Accies .V. Celtic - Match Thread

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Accies .V. Celtic - Match Thread

Postby Alfie Olek » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:28 pm

Redmond I think was dropped as we beefed things up to grind out results over the New Year perhaps just lacking that bit stamina. I would however like to see him back in for Wednesday night. I thought Brophy looked good when he came on so again like to see more of him on Wednesday. Canning has some interesting selection decisions to make and its important we stop the ‘rot’. Overall no complaints Celtic were the better team and bossed the game and we just couldn’t take the chances we had. The crowd figure was given as 6070 our highest ever at NDP. I don’t doubt that all tickets were sold/allocated but there were at least a dozen empty seats in my immediate vicinity. I assume a lot of accies season ticket holders stayed away.
Alfie Olek

Postby H9crx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:51 pm

Better team won, they hounded and pressed us like we do to teams and we could not live with it. JR missing all game.

Why does SH not get man of the match very often? Ow that's because he nevr performs above average game! Both goals coming down his side!

Pass marks DI, AC, GG Mc, MD

Must do better - Daz, JR, SH

Few changes for The PT game.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby Whiskeytown » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:43 pm

I know I'm not alone in thinking Jon Routledge was one of our better performers today although Ali Crawford finished the match superbly. I think a lot of what JR does passes unnoticed by many. He won a lot of tackles and got the foot in numerous times. Daz was better than DU game but not by much. Why he was kept on and put in JR's place baffled me and others.

Worried we might be in for a very tough few weeks. A new manager (Taylor?) is badly needed. And a spell on the bench for Curier who just cannot shift his lazy arse and get himself onside. He really was pathetic in that first half.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby Mrsweetleftfoot » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:04 pm

One major point about Hendrie getting exposed down the left.......if you continually play Crawford on the left, he will want to drift inside and that's where problems stem from.

Redmond seems more intent on staying wider and I reckon he should start v PT on Wed.

I reckon Routledge did ok today, tough shift.

Although Brophy is pretty quick he still strikes me as too lightweight at this level......he is still young though!........and that attempt on his left side today was abysmal.
Plenty of time for him to develop.

Celtic are still rotten, Dundee Utd played better football on Monday against us but games v Celtic etc are not games we need to take points from.

We need 7 points from next 3 games if we are to remain in the top echelons.....
Mrsweetleftfoot
Championship

Postby H9crx » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:22 pm

Mrsweetleftfoot wrote:One major point about Hendrie getting exposed down the left.......if you continually play Crawford on the left, he will want to drift inside and that's where problems stem from.

Redmond seems more intent on staying wider and I reckon he should start v PT on Wed.

I reckon Routledge did ok today, tough shift.

Although Brophy is pretty quick he still strikes me as too lightweight at this level......he is still young though!........and that attempt on his left side today was abysmal.
Plenty of time for him to develop.

Celtic are still rotten, Dundee Utd played better football on Monday against us but games v Celtic etc are not games we need to take points from.

We need 7 points from next 3 games if we are to remain in the top echelons.....

AB looked as if he was trying to place it into the bottom left, he does put him self about which I like.

For me we are at a cross roads just now.

What is better for the club long term? Top six and a sniff at Europe or blooding u20's for next year.

I would like to see AB get starts and a few others like McDonald Watson etc but possibly after we are on 46 points.
H9crx
Premiership

Postby rubenthedog » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:47 pm

thought Eamonn brophy did well when he came on. stood up to the big defenders and gave them something to think about.

We were beaten by a better stronger team today.Felt a bit like the inverness game at the start of the season.

Van Dijk strolled the game today. However he's very clever with the wee pushes and nudges just at the right time.

A stronger referee would have given us more. But what do you expect when your up against the old firm.

Hopefully the boys will pick themselves up for Wednesday evening
rubenthedog
Seaside Leagues

Postby Whiskeytown » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 pm

What was going on at half time with the Accies-Celtic love in. Why did we go out of our way for the young boy who was clearly a Celtic fan with his Dad all in Celtic colours next to him? I'm guessing there might be a story there I'm unaware of.
Whiskeytown
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:44 pm

Whiskeytown wrote:What was going on at half time with the Accies-Celtic love in. Why did we go out of our way for the young boy who was clearly a Celtic fan with his Dad all in Celtic colours next to him? I'm guessing there might be a story there I'm unaware of.

The wee guy (Jay Beatty) has something wrong with him (cancer I think) and he's always wanted to go to a Celtic away game so Colin McGowan or Ronnie MacDonald organised it so that he could go to one and obviously let him go on the park at half time and score a goal in front of the Celtic fans. Really nice story. The wee guy clearly was loving it and his dad was clearly delighted too.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby RyanT » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:40 am

accies1874 wrote:
Whiskeytown wrote:What was going on at half time with the Accies-Celtic love in. Why did we go out of our way for the young boy who was clearly a Celtic fan with his Dad all in Celtic colours next to him? I'm guessing there might be a story there I'm unaware of.

The wee guy (Jay Beatty) has something wrong with him (cancer I think) and he's always wanted to go to a Celtic away game so Colin McGowan or Ronnie MacDonald organised it so that he could go to one and obviously let him go on the park at half time and score a goal in front of the Celtic fans. Really nice story. The wee guy clearly was loving it and his dad was clearly delighted too.

Great gesture, here is a link to a write up and some videos:
http://www.talkingbaws.com/2015/01/17/y ... lton-game/
RyanT
Seaside Leagues

Postby fair city » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:59 pm

I must admit to being so disappointed at Accies poor performances at the latest two home games. Let me say that both opponents fully deserved their wins as they handled the matches at a superior level.

It would appear that all the good recipes introduced by AN have been forgotten already. I felt that our recent run of results combined with the good football had somehow or other got left behind in the dressing room.

Next I do not think its a good idea making our keeper the captain. He's enough to do looking after his own area with little time to lash out orders to the other players. I much prefer a midfield player so meantime we could return to Canning. Where has the good form gone especially up front 22 too well marked - no longer the threat he was, Crawford losing the ball regularly, Curier not creating openings and when he gets a good chance he fails to take it.

The most dependable players are all in defence. I find that they play for the jersey and work their guts out. We shall fall by the wayside if we don't improve - I know that we are running a good youth combine but why do we seem averse to even bring in one good experienced player - this could make a real difference.

Recently I have sensed a real refreshing attitude among our fans but when we have this we must hold on to it. So lets continue on this encouraging theme.
fair city
Pub League

Postby accies1874 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:09 pm

Thought the fans were great yesterday. Sang right til the end even when we knew nothing would come from the game and sang far more frequently than the glory hunters that took over NDP.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Accies999 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:44 am

I found it quite interesting watching the passion showed by the Celtic manager at the end of the game and also when they played Kilmarnock in the way he approached the supporters and stirred them into a frenzy with his actions. I said to my son I thought he had lost the plot, you would have thought they had just one the Champions League or maybe he was just overcome after taking the scalp of the might Accies. Maybe he is just a passionate man, it got the crowd going anyway.
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:52 am

I thought the same at the end of the Hibs first leg last season, when Butcher was going mental like they'd won the World Cup. But on Saturday I saw it a wee bit different, as you said it seemed to give them a lift (even though they'd already won the game), whereas from our side I didn't see one example of our players shouting at/to each other at any point, including Canning. McGovern as captain does his usual talking to the back line to keep them straight, but I don't see what possible effect he can have on the game, a keeper as captain has always seemed a strange choice to me. Deila just looked like he wanted to win it, and knew they'd done well to beat us at home. Good on him.

Priority for me right now is a manager who can gee us up and dish out a few b*llockings when necessary (e.g. the constant stream of attacks coming down our left side on Saturday which we did nothing to stop), and a strong captain who does the same. One of the only things we're missing at the moment IMO, we've certainly got the midfield/attacking options to cause trouble at the right end. I miss seeing Ziggy geeing up the fans at the end of every game, win or lose, as well.
Thethirdproclaimer

Postby Accies999 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 am

Thethirdproclaimer wrote:I thought the same at the end of the Hibs first leg last season, when Butcher was going mental like they'd won the World Cup. But on Saturday I saw it a wee bit different, as you said it seemed to give them a lift (even though they'd already won the game), whereas from our side I didn't see one example of our players shouting at/to each other at any point, including Canning. McGovern as captain does his usual talking to the back line to keep them straight, but I don't see what possible effect he can have on the game, a keeper as captain has always seemed a strange choice to me. Deila just looked like he wanted to win it, and knew they'd done well to beat us at home. Good on him.

Priority for me right now is a manager who can gee us up and dish out a few b*llockings when necessary (e.g. the constant stream of attacks coming down our left side on Saturday which we did nothing to stop), and a strong captain who does the same. One of the only things we're missing at the moment IMO, we've certainly got the midfield/attacking options to cause trouble at the right end. I miss seeing Ziggy geeing up the fans at the end of every game, win or lose, as well.

Agreed. Alex was passionate and that's something we need, someone to get involved with the supporters all the time, not just when we're winning. Speaking about passion, don't know if it's for the best or not? According to the Daily Mail it looks like Gattuso is seriously throwing his hat into the ring when you read his comments!
Accies999
Seaside Leagues

Postby Thethirdproclaimer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:26 am

Hopefully it's all coming from his side, as opposed to ours. There are much better, more experienced managers out of a job who know the current state of the Scottish game a lot better than he does.
Thethirdproclaimer

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives