St Mirren v Accies

Old match day threads will be moved here

St Mirren v Accies

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:02 pm

A match to look forward to and dread in almost equal measure; a huge game after our slump since the coaching upheaval and departures.

One we can win but a defeat would hit players and fans hard. We might also have injuries post the Celtic game?:
McGovern
Ziggy Canning Devlin Hendrie
Imrie Gills Ali Daz Redmond
Nigel

Daz and Redmond need to step up to the plate in this one.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Re: St Mirren v Accies

Postby Joemcc » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:12 pm

I agree - a must-win game.
Joemcc
Pub League

Postby Alfie Olek » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:12 pm

We have Nigel, Sumsky, Lucas and Lynch ready to go. Nigel will be a certainty to play and I would like to see some of the others getting 90 minutes. Definitely drop Daz. Given up suggesting Brophy gets a start for whatever reason it aint going to happen. A vital game that will tee us up for the next 3 thereafter and hopefully a few points or further undermine confidence. Looking forward to this game. Saint Mirren are there for the taking
Alfie Olek

Postby Accies4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Hope to god, we can somehow get a win on Saturday, just to get the monkey off of Canning's back and our season back on wheels.

We've scored once in 7 games (Canning at Dundee) and shipped a ton of goals.
Not just that, our performances seem to worsen as the season progresses, so the signs don't look good.
I'd bite the hand off of anyone offering a 1-0 to Accies right now.

We seem to suspect how well we'll play, but how will St Mirren play.
They have a dismal home record, but have improved recently, mostly away from home.

Suspect it will actually be a turgid 0-0 game.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby master1 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:38 pm

Canning needs to be on the sidelines to take charge and see the pish we are watching. Mckinnon and Crawford need dropped both have been dreadful for weeks. 442, Scotland and Brophy to start.
master1
Pub League

Postby Accies4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:45 pm

master1 wrote:Canning needs to be on the sidelines to take charge and see the pish we are watching. Mckinnon and Crawford need dropped both have been dreadful for weeks. 442, Scotland and Brophy to start.

If we are ever to go 4-4-2 this season, this is perhaps the game to do it.

Canning will neither go 4-4-2 nor take a seat in the dugout, you know that don't you?
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Accies4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Does anyone agree that playing Hasselbaink up top on his own, isn't a good idea.
I still think out wide (like Imrie plays) or just behind the main striker is his best position.

You may recall when Nigel was with us last time, BR played him up top, and then the manager/players had the brilliant idea of playing high balls to him all the time. The tall defenders just lapped it up.

I know Nigel has gained experience, but something he hasn't gained is height.
So unless we play balls to only his feet or issue him with a ladder, play Scotland or Brophy in that lone striker role and move Nigel to a position he can be more effective in.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby H9crx » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:25 pm

Accies4ever wrote:Does anyone agree that playing Hasselbaink up top on his own, isn't a good idea.
I still think out wide (like Imrie plays) or just behind the main striker is his best position.

You may recall when Nigel was with us last time, BR played him up top, and then the manager/players had the brilliant idea of playing high balls to him all the time. The tall defenders just lapped it up.

I know Nigel has gained experience, but something he hasn't gained is height.
So unless we play balls to only his feet or issue him with a ladder, play Scotland or Brophy in that lone striker role and move Nigel to a position he can be more effective in.

100%
H9crx
Premiership

Postby AmanAccie » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:22 pm

I'm not suggesting we play Nigel up on his own and agree he should be played out on the left. But I remember the last time and how surprised I was at his ability to take down and control high balls. For such a small guy it's quite impressive. Perhaps it is the wrong choice when he's up against the giant Celtic backline. We were playing for a draw in the hope that a wee chance might steal us something. It worked until Ziggy and Gills went off. A nil nil would have been a big deal for us.
As for the Midden game I'd line up
McGovern
Routledge
Crawford Gillespie
Imrie Hasselbaink
Scotland
AmanAccie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies4ever » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:59 pm

AmanAccie wrote:I'm not suggesting we play Nigel up on his own and agree he should be played out on the left. But I remember the last time and how surprised I was at his ability to take down and control high balls. For such a small guy it's quite impressive. Perhaps it is the wrong choice when he's up against the giant Celtic backline. We were playing for a draw in the hope that a wee chance might steal us something. It worked until Ziggy and Gills went off. A nil nil would have been a big deal for us.
As for the Midden game I'd line up
McGovern
Routledge
Crawford Gillespie
Imrie Hasselbaink
Scotland

Never suggested for a second you did.
I assume that you have Imrie out wide right and Nigel out wide left, otherwise we'd need width in midfield.
That apart think that could work.
I do think Martin would benefit from taking a seat on the bench though.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Alexander the Great » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:03 pm

huge game, I think its a game we must not lose more than win, canning needs to get the players on side and organised like he had them at dens park, a game we were very unlucky not to win.
Last edited by Alexander the Great on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Dr Slippy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:23 pm

We didn't lose, we drew.
Dr Slippy
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:05 am

442 would be bold stuff in such a crucial game; I don't see it happening but the points re Nigel perhaps not being an out and out striker are borne out from his previous time here.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:57 am

Massive game hope there is a big support there. I would go with;

McGovern
Ziggy Devlin Canning McDonald (No going to happen)
Routladge Gillespie
Imrie Ali Hassilbank
Scotland
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Stodmeister » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:50 am

A win is imperative , not just for the Manager but for player confidence.

I really like Daz as a character but think he should be on the bench for this , he has not really contributed much in recent games .
Redmond for me needs to play he looks hungier and deservs more play time than he is getting at the moment. OK you lose the physicality and stature but you gain with skill and final ball delivery.

Gillespie to play in the AN role and Scotland to play up front with Hasselbank just off him.

Having not seen Numsky or Tagliapietra I can't comment maybe the gib chap can play in a holding midfield role like "Sideshow Bob" :D

McGivern
Gordon Canning Devlin Hendry
Gillespie
Imrie Crawford Redmond
Hasselbank
Scotland

Suspect though we'll end up with

McGivern
Gordon Canning Devlin Hendry
Routledge
Crawford Gillespie McKinnon Imrie
Hasselbank

Let's get a few more points , cement a top 6 place then introduce some of the young boys after split against half decent opposition not involved in a basement dog fight which is sure to be physical.
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby Montrose Week » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:44 pm

This is a game where we all need to stick together and back Martin & the team (whoever is picked). It has not been easy for us to watch what has happened since Sir Alex left and I doubt very much that it has been easy for the new manager or any of the players either.

Martin has been with us since 2008 and I feel that if team run out to good reception from ALL the fans (hopefully a good turn out) and all the negativity is left behind then we can all start to move on, (obviously a result will help). The behaviour of a section of the support at Parkhead was appalling and embarrassing and did no one any favours.

Time to stop moaning and accept that we are still in Scotland's top league and have a chance to finish in the top six.

Rant Over, C'MON THE ACCIES.
Montrose Week
Pub League

Postby Gaspode » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:35 pm

Hoping for 3pts and a good performance to calm down all the hysterical knicker wetting from some of our fans :D
Gaspode
Championship

Postby Alexander the Great » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:27 pm

Montrose Week wrote:This is a game where we all need to stick together and back Martin & the team (whoever is picked). It has not been easy for us to watch what has happened since Sir Alex left and I doubt very much that it has been easy for the new manager or any of the players either.

Martin has been with us since 2008 and I feel that if team run out to good reception from ALL the fans (hopefully a good turn out) and all the negativity is left behind then we can all start to move on, (obviously a result will help). The behaviour of a section of the support at Parkhead was appalling and embarrassing and did no one any favours.

Time to stop moaning and accept that we are still in Scotland's top league and have a chance to finish in the top six.

I would agree with that, some have been moaning since the partick game at least, but if we don't have at least another two points on board by the end of the ross county game, i'm afraid i'll be joining them.
daft donnachie is thicker than the lenses on they daft specs he wears !
Alexander the Great
Championship

Postby Accies999 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:06 pm

Right the Hoops, this is it, the start a of a journey and reigniting our season.

McGovern

Gordon Canning Tena Hendrie (back to best)

Tagliapietra

Imrie Crawford Mackinnon Hasslebank

Scotland

3-0 to the Hoops........Imrie Hasslebank Brophy(off the bench)
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 pm

Montrose Week wrote:This is a game where we all need to stick together and back Martin & the team (whoever is picked). It has not been easy for us to watch what has happened since Sir Alex left and I doubt very much that it has been easy for the new manager or any of the players either.

Well said that man.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Next

Return to Match Day Archives