Canning - most successful Accies manager?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Canning - most successful Accies manager?

Postby Working for Cunard » Sun May 28, 2017 10:09 pm

Canning has now secured 3 seasons in the SPL. Does that make him the most successful manager in Accies history?
Working for Cunard
Seaside Leagues

Re: Canning - most successful Accies manager?

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:19 pm

No
Geordie Miller was Accies most successful manager by a country mile.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby Colombian Boffin » Mon May 29, 2017 10:35 am

Surely it can't be denied that Martin is Accies' most successful post WW2 manager?
Colombian Boffin
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon May 29, 2017 12:34 pm

I'm very aware that, had we lost yesterday, a number of posters on here would be calling for his head - in no uncertain terms.

Well, I don't see how you can have it both ways. If Martin was to take the blame if we were relegated, surely he deserves some credit that we've survived?

He hasn't taken us to 7th place in the SPL as Billy Reid did, and he hasn't had us in the top six for any significant period of time, as Alex Neil did during his half season. But it's a statistical fact that he has been in charge in three seasons that we've stayed up, a full two of which he was in sole charge. That makes him our most successful post-war manager.

It's also a vindication of the club policy of promoting from within. Suppose, as some wanted, we'd bought in a bigger name, like, say Paul Hartley (being touted as recently as two weeks ago)? We could be down.

Well done, Martin Canning!
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby ggr » Mon May 29, 2017 1:39 pm

Well done Martin and Boozy. A terrific achievement.
Unlike all other Accies managers, Martin did not get the chance to learn his trade in the lower divisions, but was thrown in at the deep end.
In many ways he's still learning, but Accies will be all the better for the experience over the past few seasons. We're still going to be the smallest club in the league, and will likely lose more games than we win, but we need to be patient and not over-react when we lose.
ggr
Pub League

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Mon May 29, 2017 3:16 pm

Statistically the late,great,Larkhall's finest Geordie Miller will take a bit of shifting as Accies best boss ever.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon May 29, 2017 4:28 pm

Willie Wastle wrote:I'm very aware that, had we lost yesterday, a number of posters on here would be calling for his head - in no uncertain terms.

Well, I don't see how you can have it both ways. If Martin was to take the blame if we were relegated, surely he deserves some credit that we've survived?

He hasn't taken us to 7th place in the SPL as Billy Reid did, and he hasn't had us in the top six for any significant period of time, as Alex Neil did during his half season. But it's a statistical fact that he has been in charge in three seasons that we've stayed up, a full two of which he was in sole charge. That makes him our most successful post-war manager.

It's also a vindication of the club policy of promoting from within. Suppose, as some wanted, we'd bought in a bigger name, like, say Paul Hartley (being touted as recently as two weeks ago)? We could be down.

Well done, Martin Canning!

Sorry mate you're wrong, we finished 7th place in 2014/2015 under Canning *whilst neil was in charge till december*

As much as we may not want to admit it, if he keeps us up next season he will surely go down as one of the greatest managers we've had, as we are now about to enjoy our longest spell in the top flight for nearly 100 years.
Whilst he may not be fully in charge of our recruitment, Gogic, Skondras, Templeton, Bingham *to an extent* and Sarris have more than proven their worth. Compared to the fucking drivel we have had the past 2 seasons recruited.

Let's do it all again next year, except with Dundee and Ross County going down thanks ;)
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon May 29, 2017 4:32 pm

Amoutahere1874 wrote:Statistically the late,great,Larkhall's finest Geordie Miller will take a bit of shifting as Accies best boss ever.

Caretaker manager twice. That's a bit desperate. Can you not give the man any credit?
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby WAC » Mon May 29, 2017 5:26 pm

GRAY needs to back his man in the transfer market and sign a couple of quality players . I've always said this squad would be pushing for top 6 with a proper striker .
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon May 29, 2017 5:50 pm

WAC wrote:GRAY needs to back his man in the transfer market and sign a couple of quality players . I've always said this squad would be pushing for top 6 with a proper striker .

D'Acol has done pretty well, Bingham not so good but neither has had many chances. We surely need a bit more creativity from midfield. Maybe Templeton wide like an old fashioned winger with two up top but that would require a very strong midfield three maybe physically strong and we're too wee with Ali, Danny and Greg.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon May 29, 2017 5:59 pm

WAC wrote:GRAY needs to back his man in the transfer market and sign a couple of quality players . I've always said this squad would be pushing for top 6 with a proper striker .

Maybe we should sniff at Nicky Clarke again 8-)
I know many have been hard on D'Acol/Bingham, but they have had some of the poorest service all season long. If we are going to invest in a striker, we need to get a playmaker who can give them a chance.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:29 pm

Yeah I'll give Canning credit.
Well done Martin.
Incidentally,The late,great Geordie Miller is statistically the greatest Accies manager ever.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon May 29, 2017 9:23 pm

Amoutahere1874 wrote:Yeah I'll give Canning credit.
Well done Martin.
Incidentally,The late,great Geordie Miller is statistically the greatest Accies manager ever.

You cannot base win/loss on lower level of competition. Whilst MC win/loss ratio is garbage, we are STILL a premiership side, again.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby Amoutahere1874 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:31 pm

Great point.
Statistically Geordie Miller is the best ever manager of HAFC.
Amoutahere1874
Premiership

Return to The Accies