing else at LB and I agree that our centre-back pairing is very faulty. Lucas used to be fairly solid at home but very shaky away but his away performances seem to be creeping into his home form. Hopefully we can forget all about 2015 quickly and 2016 can change things up.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby monkeybones » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:29 pm

4 0 scudding and a man sent off

Thanks for the efforts Martin but new manager required. Job not for you I'm afraid
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby Gaspode » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:58 pm

H9crx wrote:Canning needs to play him self and led Bozey take control on the touch line.

Quite obvious you don't actually go to the games to support "your" team if you think playing Canning is an option.
Gaspode
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:03 pm

H9crx wrote:Canning needs to play him self and led Bozey take control on the touch line.

Oh we are back to Boozy takes the credit and canning takes the blame nonsense. Presumably Boozy thought Turner would be great in the premier :roll: :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:37 pm

Or our central defenders have been a bomb scare of late and we need a change and he is the only available centre half and we could do with him on the park!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:02 pm

Another big game where 3 points might just be enough to get us back in the top 6 other results depending - off topic but rookie manager getting the team with the smallest budget into the top 6 for the first time in their history despite losing the core of their team (Andreu, Neil, Hendrie & Curier) and playing half the season without their best defender (Devlin) and last year's marquee signing (Redmond) would surely make Canning a shoo in for manager of the season?

Anyway back to tomorrow's derby where on recent results and performances a Motherwell win is likely and where Canning in his short managerial career needs to turn things around for a second time.

With a shaky defence and our most influential players in Gillespie and Crawford struggling for form I'd be tempted to make a couple of bold changes. I don't see either Canning himself or Sendles White being solutions so I'd go for switching Ziggy G to centre half where I don't recall him having a poor game when played there and bring Gillespie to right back. Despite his consistent poor positioning I'd go for Tena as the other centre half as he's slightly more mobile and does use the ball very well from defence.

In midfield the balance has felt wrong recently with Crawford playing too advanced a role meaning he is starved of the ball meaning we are relying on McKinnon & Gillespie to create openings which is something both struggle with. Time to play Crawford next to McKinnon and ask him to get on the ball as much as he can and pull the strings. Redmond to play in front of these 2 in a free role.

Up front, I'd go with Imrie, Morris and depending on fitness / availability either the new German winger or young Boyd who appears to be a standout in the U20s and surely deserves a chance ahead of Longridge (incidentally I don't get the junior player jibes he get's regularly on this forum and although I think the SPL is probably a level above his ability I think too many are too quick to forget the huge impact he had in our promotion season).
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Whiskeytown » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:13 pm

I also think the junior jibes are a bit much. Louis would be a standout player in League 1 and was decent enough in the Championship. He played quite well against Killie and, although he cocked it up, it was a great run into space for Imrie to pick him out for that chance. I'd rather he didn't start tomorrow but I don't have a problem with him being on the bench. I'd just rather Canning explored every other possibility before using him!

Wasn't sure about going tomorrow but I suppose I'd better show up and suffer with everyone else. Maybe we can pull something out of the bag when it's least expected. I'll go for an unlikely 2-2 draw.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:32 am

H9crx wrote:Or our central defenders have been a bomb scare of late and we need a change and he is the only available centre half and we could do with him on the park!

Is this a conclusion of careful watching over a number of games ................. or 2 minutes on You Tube every week ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:08 pm

McGovern
Gills Ziggy Lucas Kurakins
Imrie MacKinnon Crawford Docherty
Morris Brophy
Happy with that!
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Accies 4 Ever » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Jesus injured?
Accies 4 Ever
Pub League

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:28 pm

With a shaky defence and our most influential players in Gillespie and Crawford struggling for form I'd be tempted to make a couple of bold changes. I don't see either Canning himself or Sendles White being solutions so I'd go for switching Ziggy G to centre half where I don't recall him having a poor game when played there and bring Gillespie to right back.

Well Yummy fur i think you should help choose the team every week :P although he went for Lucas as opposed to tena. Anyway good to see a victory at last, perhaps not a 3 point one but a moral victory never the less. When they scored their first though I feared the worst as we were posted missing at the back but no we dig in and score 2. Back come Motherwell in quick succession and u think here we go again but no we keep plugging away and get a well deserved penalty and Lasly deservedly sent off. He should have got his marching orders with a second yellow on at least 2 other occasions. I really think our focus has to be on defence in the transfer market. If we can get that right I think the goals will come from a variety of sources. Other results largely went our way as well. Hope big Lucas is alright, seemed to be his back this time rather than his neck but the physio called for the stretcher right away.
Alfie Olek

Postby accies1874 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:32 pm

From Motherwell scoring their first to half time it was the best I've seen us play in a while. Brilliant goal from MacKinnon and running at them gave them real problems. The second half seemed like Canning told them to be second to every ball and not play any creative football. I couldn't see what happened with the 2nd goal but it seemed like a defensive calamity and the third is Kurakins' fault. We looked better when D'Acol came and created a couple of half chances but still didn't look like putting the ball in the back of the net. I honestly couldn't see the hand ball incident but was happy it came. We've stopped a run of 4 defeats but still only got 1 point from 15 which isn't good enough.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:50 pm

I don't think the draw hides that 2 up left us well short in midfield particularly down the flanks. It seemed a bit desperate to change the whole teams set up and play folk put of position. Brophy and Ali were best with Dougie also more than decent.
Ziggy is not a centre half and 2 shocking headers led to goals likewise Gills is not a defender and Dan isn't a holding midfielder Kurakins isn't a footballer. All of these things we knew before the game but MC took a huge risk that I hope we don't see again.
Outstanding goal from David and Docherty had us all wondering how Longridge played recently.

The recent Burst Baw podcast has an interview with Mark Wotte and he explains the problems 442 gives you as opposed to 433 or 451
Last edited by redandwhite1874 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby H9crx » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Yes bomb scare of a defence, better system played, would give Dalco the nod over Morris as we still need a striker which Goals.

How much longer can we stick Canning?
H9crx
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:44 pm

I had forgotten how Motherwell comtinually fouled, puched players in the back, and were constantly in the referee's face for every decision that went against them. How not just Lasly, but many of the others, escaped more than one yellow card, for as long as they did, beggars belief. His final red card was long overdue.

As said ny other posters, we DO need to start from our defence which is still very porous, if there is any money around for new signings. Big Lucas is immense, but without hims we would be leaking far more goals. Trust he is OK after being stretchered off with what appears to be a back problem, with the Well goalie falling on top of him after a puch out.

We did show fighting spirit to the end, and a point was probab;y the best we could have hoped for after the ICT game.

:o :shock: Warning to all. Go nowhere near the Gents Toilets on the ground floor of that stand. The smell, from urinals that have never seen a cleaner or bleach for years, is only now clearing from my nostrils two hours after the final whistle. Health & Safety Police please note :oops:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:00 pm

Well, that was a real roller coaster.

Poor start, great 25 minutes then didn't defend at all for goals 2 and 3.

Can someone explain to me the system we attempted to play today?? Who was in front of Gillespie?? It seemed very skewed.....was Crawford meant to be out there?? Morris?? I didn't think we had anyone playing RM......

Brophy worked hard, Kurakins continually got nailed down his side as did Gillespie, the latter I have sympathy with and Gordon isn't a CB......his poorly timed headers cost us possession in vital areas and we got punished.

Plus points were MacKinnon who seems to have knuckled down and has been fairly good over last few matches. Docherty, I thought he worked tirelessly in the middle of the park. I'm liking the look of D'Acol, but he needs more game time to get up to speed.

All in all an enjoyable match, eventually :D
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:59 am

A draw that in the end feels like a win. Stops the rut of 4 straight defeats but still doesn't disguise the fact we've now went eleven games without a win. Thought we were lucky though. Motherwell in my opinion totally dominated the second half, we barely got near their box. I thought daz had his best game in a while topped off with a great individual goal and cleared one off the line just 5 mins before half time. Was impressed again with Greg docherty and eamonn brophy done well with little service and deserves to start next well agains annan.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Next

Return to Match Day Archives