Are we good enough to stay up?

Match day discussion, transfers, and all things Accies

Are we good enough to stay up?

Postby Bomber Harris » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:50 pm

Yes we are. Our players are more than capable of staying up but with our current management team we will go down. It's clear Martin Canning is lost, if your honest you'll realise were in the 1/4 final of the Scottish cup thanks to Craig Thompson and you will have noticed we've not won in 90 minutes this season against championship teams. I'll admit I've been negative since Martin took over and totally hate the way things are going but myself and other "moaners" are being proved right. Question is do we continue with this garbage, players heads down and just roll over or do we demand change now so we may have a chance of staying up. today was a chance and now we go into games v Celtic, Rangers( cup ) Aberdeen, hearts, Rangers and St Johnstone. It's time to wake up accies fans. what do you all want?
Fat Alan has left the building. Cheers ta pirate
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Re: Are we good enough to stay up?

Postby Euan » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:05 am

We can stay up, but it's looking likely to be via the play-offs, after today's result.
Realistically I'd expect us to win it and stay up, but if we do go down we should be good enough to bounce back if we can hold on to most of the development squad players e.g. Docherty, Devlin, Crawford, Brophy and Gillespie, plus Daz, Woods, Bingham and D'Acol.
We're close to being a decent team, whether it's a new manager or just time to develop (possibly at a lower level for McMann, Want, Boyd, Watson etc,) I'm not sure.
We do really well in the development league every year which gives me confidence for the future, so I'm not too concerned if we do go down, but it's a hard league to escape from and we need to be in the SPL if our development model is to work.
The cup game is now a distraction, we need league points.
I'd have taken a win today over one at Ibrox, as we're not going to win the cup anyway.
Next four or five games are daunting, 1-2 points at best.
Euan
Premiership

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:47 am

"I am not to concerned at going down" we will not bounce back up. Our last relegation squad was not good enough to bounce back up. Ali, Alex, Doc will be off if we go down. come the summer Ali and Gills will be 6 months off signing pre contracts so they will be for sale at any price. D'Acol will be away on a free and the rest will be a fire sale when we go down. Do you realise the amount of Accies players out of contract at the end of the season? only player guaranteed next season as of contract are Daz & Bingham
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby WAC » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 am

No . We had our chance in January. Decent manager and 2/3 good signings would have done it
WAC
Seaside Leagues

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:58 am

Lots of people were convinced they were being proved right at this time last year.

If people think we have no chance of finishing above ICT and Killie then i don't agree.

There are clear conclusions just awaiting convenient facts. performances or circumstances that can be twisted or just lied about. All other stuff is just ignored.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Willie Wastle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:01 am

That was a big defeat yesterday, but we're not adrift yet. Nobody is, this season, although ICT remain everyone's favourites for the automatic relegation spot.

Forget the might-have-beens - we are where we are, and no doubt others are sizing us up for the play-off spot. But it depends how those others do, as much as what we do ourselves. How will Killie cope with Clark's departure? Can McCulloch keep them up? Motherwell seem to be in freefall these last few weeks. And both Dundee and Ross County have shown a fragility this season, which if it returns could do for them.

This relegation fight is far from over.
sic a wife as Willie had, I wadna gie a button for her!
Willie Wastle
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:30 pm

We are going down and also in the automatic place. Simply not enough belief from the payers that they are decent, too many goals being conceded and a spell of about 6 games against top 6 sides. This will destroy what little confidence the players have and after the 6 games I would expect us to be bottom.

Canning will remain as manager as we all know until at least end of season. Not sure if the board will stick with him beyond that. I would expect them to stick with him until at lease Christmas to see how things are going. Championship is a very difficult league not much between all sides
smc4761
Premiership

Postby monkeybones » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:39 pm

If you have watched football for enough years you know when a team is going to get relegated. We will this year. Not a good enough team and poor tactics.

It would need a drastic change of manager or playing staff to avoid. The weeks are running out.
monkeybones
Seaside Leagues

Postby accies1874 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Inverness looked abysmal at NDP a few weeks ago, but their performances in the other two games certainly weren't as bad. They've picked up a couple of decent points in their last two games, too.
Our performances have been pretty concerning in our last three games. The first half against Killie was poor as well. However we've done well in some games - Inverness and Aberdeen were fantastic - but we've gone from drawing games that we should've won to struggling in most games.
A very tough run coming up. We need to try and wrangle at least a couple of draws against Aberdeen and Hearts to put us in a better position going into the split.
accies1874
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:54 pm

monkeybones wrote:If you have watched football for enough years you know when a team is going to get relegated. We will this year. Not a good enough team and poor tactics.

It would need a drastic change of manager or playing staff to avoid. The weeks are running out.

Exactly how many years does this skill take to develop ?

Also can you detail the fortunes that this level of certainty has sure to have brought to you via your local friendly bookmakers ?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Stevie Clarke » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:55 pm

accies1874 wrote:Inverness looked abysmal at NDP a few weeks ago, but their performances in the other two games certainly weren't as bad. They've picked up a couple of decent points in their last two games, too.
Our performances have been pretty concerning in our last three games. The first half against Killie was poor as well. However we've done well in some games - Inverness and Aberdeen were fantastic - but we've gone from drawing games that we should've won to struggling in most games.
A very tough run coming up. We need to try and wrangle at least a couple of draws against Aberdeen and Hearts to put us in a better position going into the split.

Inverness have a bit of fight about them now, maybe spurred on by Foran's comments after NDP. Could anyone see Accies coming back from 0-2 down in any game as they did against Dundee and we have never taken anything from Tynecastle since late 70s I believe.
Stevie Clarke
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:36 pm

Can I ask how we have players allegedly good enough to survive, good enough for top 6 according to some and apparantly good enough to have NOTHING to fear from Rangers away; and yet our player recruitment is routinely and repeatedly criticised as being shocking?

Or is it just about picking certain points to suit certain agendas?
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby Begs.hafc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:37 pm

We're in the 1/4 finals thanks to Craig Thompson.How the feck do you work that out?we had another 2 good penalty claims turned down.
Begs.hafc
Seaside Leagues

Postby Big Wurzil » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:41 pm

I think we're struggling and as someone already said it could be the automatic place.

We're in poor poor run of not just results but performances. We're hardly creating chances for us to claim that we've been just unlucky in games. We need docherty and Crawford back just for something a bit different on the park as we're very predictable and stale at times.

And ultimately canning needs to dispense with this donati as an extra defender nonsense as it's achieved nothing in every game I've saw.
Big Wurzil
Championship

Postby Bomber Harris » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Begs.hafc wrote:We're in the 1/4 finals thanks to Craig Thompson.How the feck do you work that out?we had another 2 good penalty claims turned down.

Because McMann dived outside the box and daft Thompson gave a penalty. Cheers for asking
Bomber Harris
Premiership

Postby smc4761 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:04 pm

redandwhite1874 wrote:Can I ask how we have players allegedly good enough to survive, good enough for top 6 according to some and apparantly good enough to have NOTHING to fear from Rangers away; and yet our player recruitment is routinely and repeatedly criticised as being shocking?

We do have some decent players problem is we dont have enough of them and some of them perform well in only some of the games. I appreciate that players cannot be in top form all of the time, proble is we only have 1 or 2 who seem to perform week in week out.

there is no point in giving a list of shocking signings I am pretty sure you would know them all. Struggling to think of many signings who have come in and done well consistently for us. Most of the regular decent performers have come through the system
smc4761
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:45 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:Can I ask how we have players allegedly good enough to survive, good enough for top 6 according to some and apparantly good enough to have NOTHING to fear from Rangers away; and yet our player recruitment is routinely and repeatedly criticised as being shocking?

Are you going for the SLO assistant job? You seem to sit on the fence a lot and just pick at peoples opinions, whilst not really giving your own.

The players have the ability, they've shown it in the past. A few key signings and we certainly could've been challenging for a top 6 place. The board invested massively in our youth policy and it is paying off, they need to however start putting some faith in the first team and support it so it can reach it's potential.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:39 am

Well that's the first time I have been accused of not giving an opinion on here and sitting on the fence.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Postby judgeflash » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:47 am

redandwhite1874 wrote:Well that's the first time I have been accused of not giving an opinion on here and sitting on the fence.

Just an observation, seems more devils advocate rather than having emotions.
judgeflash
Premiership

Postby redandwhite1874 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:47 pm

judgeflash wrote:
redandwhite1874 wrote:Well that's the first time I have been accused of not giving an opinion on here and sitting on the fence.

Just an observation, seems more devils advocate rather than having emotions.

OK moving this on, I have been clear that I don't think our recruitment is as bad as made out. This position is widely disagreed with which is fair enough; but the contradiction is that the same folk ridiculing the board for player recruitment then say the squad is good enough for mid table when they want to criticise the manager.
redandwhite1874
Premiership

Next

Return to The Accies