Transfer Thread 2017/18

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Transfer Thread 2017/18

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:21 pm

Correct Ye Olde
Still a Club record to this day.
Fee was paid in Euros to Sigma Olomuc.
If people like Davidson ,(Les Gray?) have their way that fee will never be beaten.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:48 pm

Davidson1874 wrote:100k on a player, are you high??

Do you seriously believe we have that kind of money? Also what wages would a 100k player demand? On what length of contract? Would it guarantee us top flight football, if not does said player get released or would there be a clause in his contract that they take a wage drop? If at the end of the contract do you think we could continue to offer improved terms or do you think we would get gazumped and get no return in our outlay??

Before anyone says it... yes I know we are going to receive 250k for being in the top league but so is each of our competitors. The only difference being they sell thousands of season tickets where we sell a few hundred. Their weekly gate receipts will dwarf ours, meaning they are a more attractive club for businesses to advertise with all in all this means they are wealthier more attractive option than us.

It has been discussed to death that r have weaknesses in marketing and public relations but until we get these areas sorted the money we do generate from player sales and UEFA bonuses is most likely required to supplement gate revenues to maintain the level of squad we do have therefor the funds won't be there to improve the squad remarkably!!

Right ye are Leslie get back in yer kennel.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Davidson1874 wrote:It has been discussed to death that r have weaknesses in marketing and public relations but until we get these areas sorted the money we do generate from player sales and UEFA bonuses is most likely required to supplement gate revenues to maintain the level of squad we do have therefor the funds won't be there to improve the squad remarkably!!

Discussed to death? Yes! Has anything actually been done about it? No!

It's terrible we are 10 years behind other clubs on social media particularity.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Begs.hafc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Wow. Are there people on here that actually think that we should be bidding hundreds of thousands of pounds on players? How many times does Les Gray have to say they have a business model and they won't stray away from it? That's not me rolling over and accepting it,that is reality I'm afraid.
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bomber Harris » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Begs.hafc wrote:Wow. Are there people on here that actually think that we should be bidding hundreds of thousands of pounds on players? How many times does Les Gray have to say they have a business model and they won't stray away from it? That's not me rolling over and accepting it,that is reality I'm afraid.

This business model you speak of only seemed to kick in when Alex Neil left the club. What's happened to the mcgovern's, Andreu's, Tena's ect ect? Now we have agents sending absolute dross on training camps hoping a deal can be done, Richard Roy for example given a contract paid a weekly wage and was the worst footballer I've ever seen yet we give him a premiership contact. Nico Sumsky another example of this excellent Les Gray business model Mandiangu another I could go on. The business model went tits up when Alex Neil left. Someone prove me wrong.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Davidson1874 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:37 pm

250k for Thomas Cerny who left the club for sweet F.A (regardless of how he was treated after he refused a new contract) as better money was being offered elsewhere.

We would all be delighted to sign a goal scorer for 100k but every club is after the same thing and 100k won't guarantee goals (see joe garner @ 1.6 million)

While none of us will know how much income we generate every season from gates, merchandise (laughs) tv deals etc I would expect that the running costs of the club exceed our income revenue.

If recent incoming transfer fees are required to balance the books (keep us cash positive) then I would rather know we are in a safe state as opposed to blowing it on a player that still could leave a la Cerny.

While the leaflet drops and season ticket prices etc are to be applauded the club still needs to do an awful lot of work to get bums on seats, our average home gate must be at least a thousand short if killie Motherwell etc

Do the maths if they have 1000 extra punters made up of 500 adults paying £22 and 500 kids paying £10

That's £16k in gate money alone 18 or 19 times a year!! Plus match day sales on pies, scarfs, programmes etc

Is it really any wonder we are consistently beaten to our targets?

BH has a valid point Alex Neil's recruitment of foreign players who had played here was a success and in my opinion should be our target area if cherry picking talent from the league(s) below
Davidson1874
Pub League

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:26 pm

Obviously some of the contributors on here are unable to think outside the box a little.
Unable to comprehend that spending a little cash can actually sometimes turn into a sound investment.
Louis Moult, Liam Boyce,anyone?
Ross County also paid a nominal fee for Jackson Irvine and sold him for big money to Burton Albion.
Feck the model!
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Davidson1874 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:35 pm

No issue with thinking outside the box. If we did have 100k to spend I would rather see the money spent partially on a scout(s) and decent wage packages. I.e 5 players on 60k per year opposed to 5 players on 40k per year would (or whatever the wage structure may be) would increase the quality of player that we are able to attract. Giving us 5 better players (in theory) than we currently have opposed to spending the full amount on improving 1 position.

How many targets do we lose out on due to them getting offered better deals elsewhere? This weakens us and strengthens rivals. If we have £ I would rather see it spent wisely.
Davidson1874
Pub League

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:50 pm

Member one summer we went mental and put in pish bids for Jamie Murphy, Scott Arfield and Craig Bryson and got laughed at because they were all below 100k
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby Begs.hafc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm not saying I agree with Les,but he calls the shots and he ain't gonnae change. It's not what us fans want but he will claim it is working as we have stayed up again.
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bomber Harris » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:52 pm

Davidson1874 wrote:No issue with thinking outside the box. If we did have 100k to spend I would rather see the money spent partially on a scout(s) and decent wage packages. I.e 5 players on 60k per year opposed to 5 players on 40k per year would (or whatever the wage structure may be) would increase the quality of player that we are able to attract. Giving us 5 better players (in theory) than we currently have opposed to spending the full amount on improving 1 position.

How many targets do we lose out on due to them getting offered better deals elsewhere? This weakens us and strengthens rivals. If we have £ I would rather see it spent wisely.

How many teams up here do you think had heard of Marvin Johnson from Kidderminster harriers apart from motherwell? probably none. That's the difference never messed about offered a better contract than the one he was on and hey presto 1 year later 700k profit same goes with Louis Moult from Wrexham. 5k paid contact offered and looks like moving on for big money. Now that's a business model. We should have a scouting system in that conference rather than this nonsense of crap agents getting there crap players trials at accies.
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Begs.hafc » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:19 pm

So we should follow the Motherwell model now?did you see them last season? Didn't they sign any players that turned out to be shit?
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby Davidson1874 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:23 pm

Exactly my point BH, if we have spare cash there are areas such as scouting that need strengthened or even created before we spend money on transfer fees.
Davidson1874
Pub League

Postby Bomber Harris » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:06 am

Begs.hafc wrote:So we should follow the Motherwell model now?did you see them last season? Didn't they sign any players that turned out to be shit?

We've not made a penny since Tony Andreu ffs. Motherwell are bringing players up from the conference paying them 700 quid a week and making a 700k profit from it. What part of a business sense from that can't you see begs? The season b4 they where top 6. We're throwing money at Roy, seaborne, Mandiangu, Diaby, Breslin and paying them a contracted wage. We signed Blair Adams In January on a 18 month contract and tore it up in may and cost us money to pay him off. Motherwell weather you like it or not are making money on players, we are not. That's what I would call a business model. fucking wake up
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:17 am

Great points you make Bomber H.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby PrideOfLanarkshire » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:26 am

As the staff and players are now back from the training camp lets hope we do some business at the start of next week in preparation for EK.

We really need players who will come straight into the 1st team, with this season due to be the hardest of the lot.
PrideOfLanarkshire
Championship

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:18 am

Yep every man and his dog seems to realize the urgency of getting players in except the people who can do something about it.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:47 am

Releasing Blair Adams seems an act of folly now with Skondras away. He wasn't great but how many games did he get? Sometimes players need a bit of time in a new country to adjust to the style of play. He had two good season in the English third tier, in terms of appearances anyway so there is clearly a player in there. Will we pick up anyone better before next Saturday? That's when the season starts Accies, not 5th August as you tweeted recently.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby AlMac » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:49 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:Releasing Blair Adams seems an act of folly now with Skondras away. He wasn't great but how many games did he get? Sometimes players need a bit of time in a new country to adjust to the style of play. He had two good season in the English third tier, in terms of appearances anyway so there is clearly a player in there. Will we pick up anyone better before next Saturday? That's when the season starts Accies, not 5th August as you tweeted recently.

Adams has signed for Hartlepool, who are now in the 5th tier of English football following their relegation from League 2. I thought he looked ok, but it would appear that not many other teams rated him either.....
AlMac
Seaside Leagues

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:53 pm

I very naevely thought this close season would be different.
Thought Gray and his cohorts would have got a little 'jolt' from the pressure of being in the play off final and adopted a slightly different strategy (i.e signing players)
Give the squad the best possible chance to get off to a flier in 2017/18.
Should have known better
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

PreviousNext

Return to The Accies