Old match day threads will be moved here

Accies .V. Motherwell - MATCH THREAD

Postby Admin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:25 am

Your comments please...
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Accies .V. Motherwell - MATCH THREAD

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Big game, hope there is no tired legs from Tuesday.

Looks like Morris and The Dazzler will be injured so I would go with;

McGovern
Ziggy Lucas Jesus Kurtkins
Docherty Gillespie
Imrie Ali Kurtaj
Nade

Hopefully the new boy Alex gets more game time.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Whiskeytown » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:41 pm

Looking for omens? Match is on Alba on Saturday. Our two meetings with Well last season that were shown on Alba were the 4-0 & 5-0 thumpings. I'll take a sneaky one goal win, as long as we beat them.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby glasgow accie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:34 am

c'mon Accies

lets get right into them from the start and show them that we are the better team and that WE are the Pride of Lanarkshire !!

FTW
When Saturday comes...WE ARE HAMILTON........136
glasgow accie
Championship

Postby Euan » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:06 am

Been looking forward to this one, hopefully another heavy defeat of our neighbours.
Euan
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:05 am

Biggest risk is perhaps the couple of fast players Well have - if they get behind us the way St J did then it could be a struggle.

Hopefully Kurtaj can find his shooting boots as he is finding chances in each game and Kurakins needs to improve on recent performances I have seen.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Hooper » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:43 am

As has already been said if we can stop there pacey wide men I fancy us today
Hooper
Seaside Leagues

Postby accies1874 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:15 pm

Jesus, MacKinnon and Nade out for Lyon, Docherty and Morris.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Magic result - heart in mouth near the end.

Gills was fantastic
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby ggr » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:51 pm

Grant Gillespie - Man of the match.
Close the poll now.
ggr
Pub League

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:54 pm

Jesus was out because he got stuck in traffic on the M8 and didn’t arrive at the ground before the team lines were handed in. 00Ps. Anyway perhaps the final score didn’t reflect our chances but too many sloppy passes from the Accies maybe contributed to the narrow score. Thought Dougie was one of the culprits but he made amends with a well taken goal. Got lucky at the end because I thought big Lucas deliberately stopped the ball with his right arm. Will need to see it again. Nade when he came on, showed some real nice touches especially at the end when he took the ball into the corner and held off 2 Well players. Not a classic but a welcome 3 points.
Alfie Olek

Postby Whiskeytown » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:37 pm

A really nervy game, not a great display but after hearing about Tena, a big well done to everyone and young Darren Lyon did pretty well being thrown in like that. But bringing on Jesus was absolutely correct as Johnson was looking favourite every time against Darren. Second half was much better in terms of us actually looking dangerous. Some fine moves but often we were over elaborate especially Kurtaj, who is clearly a player but I can see he is going to be a frustrating one. For all that we weren't great, there were some top performances - Ziggy, Lucas, Docherty, but MOTM again for me was Grant Gillespie. He's really blossomed into a stand out performer. Nice to be ten off the bottom at such an early stage.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:58 pm

Alfie Olek wrote:Got lucky at the end because I thought big Lucas deliberately stopped the ball with his right arm.

Although he didn't try to move his arm out the way, he didn't raise it either. As you say will be interesting to see the replay. I think the fact the ball was so close to him when it was hit maybe swayed the referees decision, but I've seen them given.
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:00 pm

A hard fought, disciplined performance - we played the best football but they looked more up for it at times and were happy to mix it whenever they could.

Lasley had put money on himself as the first player to be booked; but Craig Thomson heard about this and tried to loose him the money - but the ref had to call it a day at foul number 13 ! Of course Gregg gets booked for his second foul.

Not a classic but if you compare the budgets of the playing squads you have go to be happy - guys like Gregg and Darren looked more than comfortable up against guys that Well will be paying well. Darren had the full 90 on Tuesday in the holding role (and played really well) and fitted in fine at right back today. Gregg took some time to settle without looking overawed but really looked decent as the game opened up.

We are a decent hard working team who look comfortable at this level and I think we can improve under MC.

Gillespie was the best player on the park by a mile.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby NaeVay » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Motherwell were shite but didn't think we weren't a lot better today. Gills and Dougie had a great game. Kurtaj needs to sharpen up, learn to turn quicker with the ball and be a bit more instinctive rather than taking an age to think about his next move. A few howlers from Ali today too.

They did well however to cope with a last minute lineup change. We looked a lot better in the last half an hour but overall relieved to get the 3 points.
NaeVay
Seaside Leagues

Postby Colombian Boffin » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:34 pm

Whiskeytown wrote:A really nervy game, not a great display but after hearing about Tena, a big well done to everyone and young Darren Lyon did pretty well being thrown in like that. But bringing on Jesus was absolutely correct as Johnson was looking favourite every time against Darren. Second half was much better in terms of us actually looking dangerous. Some fine moves but often we were over elaborate especially Kurtaj, who is clearly a player but I can see he is going to be a frustrating one. For all that we weren't great, there were some top performances - Ziggy, Lucas, Docherty, but MOTM again for me was Grant Gillespie. He's really blossomed into a stand out performer. Nice to be ten off the bottom at such an early stage.

Totally agree. A great result after two defeats and although next week will not be easy, I hope we can get something from that game too.
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Whiskeytown » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Greg's booking wasn't for a foul, r&w1874, it was for not retreating when they had a free kick. He gave Lasley the chance to hammer the ball off him and get him booked. As Gillespie did the same thing last week at Perth (in the second minute!), it should be emphasised by the manager not to do this, we pick up enough bookings as it is. Minor gripe.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:53 pm

I missed this today, due to a family decision to spend what might be the last Saturday of the summer at Edinburgh Zoo. Which means I understand about the M8 traffic - Jesus himself couldn't have got through any quicker. ;)

Fantastic result, and how good does our home form look? Partick must be delighted in hindsight to have escaped with a nil-nil.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:55 am

Poor game but a great result. Thought at half time that there was only going to be one goal in the game, delighted it was for us.

I never seen the alba highlights. Was our first half goal correctly ruled out? Or was it the goalkeeper getting protection from the ref? Wee Ali had a bit of an off day but his chip that landed on the roof of the net could have been a goal of the season contender. I thought Lyon had a good game considering it's his first start this season and to come into a derby game at the last minute.
Doherty again impressed and looks like he's going to be a real talent. Seems a good guy off the park with a good attitude too.
I felt we lacked mackinnons dig in the middle of the park, with lasley bullying his way through the first half before being booked for his seventh or eighth foul. I'm sure darian would have let him know he was in a game with a bit more fight.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:05 pm

Red and white hoops wrote:Poor game but a great result. Thought at half time that there was only going to be one goal in the game, delighted it was for us.

I never seen the alba highlights. Was our first half goal correctly ruled out? Or was it the goalkeeper getting protection from the ref? Wee Ali had a bit of an off day but his chip that landed on the roof of the net could have been a goal of the season contender. I thought Lyon had a good game considering it's his first start this season and to come into a derby game at the last minute.
Doherty again impressed and looks like he's going to be a real talent. Seems a good guy off the park with a good attitude too.
I felt we lacked mackinnons dig in the middle of the park, with lasley bullying his way through the first half before being booked for his seventh or eighth foul. I'm sure darian would have let him know he was in a game with a bit more fight.

Alba wasn't that clear on the 'goal' but it looked the keeper came off his line and missed the ball, but keepers usually get that kind of protection; although possibly more so when on their line and being 'attacked' as opposed to them coming out into their box as in this occasion. Ali rattled the cross bar in the first half whilst Gills did the chip in the second.

Would anyone swap Gills or Docherty for the Man United u20s midfielder Grimshaw?

I am a big fan of Daz, but he would certainly have been drawn into a fight yesterday - he could learn from the way we keep our discipline without letting them dominate.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Next

Return to Match Day Archives