Accies V St Johnston~ Match Thead

Old match day threads will be moved here

Re: Accies V St Johnstone ~ Match Thead

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:18 am

Willie Wastle wrote:Disappointing after we were the better side in the first half and deservedly ahead. Brilliant goal by Docherty. I really enjoyed the first half, two teams trying to play football, and we were better.

Second half we were second best throughout, and over the piece probably deserved to lose. Credit to St Johnstone for their tactical changes, gritty comeback, and better conversion of chances.

I don't hold with criticism of Bingham. He's no poacher, but he's excellent at receiving all sorts of difficult balls, killing them stone dead, and holding possession while the midfield rushes forward. Reminds me of George McCluskey in his pomp, but with added pace. He's like an old fashioned inside forward who needs to play with a strong, goal-scoring centre forward, but we just don't have that type of player. There's no point criticising Bingham for not being something he's never claimed to be.

It's a hard shift on the road. We need to start to salvage the odd point from games like that. But today reminded me why I don't go to many away games - extra effort for less return. Still, good value at the family gate, good view (unlike all the grounds where we're behind the goal), decent food, some good football to watch, and almost a good result. Almost.

He's like a George McCluskey lol. Sorry beasty scored goals and never tripped over his own feet. Bingham is like an old fashioned matt Patterson. Absolute shite.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Re: Accies V St Johnston~ Match Thead

Postby Euan » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:48 am

George McCluskey was possibly the most skilled natural footballer I've had the pleasure of watching wearing the hoops. The only thing he lacked (even at his best) was pace. His close control and finishing were great and he could hold up the ball well.
Bingham has loads of pace but lacks the close control and finishing to be a good striker. His strength is running onto through balls when we're count attacking, but often his finishing lets him down.
I don't have a problem with him in the team for now, as that's the level we're at, but if we're to progress we need a better striker.
I'd play Boyd to let him develop y espero que Rojano es el hombre.
Euan
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:11 pm

I've defended Rakish on multiple occasions and he does get a lot of flak, despite being given really shit balls a lot of the time, however he had 2 REALLY good chances that any competent striker should have slotted away with ease, all he had to do was lift it over the keeper.
Both sides had multiple chances, replacing Sarris with Donati was not the best of moves, considering how slow Donati also is, although he looks a lot more comfortable on the ball, it was good to see him back, although I'd much prefer Donati as a holding midfielder role, instead of CB.
Gogic and Mackinnon were stand outs for me, giving it their all and really doing the dirty work when needed. I much prefer Gogic over Mcmann on the left side.

Dougie Imrie *my favourite player of 2016* is declining at such a rapid pace I don't know what to say anymore, his once infinite gas tank looks to have left him along with the ability to string more than one pass out of 10. I thought he should've been the one to come off, not Louis, at least Louis was getting into attacking positions, Imrie looked visibly knackered and his one dimensional left foot approach is easy work for most defenders. Let's also remember Daz will now miss a game due to Dougie's lazy pass to him, when we NEEDED THE BALL UP THE PITCH.

Positives? We didn't get pumped, got to see young Botti debut finally, not enough on the ball to judge.

Negatives? Gifting/losing from set pieces/crosses, the canning curse continues. St J were just like Hearts, right for the taking, again though, Canning was not able to adjust to the half time change from St Johnstone and they punished us.

Overall I thought we were the better team in the first half, St J were able to make tactical changes and you could see the change of the game, whilst Canning made no alterations or instructions to his team.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:54 pm

If Imrie was your favourite player of 2016 then I worry about you. Been an undroppable passenger for the whole of last and start of this season.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:19 pm

Agreed.
There comes a time when it's not enough that you give your all and have a great attitude.
The legs just go.
Fact of life unfortunately.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 am

For a short time Alex Ferguson used to give Strachan an hour and tell him not to conserve any energy - he'll be coming off then. On Saturday he covered so much ground but fell apart at the end. On Friday night we might well need Imrie but if he was told 60 minutes max then he can put his all into it. Is there any chance of a MacKinnon appeal since Gogic was there
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Colombian Boffin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:59 am

Bluesy wrote:For a short time Alex Ferguson used to give Strachan an hour and tell him not to conserve any energy - he'll be coming off then. On Saturday he covered so much ground but fell apart at the end. On Friday night we might well need Imrie but if he was told 60 minutes max then he can put his all into it. Is there any chance of a MacKinnon appeal since Gogic was there

That makes a lot of sense - nice to see you on the telly... pity your joy didn't last...
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:54 pm

Hope the appeal process is a lot quicker than the Home Office work permit process.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Scott18 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:48 pm

Accies will not be appealing the red card so he misses Rangers game :(
Scott18
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bluesy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:59 pm

Colombian Boffin wrote:
Bluesy wrote:For a short time Alex Ferguson used to give Strachan an hour and tell him not to conserve any energy - he'll be coming off then. On Saturday he covered so much ground but fell apart at the end. On Friday night we might well need Imrie but if he was told 60 minutes max then he can put his all into it. Is there any chance of a MacKinnon appeal since Gogic was there

That makes a lot of sense - nice to see you on the telly... pity your joy didn't last...

Was that on sportscene? I couldn't bring myself to watch it.
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:53 pm

If we appeal it might mean he’d become available for the Sevco game but if we lost the appeal he’d then miss the Motherwell match anyway and I’d rather have him free to play then
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:10 pm

Scotty Tunbridge wrote:If Imrie was your favourite player of 2016 then I worry about you. Been an undroppable passenger for the whole of last and start of this season.

Really? Dougie had a great 2015/16 season. He had undeniable fight. His legs started to go last season but he still fought till the end. This season however he has admittedly been a liability at times. Dougie wasn't rotten all of last season, look at his performance in the second leg Vs Dundee Utd, absolutely gutsy and I feel people may have short memories. For the record, he was our 3rd highest scorer, equal with Rakish, our 2nd highest scorer in 2015/2016
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:09 pm

He was excellent in 2015/16 and really picked up at he end of last season. He really came onto a game when playing as an inside forward in the 4-3-3 as he was relieved of doing too much defensive work. Playing as a wing-back can suit him once in a while, but he doesn’t have the legs anymore to do it 38 times a season. Games when we’re playing away or on the back foot constantly don’t suit him either.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:28 pm

accies1874 wrote:He was excellent in 2015/16 and really picked up at he end of last season. He really came onto a game when playing as an inside forward in the 4-3-3 as he was relieved of doing too much defensive work. Playing as a wing-back can suit him once in a while, but he doesn’t have the legs anymore to do it 38 times a season. Games when we’re playing away or on the back foot constantly don’t suit him either.

Exactly mate, seems people have very short memories. I still think he can contribute outwith a wingback role.
judgeflash
Premiership

Previous

Return to Match Day Archives