St Mirren v Accies

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: St Mirren v Accies

Postby Yummy Fur » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:44 pm

porcupine wrote:
Accies4ever wrote:Wasn't at the game today, so were we really as bad as reported on tv and radio?

Also, I'd like to hear from the "pro-Canning / give Canning until next season" brigade.
Not having a go at you guys, but can you offer us "doubters" reasons to think things are or will improve.
What signs of improvement are happening, as I can't see them?

I have left my responses until 21.00hrs in the hope of being more objective. However, my support for the board's original decision has now evaporated. Having missed both the Aberdeen & Celtic games, I was sure that, going to Paisley today, playing against a team at the foot of the SPFL table, AND not having had a home win this SEASON, then we would come away with three points. How wrong can one be?

St Mirren are a poor, poor team, but wanted the points more than we did. McGovern kept us in it with some great saves, Ziggy gave his usual 150%, and McDonald had a good game, within a 'team' of disjointed individuals. Midfield was almost non-existent, and we were second to the ball on most occasions. Long high punts up the park, to a ineffective Hasseless and a slow Scotland, were mopped up by a tall defence. We had about 10 minutes in total trying to play it on the deck.

As others have said, McKinnon was a liability (again). He is, IMO, a robust Championship player at best, and he cannot control his temper for 90 minutes. He should have been subbed early into the second half. But, here's the question. Who decides?? Is it the captain, who is playing in goals, and furthest from the action/incident? Or is it the Manager, who is desperately trying to avoid another nail in his coffin? Or is it the bench, who arguably, can see the entire play developing, or fizzling out, from the centre line? Canning finally tells Ziggy to run over to the bench, which then send the subs out in the howling rain, only for them to be returned to the dugout to sit there for another 10/15 minutes!! Brophy finally gets onto the park, once we are a goal down, and is subject of a crunching tackle/foul within 30 seconds which must have left him both soaked to the skin, and bruised from a slide of about four metres on the side of the pitch. Redmond was the obvious choice to replace McKinnon after the first incident, but, No, he remains a substitute and never plays. At least he has some talent. Super-sub Longridge, who has done absolutely nothing this season, gets game time near the end. Why??

Imrie tried too hard near the end. Routledge, McKinnon & Crawford were really poor, with Devlin & Canning just getting pass marks. Why we signed Nigel, is beyond belief, other than some old pals act, as his touch is dreadful. Even before the game started, he only hit the net with one of about
eight attempts in the warm-up.

At The end Ziggy came over to the fans, looked embarrassed for his team-mates performance, but had the balls to face the support, which is more than the rest did, apart from McDonald.

Yes, I know we have lost 22, Neil & MAC, all of whom contributed significantly to out teams previous success. BUT, that is four/five weeks ago, and the new management team seem to have neither the ability, the skills required, or the management 'bite/acumen to stop the free-fall. Results elsewhere were a miracle in that all others around us lost too, other than St J. Before today, I thought the Ross County game looked to be a possible banana skin, given their two previous results. Now, I cannot see where we can see a win until the split. I was both supportive of the board's appointment, and of the need of time to play a team where we should roll over them the way we did up to Christmas. I now conclude, Accies4Ever, that Martin Canning should face up to the reality that he just does not have the skill-set for this task at present, and, more importantly, Les & Ronnie should have the 'balls' to recognise that, if we are to survive this free fall, then one of the "many outstanding candidates" should be approached to kick the team into shape, for the remainder of the season, regardless of the Club's "Ethos" from now until May 2015.

Today,was like watching Accies of 10/20 years ago in the lower leagues. Desperately, desperately poor!!! Has it been 2 points from a possible 27??? or are my maths wrong????

As above although I still have hopes for Hasselbaink to come good - any striker would struggle in that team but with hardly a ball kicked in 6 months it's a huge ask.

I suppose my patience finally cracked this afternoon with the MacKinnon episode expertly described by Porcupine. It was clear that McKinnon had completely lost the head to everyone apart from Chris Swailes on the Accies bench who had to be told by Ziggy to send his bench out to warm up. McKinnon only avoided red due to the inexplicable lenience of Crawford Allan but yet we finally make the change with 3 minutes remaining! I could understand the desire to keep him on if he was having a good game but he was abject.

There is clearly a problem with the Canning / Swailes dynamic with Swailes either unwilling or unable to make changes, to make our 2nd change with only minutes remaining and not even use our 3rd sub in a day where we only had 1 attempt at goal and where we were ridiculously poor is hard to understand.

We are a team with zero confidence, zero ideas and on today's evidence little effort. Change is needed and if it's done now maybe top 6 is still possible.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:03 pm

You have more faith than I, Yummy Fur. Having seen & supported the Accies in all four divisions since the early 1980's, this was about as bad a performance as it could get, (apart from the long trek to Buckie for that Scottish Cup Tie!!)

Maybe the old adage that "you can be boss or you can be liked, but you can't be both" fits in here, (though I personally found that you could be both, given time.... which our Management Team do not have!! :( :(
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Red and white hoops » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:18 pm

It's another small point I know but something else I noticed today that really annoyed me. At one point canning told swailles to send subs to warm up. I'm unsure who it was because they had jackets on with hoods up but two of them they casually walked round talking to each other, ran up and down in a straight line three or four times then walked back talking again. Thats not good enough. I know the weather wasn't great but that's no excuse not to go through a though a proper warm up.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:45 pm

To get beat off them is a disgrace. One of those games where you question why you're still going. Top 6 is gone. Certainties to go down next season. We can do nothing right atm
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Park Materson » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:16 am

Yes but never fear,the ACCIESDOME project will look really good when we're entertaining stenhousemuir and forfar in front of 500 fans.
Park Materson
Seaside Leagues

Postby maydude » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:36 am

abysmil
maydude
Championship

Postby RyanT » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:14 am

Dark times... I listened the game live over the radio online today, woke up early specifically to hear it; wish I hadn't bothered...

The negativity on this forum has been a little draining lately, but it's hard to fault it when most of you have been watching this massive fall from grace over the past 9 matches. Talk about a season of two halves.

It seems like we lack any of that attacking edge now, and movements either fizzle out or get lost in passes that don't get completed. The squad is obviously no longer playing as a single unit, and few are on the same wavelength. Do some of them not respect MC enough to play for him?

When the first incident with the Dazzler happened, I shouted at the radio for him to be subbed asap. We all knew where it was going, and sure enough he probably should have been sent off within a couple of minutes of that incident. Total liability, and a manager on the bench would see it better and be able to react. Also saw that Scotland lost the nut at DM in the youtube highlights, rightly so.

No idea where our next points are coming from never mind the next win. We've scored just ONE goal in the past EIGHT matches now. Ugh.
RyanT
Seaside Leagues

Postby AlMac » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:48 am

That was the poorest performance since the first game of the season agains ICT. The management team must take most of the responsibility however there was a team of players out there yesterday that should be embarrassed, with a couple of exceptions. Despite losing Andreu, MAC and Neil (as a player) that group of players should be performing better than that.
AlMac
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies999 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:54 am

Poor Poor Poor Accies being polite.

Not much more can be said about the game. Couple of points though.

It's obvious the management team think that we're better than what we are or why would they continue to pick the same players week in week out. It's getting that bad that they don't try to use subs with any great effect.

Another point. Why sign players that aren't good enough for first team football? Sumsky, Tagliapietra and Lynch. They're obviously not good enough or they would be featuring in this team.

IMO we let 5 good opportunity's slip away yesterday

1. Stop the rot

2 & 3 Create a bit of a gap with St Johnstone and Dundee for 6th place

4 & 5 Claw back the lead that ICT and United have over us
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Jjkkeeaa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Lucas is the best defender at the club, I have this from a member of the back room staff. Sumsky is electric and a handful anytime Iv seen him in the development games. Why are these two not playing? McKinnon is both a disgrace and a liability at any given time of any game. Brophy must wonder what he has to do to get a start and run in this fire team. Canning should swallow his pride and sit out the rest of season possibly in the stands to allow him to see what we see week after week, which at the moment is as bad as iv seen. We as fans can see the whole shape of the team is wrong, devlin should never ever be used on the left side of defence ever again. Canning isn't mobile enough, Crawford for me looks scared when he gets the ball now.
Jjkkeeaa
Pub League

Postby southoftheborder » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:19 pm

Jjkkeeaa wrote:Canning should swallow his pride and sit out the rest of season possibly in the stands to allow him to see what we see week after week, which at the moment is as bad as iv seen.

I've said this before - he NEEDS to see it from a managers prospective.

Jjkkeeaa wrote:Crawford for me looks scared when he gets the ball now.

From being one of our 'worst' players, to being one of our best players in the first half of the season, whats gone wrong?
southoftheborder
Seaside Leagues

Postby Accies999 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:22 pm

southoftheborder wrote:
Jjkkeeaa wrote:Canning should swallow his pride and sit out the rest of season possibly in the stands to allow him to see what we see week after week, which at the moment is as bad as iv seen.

I've said this before - he NEEDS to see it from a managers prospective.

Jjkkeeaa wrote:Crawford for me looks scared when he gets the ball now.

From being one of our 'worst' players, to being one of our best players in the first half of the season, whats gone wrong?

Maybe all the stuff about some of our fans touting him for a Scotland call up after Lewis Macleod getting a call up. It's prob went to his head.

Too be honest I think it's the same with most of the players that have lost form and confidence, losing Neil, Tony and MAC was too huge a dent.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:29 pm

Just watched the highlights back on you tube. Mackinnon is a disgrace what I never even noticed at the time was him clearly gesturing to Kieran macdonald to 'do' tesslar. This isn't the juniors anymore. Perhaps he got away with it a few years ago but this is the spl. Completely unacceptable. He had canning and Imrie round him. Manager and senior player and the under 17 coach and senior player. They should be commanding respect and authority but his petulance is clearly evident before he has a go at big Jason too.

Why wasn't he taken off immediately. A long spell on the sidelines is required and possibly even a heavy fine for his antics yesterday.
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Red and white hoops » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:31 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/31678716

Highlights here. If they can be described as highlights
Red and white hoops
Championship

Postby Accies4ever » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:35 pm

Time to get shot of Mackinnon. We can do much better.

Let him go at end of the season.
Until then, in the U20s with him, and promote a more worthy younger player.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Jjkkeeaa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:03 pm

I am genuinely bewildered by him as he has been given a chance most people would give a lot for: professional football at a very good level no less. Taking into account that a lot of clubs wouldn't have taken a chance with his past you'd think he'd put his head down backside up so to speak and make the most of it. Listen if you're having a poor game or spell which he is, fine, it happens but you must work hard off the ball for the team and sacrifice yourself. Not, what it looked like to me, try and kill any chance your team had by being sent off. How he didn't get sent off il never know and as for canning I feel he showed he is out his depth by not ordering him from the field and playing for however long it took a sub to get ready. Swailes, could someone please tell me what contributes to matchday from pitch side? At development games his is the main voice from both dugouts to be heard giving orders and instructions which in my opinion are always bang on. Is he not allowed any influence on first team matters and I would love to know seriously does canning? Or is he being stage managed from above?
Jjkkeeaa
Pub League

Postby Accies4ever » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:25 am

Mackinnon has hardly kicked a ball since Neil left, but that hasn't stopped him having kick outs at players.
Apart from at Dundee Utd, how many times this season has been a whisker off of a red card.

He's like a toddler going through the terrible 2s.
One tantrum after another.

We don't need players like that at Accies.
Committed, yes
Thugs, no.
Accies4ever
Championship

Postby Park Materson » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:05 am

MacKinnon is pish.
Park Materson
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:38 am

Just watched the highlights...worse than I'd thought.
To be overrun by Celtic last week was expected, but to have no decent efforts while St Mirren overran our midfield and pummelled our goal is a disgrace, given their league record at home.
It's not looking good for next season, unless something drastic happens.
Euan
Premiership

Postby DC United » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:25 am

What surprises me is that MacKinnon hasn't been caught out in this manner more often. Look at his record, (football and otherwise...) and this kind of behaviour should be expected from him. That might be something worth persisting with if he contributed positively in any other way.

MacKinnon isn't the only problem and shouldn't be used as a scapegoat for yet another poor performance and result. 1 goal and 2 points from the last 8 games is abysmal at any level. More of the same isn't going to turn things around.
DC United
Pub League

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Archives