St Johnstone Away Scottish Cup

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: St Johnstone Away Scottish Cup

Postby porcupine » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Quote from BBC website "Martin Canning's side rarely looked like getting back into the tie and they exit the competition in the fourth round for the fourth time in five years."

How long has Martin Canning been managing us?? Oh wait, is it not four years?? Once again , what does that say about management skills.

Like others, I did not waste my time, and money, on this predictable outcome, despite being a season ticket holder since the 1980's.

Await usual poor post match interview with usual excuses.. Boys played well.....New players only joining on Thursday/Friday....Concentration on league survival etc.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:19 pm

He should have been sacked three years ago after Annan thrashed us. A result i would consider a bigger shamer than Ayr's today as I would say Auchinleck could probably hold their own in the third tier whereas Annan were mid table in the fourth tier. We are unlucky with cup draws, at least seven in a row away in the Scottish but Annan should have been a gimme.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:25 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:He should have been sacked three years ago after Annan thrashed us. A result i would consider a bigger shamer than Ayr's today as I would say Auchinleck could probably hold their own in the third tier whereas Annan were mid table in the fourth tier. We are unlucky with cup draws, at least seven in a row away in the Scottish but Annan should have been a gimme.

No question that the Annan game which I witnessed live, was a glaring example of management ineptitude. It still beggars beleif that Alan Maitland came out with such strong support for MC, rather than keeping his powder dry until he had convinced himself of continuation of contract.

Once those who were there today start posting, we won't know just how bad it was (again).

Anyway, that's the Cup over for yet another year. Bring on Aberdeen on Wednesday night :roll:
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:44 pm

We were p!sh but I'm not going to blame the players when the set up and tactics - a word I use advisedly - were very bad.

Canning is embarassing himself week on week and I can understand why he won't resign as he will never, ever, get another job in football as he is completely and utterly clueless. Why get #22 back when all we seemed to do was kick the ball over his head and then in desperation put him up front as a central striker when Davies sloped off? Davies looked heavy at kick-off but quickly became heavy and bemused at what was happening.

All the feelgood at Andreu returning lasted exactly 50 seconds and there was significant unrest amongst the support with Canning getting continued and repeated pelters which he fully deserved. He's got the cheek to demand we get behind the team then serves up a display like that which, unfortunately, is just one amongst many. I rate Allan Maitland but unless he changes something we are condemned to watching garbage every week with absolutely no hope of survival under such an inept, cowardly manager. Pathetic. Again.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:56 pm

Take it you were at the game,Tumbleweed?
porcupine
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:29 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:I've only missed two Scottish Cup games in 42 years and that was due to work;knew what was coming today,so never went...The Canning effect.

Think this pretty much sums up what is happening with e club at moment. Guys who have been fans for many years have thought what is the point. The football is dire, the tactics to say the least are questionable. IF the team at least showed some fight, some commitment people would at least cut him some slack. But he seems to have his head stuck up his arse knowing he is unsackable

Once supporters get out of the habit of going to games its going to take something special to tempt them back

Aberdeen next then Celtic,mmmm wonder how many point we might get there
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 pm

porcupine wrote:Take it you were at the game,Tumbleweed?

Yes. Why?
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby The Goalie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:41 pm

Like many others, I gave this game a miss..instead went shopping with my 10 year old son, and, bought him a Rangers football top....I know I know...I'm ashamed that I have not brought him up properly...I can only hope that he is going through a phase...and I can turn him away from the dark side :|
The Goalie
Seaside Leagues

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:04 pm

Things might be bad,'The Goalie' but they aren't that bad ffs.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Berwick Rangers are a more attractive option than a Hamilton team under the 'guidance' of Clueless Canning.
HE MUST GO.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby porcupine » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:28 pm

Tumbleweed.. wrote:
porcupine wrote:Take it you were at the game,Tumbleweed?

Yes. Why?

I just appreciated what looked like an honest set of comments on how bad we were (& as bad as I thought we might be). Only those actaully who have been attending games know how really poor Accies have been this season, and how ineffective the players are under the existing management team (if team is the word?). Litttle evidence of any collective plan planning or subsequent implementation.

Thanks for posting so soon after what must have been a bummer of another drive home from Perth, with the same old result. I know, I have done it too many times in the past, but this one was a 'never again'.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:34 pm

Oh for the heady days of Forfar away.
Or midweek home games against Meadowbank Thistle.
Light years away from the pishy years as a Diddy team in the Scottish Premier League.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby porcupine » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:29 pm

Swift Frank wrote:Oh for the heady days of Forfar away.
Or midweek home games against Meadowbank Thistle.
Light years away from the pishy years as a Diddy team in the Scottish Premier League.

Ah, and they say, SF, "nostalgia isn't what it used to be"?
porcupine
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives