Celtic v Accies Sun 5 October

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Celtic v Accies Sun 5 October

Postby Whiskeytown » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:02 am

accies1502 - So you agree that Ziggy should be in the squad? :)

Don't see why it's so daft, he is the form player in the Premier and the top scorer and he's a midfielder! Calum McGregor got in by way of a couple of good games for Celtic. Far worse players than Ali have been capped.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Birf » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:33 pm

It might get even better! European battles for next year?
Birf
Pub League

Postby accies1502 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:49 am

Whiskeytown wrote:accies1502 - So you agree that Ziggy should be in the squad? :)

Don't see why it's so daft, he is the form player in the Premier and the top scorer and he's a midfielder! Calum McGregor got in by way of a couple of good games for Celtic. Far worse players than Ali have been capped.

Ok....name a worst player in the current squad??
accies1502
Pub League

Postby Whiskeytown » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:42 am

Didn't mean the current squad but as you're asking, Ryan Gauld isn't playing first team football and fell away badly last season for Dundee Utd, yet he's in. Normally I'd be chuffed to see an 18 year old in squad but I'm not sure he has earned it. Has Ali not? I don't think we now need to build up Scotland players as being from a different level to Accies payers, not any more. For example, I don't think James McArthur is head and shoulders above our midfield, Accies legend that he is.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby accies1502 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:16 pm

Whiskeytown wrote:Didn't mean the current squad but as you're asking, Ryan Gauld isn't playing first team football and fell away badly last season for Dundee Utd, yet he's in. Normally I'd be chuffed to see an 18 year old in squad but I'm not sure he has earned it. Has Ali not? I don't think we now need to build up Scotland players as being from a different level to Accies payers, not any more. For example, I don't think James McArthur is head and shoulders above our midfield, Accies legend that he is.

No of course Ali has not, he was absolute murder last season and has only came good the last 4 or 5 games.....lets see if he can keep up his form before crazy suggestions like playing for Scotland.
accies1502
Pub League

Postby Whiskeytown » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:11 am

"absolute murder", dear oh dear.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Don van Vliet » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:06 pm

We need to clear up this stuff about Ali Crawford. I've seen him play 3 times - at NDP against Livi last October (2-0 home win), the first play-off game against Hibs on tele, the extended highlights of the Motherwell game on Alba, plus the other highlights this season. On each occasion I thought he stands out as a talented player. I know he became a pet hate for some fans because he allegedly pulled out of an alleged leg-breaker, but I have seen nothing to deserve that. This season, he has been outstanding. Vision, swift of foot, speed of thought.

I think the most important thing is that Alex Neil clearly knew a good thing when he saw it, and it doesn't say much for the judgement of those who liked to abuse Ali - they couldn't see the talent in front of their eyes. I wonder if the same is true of GG. In those same matches, I was impressed by him, especially the 0-2 loss to Hibs. I ended up thinking, is this the same player as people are continually slagging off?

It may be that both players have grown and matured considerably (it would be odd if they hadn't). Also, maybe they were too good for the second tier and now are able to shine properly in the more refined atmosphere.

Finally, as for Ali's goal against Celtic, I saw no chickening out of a challenge there. That was singled-minded determination and courage with the tackle coming in.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Law of Averages? There is no law of averages.
Don van Vliet
Seaside Leagues

Postby RyanT » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Obviously I don't get to see Crawford play week in week out, but in the few games I have seen, he always struck me as a player with vision that the rest of the team struggled to match - albeit I am going back 2 seasons here... He would play smart through balls, to which others couldn't get onto because they weren't on the same wavelength. I'm guessing things have clicked, and that's why he is doing so well now.

Either way, long may it last!
RyanT
Seaside Leagues

Postby Beastie » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:20 am

Ali's immense improvement in performance hasn't happened overnight. I've been watching him since he first appeared in the 1st team, and he has improved immeasurably. Yes it's true a few seasons back some people were venting their frustration at him, and that's maybe because we knew he was capable of better.
He has grown in confidence and grown as a player...he's been working hard on it, and I've noticed how angry he gets with himself when things don't work out. Personally, I see this as a huge forward step in his career, and I put it down mostly to Alex Neil...he seems to have that ability to bring the best out of people and coach them to believe in themselves. You only need to look at the league table to know that. Onwards and....er...?
Beastie
Pub League

Postby porcupine » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:59 am

Beastie sums it all up perfectly. We saw Ali playing for us in the SPL last time up. He promised a lot but never seemed to fully deliver. Most of us thought he would do much better in the Championship. He only had flashes of brilliance and no consistency.

Finally, he has matured/developed into a player who seems to be able to deliver week in and week out. He is now showing the results of all that he promised us four years ago. The fact that he has the confidence in his own ability is great for him, the team and us as his supporters.

Keep up the good work, Ali! Well done to everyone who finally brought it all out.
porcupine
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives