Top of the league

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Re: Top of the league

Postby Big Wurzil » Thu May 04, 2017 9:56 pm

So we didn't win the development league but that's football. We didn't do enough to want to win it.

On tonight's display against a typical Celtic youth team we don't have much threatening a first team bench place let alone a starting place.

For me it's strange to see our no2 to MC coach a team to play everything long when he's sitting every Saturday watching his boss make us play out from the back. It didn't work as Celtic easily coped. Did he change it? No

Surely the onus is on every team from whatever age up plays the same style as the 1st team so it's an easy transition should they make the move up. Obviously not
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby accies1874 » Thu May 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Not good enough tonight, but the 20s have nonetheless done really well to finish 2nd. Templeton is absolutely horrific, even at that level, and should be nowhere near the first team. Tierney didn't really get much change out of their two humongous centre-backs. I think Want and Gogic did alright up against Celtic's front line. They really were cheats, weren't they? Time-wasting when a draw still puts them behind us in third, rolling around then getting up and mouthing off. Even with that and their superior budget, they can only finish behind us and County :lol:
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Fri May 05, 2017 8:00 am

Still a great season for us at that level; I didn't see the lack of 'wanting it' or the poor tactics - I saw our team more than match the best youths the largest club in Scotland has nurtured at great expense. It is clear to me from watching some U20s games that the players are brought through to keep the ball and pass it - but that doesn't mean a concrete and defined set up that never changes.

Only at Accies could someone see us almost win the U20s league whilst providing players to the first team, and indeed our first team is the ONLY UK team to make the Euro top 100 for the most minutes played by home coached players; and yet a point is made that there is a disjoin between our youth development and the top team :roll:.

Both teams matched up and there was not a lot of space as each team worked hard to limit chances - accordingly on occasions each team went long but we certainly kept our shape far better than Celtic and we kept going for the full 90 much easier than them - they were done at the end and were desperate for the whistle - albeit they didn't allow us to create much.

Gogic was the stand out, Templeton had a few nice touches, passes and turns but still slow and struggling to finish the 90 mins and although he has lost some weight I think any of us could be trimmer if we were working on it for the same amount of time.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Previous

Return to The Accies