Hibs Away

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Hibs Away

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:55 pm

Looks to me like a better starting XI than last week.
Ooops ;)
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:57 pm

Bad day today.

Running out of excuses.

We should know our best XI by now, and our best formation. We've made a lot of changes, but they've had time to bed in, and few of the new additions have impressed so far. We look pretty toothless. We still have defensive frailties. I doubt any of our opponents fear us.

We've suffered today and likely in the games to come. The real damage was done in defeats to Livi, St Johnstone and Dundee - all games where we should have been looking to take something. But we'll be lucky to still be above the relegation spots when the first round of eleven league games is complete.

What now? I've never been one to believe sacking the manager makes any difference. Especially when the only candidate to replace him seems to be Dougie. But what else can we do? Another clear-out in January? We lack leadership on the park, we make too many defensive mistakes, we lack creativity, and we don't seem to have forwards who can contribute goals. It's a tough one.

Our only saving grace is that results elsewhere went well for us. Motherwell, St Mirren and Dundee are all very poor. Maybe we're heading for another season like the last one. Looking poor most weeks, but staying up because others are worse. But it's not very inspiring when that's the best we can hope for.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby really? » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:29 pm

We played 3 up front with no midfield to speak of. I was never a fan of one up front but could understand there were games you had to try and get to HT 0-0. But 3 up with gaps at the back you could drive a bus through? Hibs rolled us over with virtually no effort.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:58 pm

That was deplorable. Not sure what Canning thought he was going to achieve with the usual 3 imposters starting and all playing true to form - 8 men from the start. Then one of these imposters, the one with the most to say for himself, decides to throw McMann under the bus for the entire first half by failing to track his runner on numerous and repeated occasions leading to 3-0 at half time which could and probably should have been more. When a fair number of Accies regulars leave for the pub before halftime it tells its own story.

I am not interested or calm enough to go through the team or outline our managers many and obvious deficiencies, but the reaction after the final whistle was insightful about responsibility felt by those who put in that display - at least McGowan had the decency to acknowledge the fans and appear embarrassed, while Imrie trotted off first, no doubt because he knew his performance was dire and he would get an earful if he approached the (very) few who were left.

As for Canning, I would like to hear from anyone who thinks we should keep him. Genuine question - why is this inept, bungling fool still our manager and why does the board seem to repeatedly reward failure? He is utterly clueless, has never progressed from when he first took over 3 YEARS ago, continually picks players who would get hunted by junior teams and clearly some of those I have mentioned above have some very incriminating pictures of our Martin, because there are no footballing reasons why Imrie, Boyd and Bingham regularly start.

Don't tell me someone else couldn't have done the same or better. Don't tell me we have stayed up so he is a genius. We have stayed up because other clubs have blown up and gone into freefall. The football is AWFUL to watch. The 'tactics' are questionable game after game, good results like St Mirren and Motherwell are enjoyable as they are so unexpected and overall we are slowly becoming irrelevant to many, many people. Make no mistake, this current regime is killing the club. We have a decreasing number of fans, stalwarts are finding it harder and harder to justify making the effort to attend games and the youngsters coming behind them are having a look and saying 'no thanks' We may be in the top league for the longest time in our history, but is the enjoyment on offer worth that boast? I wonder.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:04 pm

And to think some fans would be quite happy to have Imrie, the snidey, narky little cheat, as manager! Change is badly needed but I'd rather have Canning than him.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:08 pm

I wouldn't be bothered if neither of them were anywhere near the first team by the time of our next game. Or the club.
On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ring road to somewhere, on the verge of indecision, I'll always take the roundabout way.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby TerracingTomas » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:15 pm

I would not be happy if Imrie got the job but all the evidence is Ronnie/Les are only comfortable appointing from a very small pool of individuals they have worked with in the past viz. Maitland/Reid or have known as a player Alex/Martin. So if I was a betting man Imrie is next up.
Any future sponsors should contact liningourownpockets@mcgoofeystadium.com
TerracingTomas
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:21 pm

Tumbleweed, you're one of the most thoughtful and analytical posters on here, but I'm not going to take up your challenge to defend Canning on an evening after we've suffered our heaviest defeat for months - although there's a very clear defence to be made. Another time.

But I have to take issue with your comments about Steven Boyd, who you seem to regard as one of your "three impostors".

This is a 21 year old. A young product of our youth academy who has made fewer than 30 league appearances, and is just starting to become a regular in the first team. Our most creative player so far this season, and one who's shown a nose for goal. He linked up brilliantly with Miller in our win over St Mirren. He looks like a great prospect, bar the classic Scottish problem of being a bit wee.

He's one we should be supporting.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby really? » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:26 pm

The football is dire and pointless. Nobody is looking forward to the next game - not the fans, not the players. Football is supposed to be entertaining, exciting. I'll go to the Basel game but, unless there is a change of manager, I don't think I'll bother with the Rangers game. And I've got a ST. Please Ronnie - let's at least go down fighting.
really?
Seaside Leagues

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:31 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:This is a 21 year old. A young product of our youth academy who has made fewer than 30 league appearances, and is just starting to become a regular in the first team. Our most creative player so far this season, and one who's shown a nose for goal. He linked up brilliantly with Miller in our win over St Mirren. He looks like a great prospect, bar the classic Scottish problem of being a bit wee.

He's one we should be supporting.

It's a shame he's abysmal and couldn't get anywhere near Livi's team last season. He scored a 1 in 20 chance in the Motherwell game and that's guranteed him a game every week since and he's been dreadful bar St Mirren, Where the whole team looked good against that dross. He's no where near ready for his level and I doubt he ever will be.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby smc4761 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:51 pm

I have honestly no idea what this idiot Canning has to do before he gets hunted. He has been there almost 4 years and during that time has he taken the club forward. NO. The football itself is atrocious to watch, why anyone would pay even a £5 never mind £20 plus to go and watch that, I do not know.

I appreciate that if you are a football fan you support the team through good times and bad times, but surely there must come a point when you have to say, f**k this for a game of soldiers. I would rather go shopping with the wife than watch this shambles on the field.

No tactics, no heart, no fight,Canning is sucking the soul out of the club.

Is it going to take being humped 6-0 for a number of games for this clown to go.

If he has any class/decency he will realise he is going backwards and walk

PS looks like Mourinho could be getting chased at Man Utd, does he fancy a fresh challenge
smc4761
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:58 pm

Even Canning after match comments are embarrasing

"The better team won today. We didn't compete anywhere near well enough and that's the most disappointing thing for me. This club traditionally is known for having heart and fight and that type of performance is not acceptable.

"It was really poor and we were punished by a good side. The players are good enough, no doubt, we just need to make sure we compete better than we did today."
smc4761
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:12 pm

smc4761 wrote:Even Canning after match comments are embarrasing

"The better team won today. We didn't compete anywhere near well enough and that's the most disappointing thing for me. This club traditionally is known for having heart and fight and that type of performance is not acceptable.

"It was really poor and we were punished by a good side. The players are good enough, no doubt, we just need to make sure we compete better than we did today."

I’m far from being a happy clapper, but I actually thought his post match comments were refreshing for once. He actually sounded pissed off for once as opposed to his usual “we were unlucky” “we dominated 30 mins/the 1st half/2nd half” etc. And it sounds like some players might actually get the toe up the arse they need. It Still doesn’t stop him being a clueless tit but he said the right things in the right manner for once today.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby Yummy Fur » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Tumbleweed.. wrote:As for Canning, I would like to hear from anyone who thinks we should keep him. Genuine question - why is this inept, bungling fool still our manager and why does the board seem to repeatedly reward failure?

Don't tell me someone else couldn't have done the same or better. Don't tell me we have stayed up so he is a genius. We have stayed up because other clubs have blown up and gone into freefall.

We may be in the top league for the longest time in our history, but is the enjoyment on offer worth that boast? I wonder.

Tonight probably isn't the wisest time to defend Canning but as an alternative to the Canning out / clownzo mantra I thought I would give it a go (Apologies for the selective quoting Tumbleweed).

The reward failure comment is interesting and lies right at the heart of the disenchantment that many Accies fans feel towards Canning but as you point out later we are enjoying the longest top league stay in our history and doing so with a fraction of the budget of the other clubs in the Division (Livi aside this season). Is that failure? If your employer gives you an annual objective which you constantly achieve would you expect to be sacked? Is there another club in Europe that have survived so long in a division where they've been at such a financial disadvantage?

"We have stayed up because other clubs have blown up and gone into freefall" is another common argument but it's such a lazy argument and where does it stop - did we get promotion at Easter Road because Hibs blew up? Did Leicester win the English Premiership because the other 21 teams went into freefall? At what point does Canning get some credit for the job he has done? While teams with superior resources like Dundee United, ICT, Ross County & Partick Thistle scramble to get out of a tough championship Canning has led Accies to safety three times (I won't count the first season) while also bringing a million pounds into the club in transfers last season on players he played a large part in developing. Is that failure?

I don't believe Canning is a genius but I certainly don't believe he deserves the abuse that he gets - it's bizarre and is met by puzzlement by most outside of the WAH social media bubble. The truth probably lies in the middle somewhere in that he is a decent guy doing a decent job in often difficult circumstances.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Scotty Tunbridge wrote:
smc4761 wrote: It Still doesn’t stop him being a clueless tit but he said the right things in the right manner for once today.

That made me laugh out loud, not bad going after that horse excrement we witnessed today.

Willie Wastle wrote: I'm not going to take up your challenge to defend Canning on an evening after we've suffered our heaviest defeat for months - although there's a [b]very clear defence to be made. Another time.

I genuinely cannot wait to read it and will do so with interest.

Willie Wastle wrote: But I have to take issue with your comments about Steven Boyd,[edited for brevity] ………..He's one we should be supporting.

Just to clarify, I definitely do regard him as an imposter in terms of being even an average top league footballer. I appreciate he is 21 and still 'a prospect', but in the main, his performances have been honking. A terrific goal against Motherwell and a good display in amongst a good team performance against St Mirren is about as much evidence as even his most ardent supporter can provide to justify him starting most weeks. It just gives me the fear. I'm not going to identify every individual flaw in his performance today as it would be like picking on a defenceless lamb, but suffice it to say I would be surprised if he completed half of the passes he tried (if wild eyed blooters to those wearing green can even be called passes), he did have a shot but like all ours today it was a blank, while I would be surprised if any Hibs player went near him worrying too much about whether they could take the ball off him- they could and they did with monotonous regularity.

Yes he's young and I was far more disgusted today by Imries total lack of desire, skill and teamwork than Boyd, but I struggle to accept that we dont have anyone better to play in midfield than him and, if he is the future of the club, we're in for some tough times. He may turn out to be a world beater but I wouldnt hold my breath.

And just for super clarity, Imrie and Bingham are the other 2 imposters.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bluesy » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:33 pm

I don't think Canning deserves abuse. It's not his fault he's not up to the job and I'm sure he tries really hard to get it right. I have never been one to call for his head but he has to be replaced (wouldn't mind him still working for Accies though). Imrie has been a great servant to the club but COME ON he's finished as a premier league player. I'm ashamed to say that I left at 4-0 but I really couldn't take it. It does actually hurt watching that.
As much as I'm excited by the under 19s European adventure I JUST DON'T WANT BINGHAM INSTEAD OF LEWIS SMITH. Bingham didn't care enough to fight off his marker. Get some of the young boys in NOW.
As other posters have mentioned it is astounding that others are also capitulating even more than us - were 9th and still have better goal difference than Dundee and St Mirren.
Still can't wait for the Rangers game as McKinnnon and Miller should be back.
Mon the hoops
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:And to think some fans would be quite happy to have Imrie, the snidey, narky little cheat, as manager! Change is badly needed but I'd rather have Canning than him.

What has Imrie done to deserve the pish you spout about him?
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:36 pm

Swift Frank wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:And to think some fans would be quite happy to have Imrie, the snidey, narky little cheat, as manager! Change is badly needed but I'd rather have Canning than him.

What has Imrie done to deserve the pish you spout about him?

He's been a snidey, narky little cheat.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Swift Frank » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:01 pm

Bullshit
Swift Frank
Team Mascot

Postby Tumbleweed.. » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Swift Frank wrote:Bullshit

I thought it was remarkably accurate actually. He used to be a snidey, narkey little cheat with skill, heart and a bursting will to win. Now he's just a snidey, narkey little cheat.
Tumbleweed..
Seaside Leagues

PreviousNext

Return to Match Day Archives