So where are we going to finish

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: So where are we going to finish

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:45 am

You are right that 2 poor performances on the bounce at this time of the season and with an almost full squad is a worry. The first half on Saturday cannot be repeated in any way over the next 3 games
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Big Wurzil » Tue May 09, 2017 7:56 am

Stevie Clarke wrote:And yet it's just two games ago that we were on a run of three clean sheets in four and only one goal conceded. Sarris was absolutely outstanding at Fir Park and Devlin was doing well too. McMann has to take responsibility for their first on Saturday, Bingham almost cost us another and Donati obviously to blame for the penalty. I didn't watch the match so can't comment on how solid we looked. I'm guessing, not very! Is the lad Tierney not ready for a start? Could he not be a better option than Bingham played out of position? He'll need to do something as the same team again will lose to Well.

From what I saw of tierney v Celtic last week he's not threatening the first team anytime soon.

We need to create chances. No point having someone in there who doesn't get a sniff. How many chances has da'col had in the last few games ?? Not very many.

The question is is da'col in the positions and just not getting the ball or is he too busy coming away from goal?
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 am

I think the only time we ever look a threat is when the ball is central, and our midfielders are looking to get a shot away. Unfortunately we take a split second too long to make a decision, and when we do our shooting is dire. I can't really see an alternative to what we've got if we don't change the formation, we seem to want to work it intricately through the middle but with a 'widemen' formation. How many times do we create a chance from out wide? Hardly ever. Bingham's not a winger (or a footballer really), Donati needs time on the ball he can't have and gets completely done by the 'energy' of midfielders in this league and Dougie might be better suited nowadays to playing up front off a striker. Looking at the squad, we might be better in a 4-1-3-2 and trying to keep the full backs in a defensive position, asking the central midfielders to play a little wider.

Something like;
Woods/Matthews
Skondras Devlin Sarris(ooft) McMann
McKinnon
Crawford Docherty Redmond
Imrie
D'Acol

I know that won't happen though, we'll just have to hope we get a few results going our way over the next 2 weeks. That's all it is though, hope! :|
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 am

I am not convinced we need to change the set up; it's more about getting our keys players on form ie Daz, Ali, Dougie and DAcol. I agree Bingham is not working but not sure Redmond could play out there. Woods is the best keeper and should be starting.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Tue May 09, 2017 11:39 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:it's more about getting our keys players on form

How do we do that? Keep doing the same thing week in, week out and hope it works one day? I don't think it would do any harm to have another way of playing. Warburton at Rangers got absolutely destroyed in the media for not having a plan B. We've been sussed out long ago and it seems like we're hitting our head off a wall a lot of the time, I honestly find it hard to distinguish between games this season. Trying a 'new' formation doesn't mean bin everything that's ever gone before and start again. Surely developing as a footballer/manager, and getting a bit of freshness about our play, wouldn't be a bad thing? It's too late for this season to try it now, but I hope it's something being seriously considered for next season.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby Stevie Clarke » Tue May 09, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm sure Celtic have been "sussed" by now too, but it doesn't make any difference for them. It all comes down to quality of player and we just don't have it. We just have to hope that Motherwell's poor record at NDP continues and that their poor home form carries on for one more game. We might still be the worst ever team to finish tenth!
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 pm

It's easy to be pessimistic on the basis of our last two games: two poor performances and two poor results. But going into those games, we were the form team of the bottom half, *only* needing two wins from our last five games, which looked well do-able.

So which Accies will show up for the remaining three, crucial games? We don't know. Win on Saturday and we're world-beaters again? No, but nor are we certainties for the play-off spot. I will say this: if we win on Saturday, we'll finish above Motherwell, and at least tenth.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Tue May 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Stevie Clarke wrote:I'm sure Celtic have been "sussed" by now too, but it doesn't make any difference for them. It all comes down to quality of player and we just don't have it. We just have to hope that Motherwell's poor record at NDP continues and that their poor home form carries on for one more game. We might still be the worst ever team to finish tenth!

It doesn't make any difference for Celtic because they've got a good manager, that's what their success is down to. We can't be compared to them in any way, no team can at the moment.

I agree we don't have the quality of player required, but I maintain that that doesn't mean we should keep on with a system that doesn't seem to suit the players we do have, and particularly their current poor form. The ability to change things mid-game might give opposition managers something more to think about when they play us, and negate some of the deficiencies that are exposed when we're playing the one way for 90 mins.
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue May 09, 2017 3:11 pm

I think 451 does suit us best for the players we have; like all the systems our competitors use it doesn't always work and sometimes it looks horrendous but that doesn't mean it's not the best or that any alternative would be better. Like all systems they are tweaked more than we think during games but ultimately if we don't win or play better then it's not rated or appreciated. If key players in the relegation teams can turn up this will be a huge factor for whatever team; alongside individuals matching their opponent.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby porcupine » Tue May 09, 2017 8:40 pm

Still think that our play became much better in the last two home games when Danny Redmond came on. TV footage showed in both D'Acols goal and Danny's own at ICT, that he had the calmness and skill to take the ball down and pass it to Alex to score, or on Saturday, to neatly pull the ball round a leg and score himself.

Not saying that he should start, or be capable of out-muscling a big rough defence for 90 minutes, but with changes being suggested in our set-up, I don't think the Well would expecet to see Redmond on until 75 minutes. Perhaps a start, or a much earlier appearance for DR.

Of course, Saturday could be brutal, with both teams needing the three points. A Draw for either is useless. Don't expecet to see 22 players on the pitch at full-time, either.
porcupine
Premiership

Previous

Return to The Accies