So where are we going to finish

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

So where are we going to finish

Postby smc4761 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:40 pm

After the sambles of yesterday and other teams picking up good wins, with 4 games to go, where are we going to finish.

I think Inverness have gone and much as I hate saying this I think we will finish 11th. I expect Dundee Utd to finish second in Championship and win the paly off place. With the lure of a Dundee derby I think that will be enough to put us down
smc4761
Premiership

Re: So where are we going to finish

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm

We are in the mix with our rivals but we are in better form than most of them and are getting towards a full squad. So we are in there fighting.

Re the championship it's really a guess but Falkirk have it in their own hands to finish second and that's a huge advantage. United are a big team but they are not as big as their reputation.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:11 pm

Shambles ? Hardly.

Wonder save from their keeper in the first minute was a massive save. Up until their goal we were comfortable and they offered nothing from open play. We got undone with a very clever corner routine for the 1st and a cheap flick on for jones to steal in and score from a free kick for the 2nd that was cheaply given away leading from when sarris passed the ball out the park with no one near him.

Kilmarnock defending a 2 goal lead we were always going to struggle especially when they launched everything to Boyd. Only once did their keeper play out from the back and that was from an Accies free kick he caught and threw to the full back half way through the 2nd half.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Euan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:39 pm

I don't think we'll lose next week at ICT, but if we don't win it leaves the following Saturday at home to Motherwell as probably the most important game in the post split sequence as I really don't want to face Dundee in the last game needing a win. 4 points from the next 2 and one other draw should see us avoid the playoffs with a better goal difference than Motherwell.
Euan
Premiership

Postby WAC » Mon May 01, 2017 8:30 am

I think we need Kilmarnock and county to beat Dundee and Motherwell with us beating Inverness and beating 1 of Dundee and Motherwell .

It will be a merry go round for 11th place all of us will be in it in the next few weeks .
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby Willie Wastle » Mon May 01, 2017 11:08 am

Looks like ICT are gone. If we win up there on Saturday we finish above them.

So it's coming down to us, Dundee or Motherwell for the play-off place. It could really be any one of the three of us, so one way of looking at it is we have 2 chances in 3 of avoiding the play-offs. We need to win a game - 3 points will make a huge difference to our status, as Kilmarnock and Ross County found at the weekend. Four points in the next two games would see us more comfortably placed, especially if Dundee get back to losing ways v Killie and County; win our next two and I think we're safe.

I think the worst case scenario is now the one posed by Euan, that we have to win our last game at home to Dundee. I'd fancy our chances of the win, but it's not a scenario we want, as already-down ICT may have to do us a favour v Motherwell in their last game. Much better for us to get points over the next two games. If County are safe by the time we play them in the penultimate game, we may force a result, but I've got that down as a loss, so the next two are vital.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Mon May 01, 2017 3:53 pm

11th
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby Bluesy » Mon May 01, 2017 6:05 pm

If not 11th who will finish below us?
Bluesy
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon May 01, 2017 6:40 pm

Can't believe after a season full of absolute certainty from some that we will be bottom, that no one has gone for 12th ? :roll:
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby WAC » Mon May 01, 2017 7:28 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:Can't believe after a season full of absolute certainty from some that we will be bottom, that no one has gone for 12th ? :roll:

We lose on Saturday and it will be very much possible
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:40 pm

WAC wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:Can't believe after a season full of absolute certainty from some that we will be bottom, that no one has gone for 12th ? :roll:

We lose on Saturday and it will be very much possible

And last week you thought we were almost save.

My point was more about the limitations of predicted certainty ;)
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Thu May 04, 2017 1:05 pm

Where are we going to finish?

Almost certainly one of the positions from 9th to 11th, although it's still arithmetically possible for us to finish higher or lower.

Probably 10th.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Ideally, we beat Well and Inverness win at Killie. That then puts the fear up Well, who may well win in the midweek while we lose at County. Redmond's goal could still be important, as long as we keep a couple of goals ahead of Well then any win over Dundee on the final day should see us safe. Saturday is the all-time must not lose match though.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Euan » Sun May 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Agreed, our best option is ICT getting close to Motherwell for the final game with Dundee getting points so they've nothing to play for on the last day as we will need at least a point now, after having got into a good position pre-split.
It's going to be tense on Saturday, a win would mean so much. Here's hoping.
Euan
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Sun May 07, 2017 9:39 pm

We quite simply have to win 2 games, and our best bets are now in the two home games. Winning the next two, potentially leaving us safe in time for the final day, would be nice though. Can we not do something the easy way for once?
accies1874
Premiership

Postby Scotty Tunbridge » Mon May 08, 2017 10:34 am

Dundee absolutely hate us though enough that their players send our players abusive tweets after the Morten game. so even if they have literally nothing to play for on the last day they will still be going all out to win. Also McCann will want to win every game he can to give him a better chance of getting the job permanently if he wants it. So I really want everything to be wrapped up before that game.
Scotty Tunbridge
Championship

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Mon May 08, 2017 12:04 pm

In my opinion we'll finish 11th, just above Caley and no more. Where are we going to pick up points in the last three games? Despite having decent enough players in most positions (with the exception of CB and the wings), we've looked the worst team in the division for a long time now. We've just been lucky that Caley's form has been dire too. The way I see it;

- Dundee have a new manager and he's getting the players they have, who are of a decent standard for our league, to play. They're not conceding too many and the have a dangerous couple of strikers. They'll beat us on the last day regardless.
- Motherwell can't defend but they can score goals, they're obviously our best hope of getting above and avoiding 11th. But I think they'll draw with us at NDP.
- We're absolute garbage at the back, and don't look a threat at all going forward. Imrie has been 'off form' (to put it politely) all season. Bingham is an utter imposter wherever he plays, and Sarris and Devlin are not a partnership. Sarris in particular is absolutely dire, no pace, no positional sense and no ability on the ball. Why is he playing?

We need maybe two wins, maybe a win and a draw. Where are we going to get them?! I've sat this season at almost every game and thought things would turn out ok, that we've got a decent squad and can't continue to play as poorly over a whole season. I've been quite positive about it, despite my belief that MC hasn't improved in any way since the Thistle game last season. But it's now got exactly like the final BR season, all of a sudden it dawns on you that in reality this team are on a downward spiral, and it's all just a bit disappointing.

So if we're lucky, and Caley go back to their previous form (and they were rubbish on Saturday, but our defence made them look good going forward), we'll be 11th. A playoff against Falkirk, Dundee Utd or Morton? Total lottery.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Mon May 08, 2017 1:00 pm

And yet it's just two games ago that we were on a run of three clean sheets in four and only one goal conceded. Sarris was absolutely outstanding at Fir Park and Devlin was doing well too. McMann has to take responsibility for their first on Saturday, Bingham almost cost us another and Donati obviously to blame for the penalty. I didn't watch the match so can't comment on how solid we looked. I'm guessing, not very! Is the lad Tierney not ready for a start? Could he not be a better option than Bingham played out of position? He'll need to do something as the same team again will lose to Well.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm

Regarding looking like the worst team for a long while - well the current table shows that is not really true over the season; but even looking at form tables over the last 10 or 6 games we are mid table in them both. Doesn't hide that we have been poor in the last 2 games; but the point remains we are fighting with others to stay in this league and despite a good 5 months (or more) of 'we are already relegated' certainties from some we still are in the mix.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Mon May 08, 2017 10:40 pm

We do look like the worst team though, other than Caley. I'm not talking about statistically, statistically we beat Aberdeen 1-0 at home but anyone who was there knows 9 out of 10 times you lose that game heavily. The season til now is finished with, we need performances from every player in THESE games, and in the split so far we've been honking. In my opinion, at this crucial stage of the season we look the worst bar one team (Well) at the back, and the worst going forward including Caley.

As it happens I generally agree with you on most things, and am certainly not a vocal critic of the manager and players. Not every post has to include a dig at other people though, it seems like to post here now you need to be on one side or the other, no middle ground is allowed.

What I've seen for 30-odd games this season has been absolutely garbage to watch, and that was really my only point. Yes, we're still in the mix, and I'm desperate for us to stay up, but with every week it seems less likely to me that we will. Hopefully we get the result from somewhere on Saturday though and we can maybe look forward to a more relaxed summer.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Next

Return to The Accies