Accies v Celtic

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Accies v Celtic

Postby The Goalie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 pm

Charitable on and off the park.

Once again, this season, a team who are struggling be it on artificial surface, not won an away league match, not won at all...leave Hamilton with all three points.

I guess the BOD have a continuous supply of the stadium sponsor product...whilst us Accies fans have smoke coming out our ears through frustration.
The Goalie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:44 pm

Maybe a trivial point but for the second successive home game against them, we have a spectacularly inept kick off. Last time we negatively went back the way and Want gifted Edouard a sitter, which he missed. Today, Martin just punts the ball through to Gordon. What's that about? Was he trying to put it into touch? Sends out a terrible message right away.

Meanwhile in Spain, the minnows Eibar go for the jugular and thrash Real Madrid 3-0. A town with the population of 27,000. We just sit off them and let them pass it about at their leisure.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Maybe a trivial point but for the second successive home game against them, we have a spectacularly inept kick off. Last time we negatively went back the way and Want gifted Edouard a sitter, which he missed. Today, Martin just punts the ball through to Gordon. What's that about? Was he trying to put it into touch? Sends out a terrible message right away.

Meanwhile in Spain, the minnows Eibar go for the jugular and thrash Real Madrid 3-0. A town with the population of 27,000. We just sit off them and let them pass it about at their leisure.

Trying to register a shot on target.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby porcupine » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:29 pm

Scotty Tunbridge wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:Maybe a trivial point but for the second successive home game against them, we have a spectacularly inept kick off. Last time we negatively went back the way and Want gifted Edouard a sitter, which he missed. Today, Martin just punts the ball through to Gordon. What's that about? Was he trying to put it into touch? Sends out a terrible message right away.

Trying to register a shot on target.

Don't bother trying to count, ST, there were none from Accies, if that's what you meant. Training game for Celtic, today. Could have played without a keeper.
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:47 pm

Standard Pub team performance.
Don't see what all the fuss is about.
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Didn’t bother going just watched it on BT. A stroll in the park for Celtic as one commentator put it. There are no positives to be taken from that performance and results elsewhere currently going against us as was bound to happen imo.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:38 pm

Again against one of the ugly sisters Canning surrendered even before we started. Tactics and set-up in the first half were awful and we barely even laid a glove on them. The first goal was embarrassingly simple and Celtic could have played their U19's for all the good we were. Second half we showed a bit more fight but in all honesty I think Canning was happy to get away with a 3 zip scoreline and his after match interview conveyed that. He said that the boys worked hard, but I thought in the first half we didn't work at all.

There was no virtually no noise in the ground at any point and the team did nothing to raise the crowd even for a few seconds. Bingham and Imrie again started, both were as anonymous as usual, and whoever told either of them they were even average at dead ball situations clearly needs a boot in the nads. Imrie kicked everything to the keeper if he wasn't putting it out and Bingham blootered 2 decent free-kick opportunities well, well over the bar. If he's the best we have in that situation, God help us.

We won't be judged against these teams, so the mantra goes, but as I type St Mirren are winning and Dundee are drawing, so the points cushion which suggested to some we were on course to stay up and extend our golden age has just got a lot thinner and will, I surmise, be non-existent after we visit St Mirren next week.

Rubbish. Again.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:37 pm

I found that second free kick infuriating. Imrie is finished but for a dead ball situation it was very similar to a free kick he scored from against Aberdeen. Why not try again instead of leaving it to that waste of a shirt?
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby really? » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:09 pm

Rubenthedog had an interesting thought experiment today - give Brendan Rogers our squad and give Martin Canning the Celtic squad for a few weeks - we've got some decent players (Bingham included) that a good coach could get the best out of - many in the Celtic team could slip into mid-table mediocrity (where was Forrest today?).

I guess Celtic managed by Martin would struggle to finish top 4 whereas us managed by Brendan (or Alex Neil) would be well safe and perhaps top 6 at a push.

Thoughts?
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby smc4761 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Ok I dont think anyone expected anything today, which seemed to be the attitude that Martin said to the players. We were beaten before we even took to the park.

After about 20 mins commentator on BT said Celtic had 82% possession!!!!!!! This was a stroll in the park for Celtic dont think they even came out of 1st gear Thats what is so infuriating: i know Celtic have better players but surely we could match them for effort ( I suppose we sort of did, we never came out of 1st gear either ).

I have got to applaud those fans who continue to go each week to watch the dross on the park. Support your team through good and bad times sure, but the team need to give something back and this simply is not happening. There are some decent players in the team and as suggested above with a decent coach and tactics maybe the team will do better. Martin you are decent guy but sorry you are simply out of your depth.

St Midden winning today will give them a wee boost and they must be looking forward to next game. Dundee also getting a wee boost today with a decent draw.

We are notoriously poor from December to March ( even worse than early season) so next 2 games are vital. Are we going to get anything NO.

Sorry Martin, games a bogey
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:56 pm

Training session as predicted however.........

Defensively I thought we were fine given recent weeks. Celtic’s 3 goals, 2 were from set plays and the other was a deflection and those aside we limited them to very few efforts on goal. I can only recall woods making 1 save of note v Sinclair in the first half, the rest were comfortable.

That said we offered absolutely nothing going forward. Must’ve took 20 minutes for Bingham to win a free kick 30 yards out from a Celtic mistake which he then wasted along with the next one 10 minutes. 2 free kicks and 2 corners in the 1st half and we threatened nothing.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:09 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:I found that second free kick infuriating. Imrie is finished but for a dead ball situation it was very similar to a free kick he scored from against Aberdeen. Why not try again instead of leaving it to that waste of a shirt?

The waste of a shirt is Captain Imrie who should be following Canning,Boozy and his clipboard and the likes of Bingham,Kelly,Penny et al out the door.

Imrie's free kicks have been dire for those of us having to suffer them the last two seasons;Mikel Miller fwiw,should have been hitting it.

Compare and contrast today.St.Mirren who as their Manager has said, have been improving get their reward and Dundee came back from two goals down fighting...unlike us when we go two goals down.

Both these sides will sense they can overtake us in the next few weeks and let's be honest,most of us expect this also and this clown will still be in a job.

It could have been different of course.A new Manager should have been installed during the International break giving him three weeks to get a side who will fight for every point going into these two huge games instead of a team and support utterly demoralised with every passing week.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Alty accie » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:28 pm

The number of empty seats in the home end was EMBARRASSING.

Canning must go now. :roll:
Alty accie
Seaside Leagues

Postby Beardy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:58 pm

What a shit-show that was today, i know we didnt expect a win but i thought a bit of resistence at least.
This hoof it up the wing tactic hasnt been working for christ knows how long and yet we persist - long ball for Bingham to make no effort to win it. He's the only player ive seen that gets shorter when he jumps.
Miller put a shift in chasing the ball again but never really got any service to make use of his skills or pace.
Dismall display to watch , only positive for me was the steak pie at half time.
Beardy
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bluesy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:40 am

Alty accie wrote:The number of empty seats in the home end was EMBARRASSING.

Surely needs a new head coach - we used to at least compete at home. Not bothered about Martin being sacked completely if he can handle staying in some capacity
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:54 am

Think Martin should be re allocated a job also and not sacked.
Give him a job inside the Club more suited to his skills.
Programme Seller?
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Euan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:11 am

really? wrote:Rubenthedog had an interesting thought experiment today - give Brendan Rogers our squad and give Martin Canning the Celtic squad for a few weeks - we've got some decent players (Bingham included) that a good coach could get the best out of - many in the Celtic team could slip into mid-table mediocrity (where was Forrest today?).

I guess Celtic managed by Martin would struggle to finish top 4 whereas us managed by Brendan (or Alex Neil) would be well safe and perhaps top 6 at a push.

Thoughts?

Celtic would still win the League regardless of who's in charge, (even Canning) as they did in the Ronnie Delia days. The other top teams have improved but they'll all continue to take points off each other whereas Celtic have too many match winners and leaders in their squad.

However if Martin was in charge for the next few seasons they might only get to 11 in a row...

Rodgers at Accies would be great for the likes of Miller and the current U19 players development and would soon see us as an established mid table team like St Johnstone.

Given the standard of young player that we develop we should be following through in developing more first team players, which a better coach would do. Having said that if we still had Devlin, Ferguson and Docherty in the team we'd be a much better team.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Stodmeister » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:28 pm

Bingham is a waste of a jersey there's no way he should be near the team , Imrie's leg have gone and his dead ball's yesterday were quite frankly embarrassing , Dougie is getting worse week by week and surely the manager and Dougie himself can see that. Taiwo looks lost as well so there you have 3 players in a team against Celtic that makes you up against it from the start.

With Daz not playing , Kilgannon should have got the armband in my opinion.

St.Mirren next week and the with them beating Hearts they'll be up for our visit. Daz will be back but he'd better get his act together and watch his discipline.

We're going backwards fast and being led there by MC and GB , I don't have the answers but I know it's not these two guys.
Stodmeister
Championship

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:30 pm

I don't share this focus on the size of the crowd.

Accies have always had a pathetic level of support. In recent years the club have tried just about everything to get more fans to come, and nothing's worked. I've accepted that we'll always have a tiny support.

My priorities are:

1. Winning games, or when we can't do that at least avoiding defeat.
2. Competing at the highest level we can.
3. Putting in good performances, so that even when we lose, we can say we gave it a right good go.
4. Playing attractive football - oddly we sometimes do that while failing to deliver priorities 1 to 3.

The size of the crowd's way behind those priorities, and doesn't begin to influence my thinking about whether the manager should keep his job.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:26 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:

I don't share this focus on the size of the crowd.

Accies have always had a pathetic level of support. In recent years the club have tried just about everything to get more fans to come, and nothing's worked. I've accepted that we'll always have a tiny support.

My priorities are:

1. Winning games, or when we can't do that at least avoiding defeat.
2. Competing at the highest level we can.
3. Putting in good performances, so that even when we lose, we can say we gave it a right good go.
4. Playing attractive football - oddly we sometimes do that while failing to deliver priorities 1 to 3.

The size of the crowd's way behind those priorities, and doesn't begin to influence my thinking about whether the manager should keep his job.

Lets consider the evidence shall we on your points

1 No we are not doing that 6 wins and 2 draws in 32 league games since start of year

2 No we are not doing that either. Sure we are in top league, but judging by many performances this season we certainly are not competing, Hibs St Johnstone Celtic, as recent examples

3 No not doing that either see point 2 above

4 No we not doing that, the football is atrocious to watch

As for the size of crowd taking into account the 4 points above crowds are going to dwindle even further unless Canning goes and takes Imrie and Bingham with him
smc4761
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Archives