Celtic v Accies Sun 5 October

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Celtic v Accies Sun 5 October

Postby simonswimmer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Incredible stuff. Best part is that the result wasn't that surprising. It wasn't a fluke.

What a team.
simonswimmer
Pub League

Postby JMcGrogan'sotherleg » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Was more confident of getting some kind of result than ever before going into a game against one of the OF. At times in the 2nd half we passed them off the park; even Celtic fans were saying that on the way out.
Dare we dream about Europe?! Only regret was not getting to the bookies beforehand - heard we were 11-1 for a win some places. Also fancied Ali to score...but did win £80 last week with #22 netting first.
Great time to be an Accies fan. Can't wait to go into work tomorrow.
JMcGrogan'sotherleg
Pub League

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:16 pm

Its only 18 months since someone described the Accies players as 'legends' after a home cup defeat to Falkirk - not sure what they would be described as now ? :lol:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:23 pm

Incredible times to be an Accies fan. I didn't think easter road could be topped but today was extremely close. Just bloody fantastic. And fully deserved in my opinion. Top of the league for at least a fortnight and I just don't see where (or if!!) our next defeat will come from. After today we have absolutely nobody to fear.

Also never thought I'd be able to sing "top of the league and your no"'at celtic park
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Alfie Olek » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Caught the last 5 minutes of the game on BBC Scotland AM as I travelled through Dumfries. Reception dreadful but just got the jist of it and Chick Young’s interview with Alec. Can’t we cancel the international weekend and play aberdeen this week :) At least the break will allow all the players to rest and recuperate. Under 20’s on tuesday for my accies fix this week.
Alfie Olek

Postby Euan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Great atmosphere in our end, well done to the singers, I joined in quite a lot myself.
I too was confident of a result before kick off, but the performance was the real pleasure.
We deserved to win and it wasn't a surprise.
I never thought I'd experience Accies beating Celtic at Parkhead, to go top of the SPL (for most of October, thanks to the break :D )

Was booked in for a gym class at 4pm, wore my Accies top and stood down the front, much to the anguish of my pal James, the Celtic supporting instructor.
Euan
Premiership

Postby redontheinside » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Fantastic result! :D

Best season in my lifetime, so far, and haven't been around to see any of it (or the promotion push, for that matter)!
redontheinside
Pub League

Postby L12Comical » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Absolutely outstanding. Just when we thought things couldn't get any better!
For those of us old enough to remember Old Douglas Park, Firhill and Cliftonhill, this year has been truly incredible.
The question now is - how far can this team go? Realistic to think in terms of a Cup win or a European place.
No reason why not.
L12Comical
Pub League

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:31 pm

Particularly happy for Mikey D and Stephen H - they have had dips in form but have battled thro.

PS bet a few folk are happy the old Accies world site has gone or some folk's comments about Ali could be getting rammed right back at them :lol: some of mine about Gillespie and JGT could prove to be total rubbish as well :oops: :lol:

Dazza, Canning, Routledge, Neil and Scotland have not featured in some of the recent great results, which shows a wee bit of depth.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Beastie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:22 pm

Beastie wrote:I don't think it'll be either season defining or bubble bursting tbh. Celtic start the game as huge odds on favourites (2/7) as they have a bigger and better squad than us. We're on the crest of a wave at the moment and Celtic have shown themselves to be pretty fragile this season, but as long as we don't get an absolute doing I won't be too troubled by the result. A point would be very welcome, 3 points would be a dream come true, but we've managed to pick up points against the teams it's important to beat this season and that's the most important thing.
Still getting excited about it though! ;)

So it's a dream come true right enough! This season is the season of all seasons and this year is the year of all years to be an Accies fan. I'm going to need surgery to remove this stupid smile from my face. Never been prouder to be an Accies fan!!
Beastie
Pub League

Postby Accies999 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Thought I was being a bit greedy asking for a result today but no the lads done us all proud. Fantastic and thoroughly deserved win. If this result doesn't bring a few more fans to our next game, I'll be surprised. Keep it going Accies
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Colombian Boffin » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:48 pm

This team is just incredible, and I think Alex has to take enormous credit for it. Best manager of Accies in my lifetime for sure. Hope we can keep him for a few seasons, but if we go on like this, that will be difficult.

Enjoying a wee malt in front of Sportscene. Well done Alex Neil and this fantastic group of players!
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Alexander the Great » Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:39 pm

that has to be the best result the club has had since the 31st of January 1987 and this is a better team than then, win at parkhead and the sky's the limit :D a want a cup final this season and a adventure into Europe next season, mon the accies !
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby southoftheborder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:09 am

There are no limits now!
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby H9crx » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:29 am

I have the feer that fucken Dundee will beat us! Would Mel me sick! I want to give them a good going over!
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Jacobsladder » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:56 am

I wonder what the atmosphere in the Celtic pubs in hamilton was like last night hee hee
Jacobsladder
Pub League

Postby really? » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:46 am

Was always confident we could get a result at Celtic Park - since Easter Road our confidence has been sky high.

There will be setbacks as the season goes on (like ICT on 1st day) but if we play the way we've been playing then top-six should be within our reach and possibly even more.

Laughed when guy on radio said we'd suffer when injuries and suspensions kicked in - defensive stalwart and captain Canzo injured, midfield enforcer Daz suspended, not to mention Routledge also out, plus neither Alex nor Jason played.

Great crowd also - Ronnie said 750-800, Daily Record said 1,000.

Enjoying every minute.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby Whiskeytown » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:21 pm

I wasn't there but I had a feeling all week that we would win. Couldn't bring myself to listen to any of it as I thought as soon as I did that Celtic would likely score. So a tortuous afternoon glancing at Accies twitter. Amazing that two of the very best ever away days came back to back and I am consoled by being present at one of them at least.

A few random observations. Wasn't Sportscene dreadful? Only showed about 4 mins of action including replays. Recorded the Sky SPL Round Up and it was much better, showing Louis's bad decision to shoot instead of playing in Tony for a certain goal. Also showed a couple of Celtic chances that BBC didn't. Also noted at least three Accies fans celebrating directly behind Craig Gordon's goal. Saw a pic on twitter of our support and while it looked like our biggest ever at Parkhead I would have said it was about 450, maybe 500 at a push but club saying about 650 and media going a bit mental and saying 800-1000.

Ziggy should have a £2m price tag on his head. Seriously. Maybe settle for £1.5m for wee Ali. These players must not be sold on the cheap, not that I think the club would do that. I think they should both be in the Scotland squad, mind you Ali is no Calum McGregor! :roll: Great to see Mikey Devlin and Stephen Hendrie attract some praise after a difficult time for them both, while no one seems to bat an eyelid now at Grant Gillespie being a standout in every game.

For some reason I have a feeling the next game will be a draw, which will be ok, but if we win it then it's Dundee then it's Partick. If Celtic slip up again we could be even further ahead of them. Maybe we will need to re-appraise our expectations for the season if that happens.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby accies1502 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:11 am

[color=#000000][/color]
Whiskeytown wrote:I wasn't there but I had a feeling all week that we would win. Couldn't bring myself to listen to any of it as I thought as soon as I did that Celtic would likely score. So a tortuous afternoon glancing at Accies twitter. Amazing that two of the very best ever away days came back to back and I am consoled by being present at one of them at least.

A few random observations. Wasn't Sportscene dreadful? Only showed about 4 mins of action including replays. Recorded the Sky SPL Round Up and it was much better, showing Louis's bad decision to shoot instead of playing in Tony for a certain goal. Also showed a couple of Celtic chances that BBC didn't. Also noted at least three Accies fans celebrating directly behind Craig Gordon's goal. Saw a pic on twitter of our support and while it looked like our biggest ever at Parkhead I would have said it was about 450, maybe 500 at a push but club saying about 650 and media going a bit mental and saying 800-1000.

Ziggy should have a £2m price tag on his head. Seriously. Maybe settle for £1.5m for wee Ali. These players must not be sold on the cheap, not that I think the club would do that. I think they should both be in the Scotland squad, mind you Ali is no Calum McGregor! :roll: Great to see Mikey Devlin and Stephen Hendrie attract some praise after a difficult time for them both, while no one seems to bat an eyelid now at Grant Gillespie being a standout in every game.

For some reason I have a feeling the next game will be a draw, which will be ok, but if we win it then it's Dundee then it's Partick. If Celtic slip up again we could be even further ahead of them. Maybe we will need to re-appraise our expectations for the season if that happens.

Ali in the Scotland squad.......think the success has got to your head!!
accies1502
Pub League

Postby NewDouglasPark » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:32 am

So happy yet gutted at the same time that I missed this game due to the ridiculous decision to bring it forward to 1pm, even although there were 10,000 of us doing the Great Scottish Run then!!

Anyway, I wore my Accies top with pride during the race, got a PB, then got home to listen to that incredible result on the radio. I don't think there will ever be a better time to be an Accies fan....we should milk every glorious moment!!

Just sobering up now.....best day ever!!
NewDouglasPark
Pub League

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Archives