Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: The Lanarkshire Derby

Postby Chase Outlaw » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:10 pm

That's Motherwell safe,Job done agent Canning
Chase Outlaw
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:12 pm

Dougie took his goal well but that apart he was fairly poor. They were the better side by a mile. Time to blood one or two of the kids. And time for a change of manager.

Edit to add - if we had any ambition we'd appoint Jim Goodwin. Another cracking result for the Wasps today.
Last edited by Stevie Clarke on Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:38 pm

I don't know where to start with this, i have no energy to give anymore.

Chants of Canning get to f**k during the game but i didn't see anything after it, what happened?

Martin, you have been at the club a long time, you are a legend, but it's time to go...
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:26 pm

Pathetic. Again.

Canning's inability to be positive cost us once more - one up against a poor Motherwell team, at home, when a win was really needed? No-one left up the park when defending second half corners against a poor Motherwell team meaning when we got the ball we had no-one to play towards and so had to remain defensive until they were ready? Why, ffs?? Why play forward thinking players who are small when our tactic is to pump high balls forward in their general direction. Miller is talented, as is Keatings, but they have virtually no chance of succeeding when we play like that. He's not up to much, but Bloomfield has at least a hope of winning a few headers, but we persist with defensive thinking tactics when the players are clearly unable to do whatever it is Canning is asking them to. Not that I am blaming the players for today, I think it was clear that Canning set us up not to lose, rather than to win, and ultimately we got what we deserved !!!

His policy of surrendering the initiative to big teams is now so entrenched that he is doing the same to small teams. Let's be honest, Motherwell were poor, but they were far better than us and wanted the win so much more. It's just so sickening to watch because it's so obviously rubbish.

The barracking of Canning seemed to be more pronounced today and the boos which greeted his decision to bring the utterly and continually woeful Bingham were particularly noticeable. His continued urge to pick a player who is obviously short of the requisite quality is incredible, and really needs explaining. 1 league goal this season says it all. I'm sure both Bingham and Canning are nice guys, but they are simply not up to their respective jobs and if I never saw either of them again, it would be too soon.

Canning has to go now, or the club have to explain why they think he is good enough to continue. His managerial record is pathetic. His demeanour and attitude are both defeatist and negative and surely a man who knows football as well as Allan Maitland can see it is just not working. Whether he has the haw maws, or indeed the authority, to make a change is the question.

Hopefully it's goodbye and good luck to Canning after that sh!tfest :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:09 pm

Left this till I had my tea and was less grumpy. Not much to add to Tumbleweed's post.

Down 2-1. four at the back and he brings on another defender. No 'big' forward until Bingham, who again was anonymous.
Canning is utterly and absolutley clueless in a management role at this, or perhaps at any, level.

Whilst I understand that to resign puts a person on the unemployment register, others might take the view that they recognise that they are not up to the job and that the sensible decision is to stop digging a bigger hole for themselves as to future employment possibilities.

This was a winnable game against a depleted side, who wanted the win far more than we did. They were motivated positively, whereas we had surrendered the result in the second half for a point at home, and which was always going to cost us dearly. The 'Well were the better team today by far.

May is a long time away, but we are now bound for Greenock, Recreation Park et all, (and very probaby free-fall into Divison One in one more season), should Canning be retained any longer.

The football on offer is dire, not entertaining for the fans hard earned cash, and we have become a laughing stock in the eyes of the media with our BOD's persistence in seeing nothing wrong with the way the team are managed.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:10 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Dougie took his goal well but that apart he was fairly poor. They were the better side by a mile. Time to blood one or two of the kids. And time for a change of manager.

Edit to add - if we had any ambition we'd appoint Jim Goodwin. Another cracking result for the Wasps today.

Jim Goodwin is a great shout.
Mind you I'd take Fred Goodwin over Canning.
He wouldn't be long tearing them to shreds.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby judgeflash » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Dougie took his goal well but that apart he was fairly poor. They were the better side by a mile. Time to blood one or two of the kids. And time for a change of manager.

Outwith the goal, Dougie really done nothing much else but wind up the Motherwell fans.
A few points I want to address -
Rakish - I have tried my best to justify his selection, but I am struggling nowadays to do so. I don't fully blame Rakish though, under Canning his once sparky nature seems to have been extinguished, you can tell he's not developing as a player and IMO when we first seen him he looked like he had bags of raw potential.
Motherwell team - that team today had a REPORTED 11 senior players not available for selection, that was as close to a Motherwell reserves game as possible and outwith Ziggy and Killa I don't think a single player looked today like they thought a win was possible.
Keatings - It was a risky signing due to his prolific injury laden career, however if we are to persist with a void midfield, we can't have any combo of Keatings/Boyd up top, as it's just really fucking stupid.
Woods - I've forever said he's a great shotstopper, however his hesitance when it comes to crosses leaves us often in peril.

The crowd -
In any form of entertainment, the way to judge a successful product is by the popularity of said product, we are in a state of massive decline under Canning, the on park product is at it's worst *Since the final days of Billy Reid* and people are letting the club know by not showing up. Having personally seen the hundreds of free tickets issued to the charities that Accies are involved in, the true crowd numbers may be even more terrible than thought.
If the club is to survive the next couple of seasons and turn around the apathy of its loyal support, they need to invest in not only the player but the LINCHPIN behind any good team, an experienced coach who KNOWS HOW TO WIN.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:10 pm

We all know none of this will happen.
We are stuck with Martin Guardiola.
Maybe that is the master plan.
Until Taylor Wimpey move in with the bulldozers to Auchinraith Avenue and McGowan and Co walk away minted.
(Other Housebuilders are available).
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Yummy Fur » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:32 am

judgeflash wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:Rakish - I have tried my best to justify his selection, but I am struggling nowadays to do so. I don't fully blame Rakish though, under Canning his once sparky nature seems to have been extinguished, you can tell he's not developing as a player and IMO when we first seen him he looked like he had bags of raw potential.

I wouldn't imagine getting loudly booed on yesterday afternoon will improve his sparky nature any or helped his already shot confidence any. For all his limitations the slightly depressing fact is that he remains our best fit striker and would have given us more threat than the ineffective Boyd and Keatings.

Yesterday was so poor, the defeat was bad, getting defeated in front of a huge Motherwell away support was bad but the manner of our defeat was particularly galling. The 3 points were still there for the taking after 45 minutes but while Motherwell started the 2nd half looking for a win, Accies had already settled for a point - if you don't go out for a win at home against the team directly above you who are on a real bad run and missing half a team then when will you? Twice injuries gave Canning the perfect opportunity to switch from 5 at the back to a back 4 and twice he persevered with a system that by that time wasn't working. No midfield, no width, strikers not holding the ball up - when the goal came it was no surprise.

I've been a supporter of Canning for sometime and the refusal of some fans to give any credit for 5 seasons in the top league is bizarre. This season his target was once again to avoid relegation which bearing in mind the complete rebuilding task was a reasonable objective, at the moment he is on target to achieve that target without the aid of a play off. Therefore I understand the fairness of the BoD in giving him this long, however fairness needs to extend to the supporters too and is it fair to expect fans to continue to pay for such a negative style of football and so many games where we've been nowhere near competitive?
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:02 am

Like a 4 leaf clover and the Loch Ness Monster,Lord Lucan,blah blah blah,at last we find Yummyfur,the last defender of the undefendable.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:27 am

Swift Frank wrote:Like a 4 leaf clover and the Loch Ness Monster,Lord Lucan,blah blah blah,at last we find Yummyfur,the last defender of the undefendable.

Speaking of happy clappers I’ve not seen Willie Wastle in a while.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:34 am

Lol

Canning quote___"we need to defend better at set pieces"

Got news for you Martin.
You know that.
The fans know that.
Well fkn do it then.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Captain Haggis » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:50 pm

I can totally understand when some people accuse Accies fans of being unrealistic in our expectations of the team, lets be honest we are never going to win the league or even get to the final of a major cup (although I don't think the latter is unrealistic). I do however think for £22 it is not unreasonable to expect to see your team being capable of at least going forward with a bit of threat without tripping over the f*cking ball every time or passing it to an opposition player. I used to go to all the home Accies games with 2 mates who have now not been to a match in over a year, in addition 2 guys in my work that also used to go every home match have stopped going and have no intentions for going back - if that's replicated as much as I think it is just look at the money were haemorrhaging in gates receipts. Whilst you have to give Martin Canning some credit for keeping us in the league until now I suspect that most of the success was initially laid down by Alex Neil. Something needs to change soon either Canning needs to quickly change his negative "let go for a draw... regardless" tactics or its time for a new manager. Of course we could just wait until its too late and then decide to "go for it" :( .
Captain Haggis
Pub League

Postby Swift Frank » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:39 pm

I think we all know what we want re Canning.
He's had years to develop a playing style and structure the team to his way of playing.
The harsh reality is he's no further forward than in his first day in the job.
Some would say he's actually went back the way if that is possible.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Todd_is_God » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:43 am

It's defo possible. His first game - 2-0 down to Dundee United, Came back to 2-2 before losing 3-2. Acceptable performance.

Very little since then has been acceptable.
Todd_is_God
Seaside Leagues

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives