Will Ali stay?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Will Ali stay?

Postby NathanBreen19 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:37 pm

Crawford who has played shocking since his injury and not getting his move to Rangers. With his attitude should he stay and who would want to sign him?
NathanBreen19
Pub League

Re: Will Ali stay?

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Somehow I don't think a move to rangers was on the cards. Maybe Accies were tapping him up for the cash.

Crawford has been a luxury 2nd half of the season and has lived off his early season form. He hasn't kicked a ball since sky sports news done their feature on him prior to the Celtic ? Home game in December.

He'd struggle to get in a championship team based on current form. Can't remember the last time him picking the ball up and going and committing defenders. I'd start Redmond before him every time
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby judgeflash » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:48 pm

I said it last season and it's still came true. Teams wisen up to Ali, when we persist in putting him in the centre of the park, his form affects the entire spine of the team. If you watch teams now, they will close him down in twos. Granted, his goals in the first half of this season have REALLY pulled us out of the shit at times. I just don't think his poor form should be rewarded, just like Dougie and his 2 decent games all season, he's barely been benched. I'd prefer mackinnon or Gogic in a centre midfield role if we are going to play this 4-3-3.
I think Ali would be more suited to the likes of Hearts than us, as we need someone with a bit more of fight and physicality in our dimminutive squad.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon May 01, 2017 7:48 am

If Ali is marked by 2 players then others are not making the best of the space that creates.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby WAC » Mon May 01, 2017 8:24 am

Empty shirt . He's not the only 1 tho I have no idea how Bingham is a footballer . Clownzo has not got the balls to drop players .
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby ColinS » Mon May 01, 2017 10:27 am

I think it is in Ali's interest to move on. I have been a fan of his for years but he clearly needs a new challenge. It happens to us all in work at times - you just get into a rut and need a change to bring you on. Ali is a classic example of this. His heart isn't in it at Accies anymore. I wouldn't play him again this season unless he showed a genuine commitment to play at his best. I would play Redmond instead.
RE Dougie, he just doesn't have the legs anymore - his work ethic is a great example to team mates and shows 100% every game but he just doesn't have it at this level which is a shame. Greatest respect to him but you will only get 60mins then should be subbed.
When we have Gogic and McKinnon back next week we will pick up some points but it will go to the wire.
C'mon the Accies
Keep on believing
ColinS
Pub League

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:53 am

Redmond is no replacement for Ali at his best. Comng off the bench suits Danny when the game opens up a bit more but from the start he doesn't have the physical ability to compete. Don't know if he could take Binghams place but not in the middle.

For me there are 4 players whose form will dictate if we hurt teams and beat them ; Ali, Daz, Dougie and DAcol.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby accies1874 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:24 pm

I'd play Ali in Bingham's place. It allows him to play fairly centrally in our system, get close to the striker, and away from the hustle and bustle of midfield. We'd miss Bingham's pace, but there's more chance of Ali actually doing something with the ball, and he wouldn't have to do as much defensive work.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby TheThirdProclaimer » Mon May 01, 2017 1:20 pm

^^ Exactly what I was thinking at the game on Saturday. Not sure why we don't try that - if we're intent on passing the box across the edges of the box constantly, then why not have players in those positions who can make those passes forward rather than looking back into midfield all the time? For what it's worth I'd have Redmond in place of Imrie as well. We're getting nothing from Dougie's one-footedness and obsession with knocking the ball down the line and head down, run-after-it until it goes over the byeline. So frustrating.

The way the team is just now, I'd have

Matthews
Skondras, Devlin, Sarris (even though he's brutal at times), McMann
McKinnon, Donati, Docherty
Crawford, D'Acol, Redmond

Which would leave a bench with Gillespie, Imrie, Bingham, Brophy, Gogic and Longridge. Much better impact off that bench I'd think.

On the original question, if we go down I'd expect him to go, but nothing like the move we've heard rumours of in the past (Championship, Rangers etc). Maybe a Hearts or St J at best. Wouldn't bother me either way if he went, he's been great for us in previous seasons but for the last two he's been poor, and his shooting from open play is diabolical for an attacking midfielder (He's not alone right enough).
TheThirdProclaimer
Seaside Leagues

Postby Euan » Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm

He's playing as if he's only interested in running down his contract, avoiding injury and going through the motions. I wouldn't play him again, unless his attitude vastly improved.
He's been excellent in odd moments, but too rarely to ever be considered a legend or star player.
I'd be content to see him move on, although if he was committed and trying I'd be equally delighted.
I'd expect to see him at Hibs next season, which would probably suit him.
Good luck to him, he's provided some great Accies moments.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Mon May 01, 2017 3:53 pm

Hope not worse than a man short.
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon May 01, 2017 7:43 pm

I guess we are all in the same boat. We've seen how good he has been but he's looking like he will never return to that form under this team.

Ali on the RW...dunno about that, anything is worth a punt instead of exposing Dougie's one foot football playing him on the right.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby YeOldeHamiltonian » Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 pm

He has went from being our main man to a squad player in less than half a season.That is some turnaround.
YeOldeHamiltonian
Premiership

Postby Yer Sisters Yer Maw » Wed May 03, 2017 3:19 am

If he showed more workrate and desire, our fans would maybe cut him some slack and give him more support through his poor run of form, but recently it look like he can't be arsed and as a result he brings very little to the team. Shame, as when he's on his game he's usually our star man, but these games are few and far between now.
Yer Sisters Yer Maw
Seaside Leagues

Postby judgeflash » Wed May 03, 2017 9:40 pm

YeOldeHamiltonian wrote:He has went from being our main man to a squad player in less than half a season.That is some turnaround.

Key goals haven't meant that he's had a good season all round. It was the same last season, he had a good half season then disappeared. This seems to be a pattern.
I don't think he has the speed or power to work a wing. When he was in midfield coming deeper to pick up the passes he shows signs of greatness, against Killie he was playing like a supporting striker for most of his time on the pitch and was VERY ineffective.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby silverfox » Fri May 05, 2017 9:33 pm

I pretty much agree with all the criticisms of Ali this season........but in a match like tomorrow, where a wee bit of magic may be required , I would start with him
silverfox
Seaside Leagues

Postby Bomber Harris » Fri May 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Yer Sisters Yer Maw wrote:If he showed more workrate and desire, our fans would maybe cut him some slack and give him more support through his poor run of form, but recently it look like he can't be arsed and as a result he brings very little to the team. Shame, as when he's on his game he's usually our star man, but these games are few and far between now.

Think Ali's support stopped last season at Dens when he flicked the didget at the loyal travelling support after a 4-0 defeat. He has never been forgiven for that and funny that the last idiot that had a go at traveling support is no longer with the club. Ali can join Kurtaj
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:34 am

Funny how you never hear anybody detailing what words of encouragement the poor wee sensitive souls of the loyal travelling support were giving around the same time. That said it's not too hard to imagine and not too hard to understand why players don't just ignore it all of the time.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Return to The Accies