Likely hood of the new manager

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Likely hood of the new manager

Postby NathanBreen19 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:32 pm

Now obviously you can't think big for the new Accies manager but I was thinking about Paul Hartley. He done a great job for Dundee before he went on a bad spell and played for Hamilton. Could be a good pick but discuss what you think.
NathanBreen19
Pub League

Re: Likely hood of the new manager

Postby Laid-back Accie » Wed May 31, 2017 12:47 am

Canning is definitely staying for the foreseeable future, so is there really any point in talking about this?

In regards to Hartley, Can't say I would take him, he seems to struggle in the premiership, and that's on a bigger budget than what Accies would give him.
Laid-back Accie
Pub League

Postby Willie Wastle » Wed May 31, 2017 6:12 am

Paul Hartley?

Are you serious?

Have a word with yourself.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Euan » Wed May 31, 2017 7:11 am

I'd have thought him a good appointment 3 years ago, when he'd done a good job at Alloa. He's signed some good players, easy given his budget, but failed to produce a good consistent team. I'd rather stick with Canning.
Euan
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Wed May 31, 2017 11:34 am

Les Gray described him as a "chequebook Manager".Not a guy who has a track record of bringing youth through,so he would never be entertained here.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Wed May 31, 2017 11:59 am

This is a pointless thread. a quick google search or at least keeping up with the comments from our board over the past 2 years will show that they are sticking with Canning. Win lose or relegation. End of story.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:37 pm

Presenting any Accies manager with a cheque book would be akin to giving Boris Johnson a comb.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby ColinS » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:43 pm

There will be no new manager. MC has kept us up and I believe he has learned a lot this year so hopefully he will be in a better place to do a better job next year.
Absolutely need a decent striker. As Les said earlier in the season he has tried to sign a few last year but our targets get pinched by other cubs. Dont know how we deal with that.
C'mon the Accies
Keep on believing
ColinS
Pub League

Postby Bomber Harris » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:19 pm

ColinS wrote:There will be no new manager. MC has kept us up and I believe he has learned a lot this year so hopefully he will be in a better place to do a better job next year.
Absolutely need a decent striker. As Les said earlier in the season he has tried to sign a few last year but our targets get pinched by other cubs. Dont know how we deal with that.

Anyone who believed Les at that forum probably still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Yummy Fur » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:45 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:
ColinS wrote:There will be no new manager. MC has kept us up and I believe he has learned a lot this year so hopefully he will be in a better place to do a better job next year.

Anyone who believed Les at that forum probably still believes in Santa and the tooth fairy.

Just like anyone who believed that we could win a 2 legged play off was deluded.

I don't see any evidence to doubt what was said at that forum.
Yummy Fur
Seaside Leagues

Postby porcupine » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:34 pm

Les said he thought we would stay up (at the forum). I was sceptical too, given the results we were having. I also have little doubt that there were many attempts to sign players (within our strict prudent wages policy) and that most fell through. One incident brought out sufficient venom from Les Gray on the way Accies had been treated just the previous day to the fans meeting.

MC has had a vertical learning curve in the last two years and will be there next season without a doubt. We will continue to try to find the odd gem from the dross. Gogic and Skondras are excellent examples of that, amongst some real duds, particularly at the start of last season. It may not be the most pleasant spectator sport on too many occassions, but we are never likely to hear Administration or Receivership in the same sentence as Hamilton Academical.

Remember, doubters, that Falkirk and Dundee United would give their eye teeth to be in our situation for Season 2017/18!
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Burst Baws » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:19 pm

We are punching above our weight, the model has worked, Canning is a success.
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Excellent post, porcupine. Next season will be tough again. Tenth and a fifth successive season would be a success (though a cup semi final would be nice too) but that will inevitably mean many defeats. Let's not try to over react after every one. We do punch above our weight and we shouldn't have to apologise for saying it. Our crowds are dire. It will be interesting to see the Season Ticket prices as making them ridiculously cheap (for most, not all!) did nothing to tempt the crowds back. And if folk say it's the Canning effect, our first Alex Neil Premier crowd against Inverness was barely over 1600.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby WAC » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:43 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:Excellent post, porcupine. Next season will be tough again. Tenth and a fifth successive season would be a success (though a cup semi final would be nice too) but that will inevitably mean many defeats. Let's not try to over react after every one. We do punch above our weight and we shouldn't have to apologise for saying it. Our crowds are dire. It will be interesting to see the Season Ticket prices as making them ridiculously cheap (for most, not all!) did nothing to tempt the crowds back. And if folk say it's the Canning effect, our first Alex Neil Premier crowd against Inverness was barely over 1600.

Our crowds are visibly down from the Neil era . Accies can make up whatever numbers they like .
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bomber Harris » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:53 am

Burst Baws wrote:We are punching above our weight, the model has worked, Canning is a success.

4th season now in the top flight is hardly punching above our weight now is it :roll: Pretty safe to say we're holding our own now punching at a weight we should be. A couple of good signings ie skondras, a good striker and a centre half I would put money on us staying for a 5th. With Gogic, Sarris, Temps and Bingham on board we have the potential to finish mid table safely. Even tho the season has just finished I'm pretty much excited about the next one.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:29 am

I share your idea that with those players and Skondras, we should be able to compete against all others in the bottom six places, with a settled team, plus a couple of additions. (goal scorer and defender).
porcupine
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:50 am

WAC wrote:
Stevie Clarke wrote:Excellent post, porcupine. Next season will be tough again. Tenth and a fifth successive season would be a success (though a cup semi final would be nice too) but that will inevitably mean many defeats. Let's not try to over react after every one. We do punch above our weight and we shouldn't have to apologise for saying it. Our crowds are dire. It will be interesting to see the Season Ticket prices as making them ridiculously cheap (for most, not all!) did nothing to tempt the crowds back. And if folk say it's the Canning effect, our first Alex Neil Premier crowd against Inverness was barely over 1600.

Our crowds are visibly down from the Neil era . Accies can make up whatever numbers they like .

Why would they make up such a poor crowd in what was out first match back since 2011? In Alex Neil's first full season, we won four and drew one of our first five matches. The next match was at home to Cowdenbeath and the crowd was 817.

The second home game of 14/15 was against St Johnstone and the crowd was a pathetic 1,577. Do you think Accies wouldn't have liked the crowd to be over 2,000? I've got the dvd of matches from that season that I recorded from Sportscene, Alba etc and you can see that the crowds under Neil were dreadful to begin with. The next home game was against Ross County and the club, obviously embarrassed by the crowds, had some special offer that day, I can't remember exactly what it was and they were rewarded by a much larger crowd of 2,684. We then went top for the first time and got 2,604 against Killie. Crowds stayed high after that with Accies in positions 1-5 until Neil left.

I would concede that I think the Inverness home crowd of this season, the midweek 3-0 win, was embellished a fair bit. Maybe one or two others too. Perhaps counting every season ticket holder, which I'm told they do not do, on a couple of occasions to prevent releasing a crowd just over 1,000 to the media.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Burst Baws » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:50 pm

Bomber Harris wrote:
Burst Baws wrote:We are punching above our weight, the model has worked, Canning is a success.

4th season now in the top flight is hardly punching above our weight now is it :roll: Pretty safe to say we're holding our own now punching at a weight we should be. A couple of good signings ie skondras, a good striker and a centre half I would put money on us staying for a 5th. With Gogic, Sarris, Temps and Bingham on board we have the potential to finish mid table safely. Even tho the season has just finished I'm pretty much excited about the next one.

Clubs with bigger fan bases and budgets continue to go down or fail to go up so I'd say we are still punching above our weight. It's being able to attract half decent signings where again we are not an attractive proposition to many that will be hard but and I'm amazed that we secured Templeton and agree that Skondras and Gogic look great prospects.

I'm mildly optimistic about next year
Burst Baws
Seaside Leagues

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:33 pm

Getting pretty sick of this punching above our weight pish now.
If I wanted boxing terminology I'd be into the "sport of Kings" but I much prefer the beautiful game.
As mentioned,we are now entering our 4th consecutive top flight season and as such should be ditching all the lowest budget and smallest crowds garbage.
We're not THAT much smaller than a few of our rivals for God's sake.
Ross County are thriving and they play in Emmerdale!
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:09 pm

Amoutahere1874 wrote:If I wanted boxing terminology I'd be into the "sport of Kings" but I much prefer the beautiful game.

Horse racing is the sport of kings
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Next

Return to The Accies